Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel retiring the Tavor in favor of the M4

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Huh? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Colt would never produce weapons for China....that'd be illegal, and obviously not approved by State. Not to mention the QBZ-191 isn't of Colt design, license or patent to begin with.

China already makes clones of IWI products as well....at least, that's the impression I got from seeing the now defunct Fuerza Federales in Mexico armed with Galil SARs and Tavors with Chinese script on them.
    Oh no, I meant for the IDF. I was referring back to the original artical.

The new Chinese rifle is being made by Norinco.

IWI already makes a AR clone for the US market, but I'm pretty sure thats a product produced in Harrisonburg PA by their US subsidary.... It is way cheaper for them to buy US made ARs than start domestic production .... been that way for a while.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

The bullpup seems like a powerful idea until you live with one is my conclusion.

I grabbed a Tavor 21 when the first ones became available here a few years back. As with most bullpups the trigger was awful, I found it to be awkward and unbalanced trying to mount the rifle and shoot off hand, too many sharp edges, a poor cheek weld, lots of gas to the face, and average accuracy, so I sent it down the road. I really wanted to like it but after a couple of years of shooting it a lot, I did not care for it. Before that I spent a fortune modifying one of the Bushmaster Austrailian (Eden Pine) bull pups, shortening the barrel, lightening cuts, etc. etc. and it still stank as an ungainly thing, although it ran fine. A close friend and shooting buddy purchased the FN 2000 thing and after some range time with it I found it worse than the others in terms of being comfortable to carry, mount, shoot easily. The AUG is the bullpup I cannot bring myself to sell, but I doubt someone can ever sell me another one of any design.

I know a guy who is a reservist captain in IDF and he told me he hated the Tavor and wanted his M4 carbine back that he had carried when he was on active duty.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Maybe they got a good deal on M4s from the Taliban?
    That would be the greatest irony ever.

I say this because our military was stopped from using Israeli (IMI) ammo to shoot Tallywackers. Apparently it was bad form and bad optics for US troops to shoot Muslims with Israeli ammo. So I guess we had to show them we cared and use only good ole US manufactured ammo to send them to their final destination.

At one point we had four AUGs on our SWAT team. They were originally for the sniper observers but they got transitioned to our entry guys. I worked with two guys that carried them. They were incredibly proficient with them. They had very fast reloads. I liked the AUGS but I was carrying a HK53 and didn’t want to give that up.

The AUGs got shot enough that they needed new parts that just weren’t out there. We switched to M4s and all the AUGs got retired.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I say this because our military was stopped from using Israeli (IMI) ammo to shoot Tallywackers. Apparently it was bad form and bad optics for US troops to shoot Muslims with Israeli ammo. So I guess we had to show them we cared and use only good ole US manufactured ammo to send them to their final destination.
    What is your reference/source for making this statement?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    It means exactly what it means... perfect can be the enemy of good enough in some cases... and you can't always gauge others equipment decisions based on what we in the west think of our induvidual rifleman and his survivalibility... most others dont really care about that to be honest....
    Tank historian Nicholas "the Chieftain" Moran once noted that the WWII German panzer armies won most of their battles when they were still using technically inferior tanks.

Leadership, tactics, and training are often more important than numbers or technology- as you probably very well know from personal experience.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What is your reference/source for making this statement?
    I read that moons ago. A little DuckDuckGo foo and here you go.

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-new...posts?page=124

Army Told Not to Use Israeli Bullets in Iraq
    myway ^ | June 24,2004
    Posted on 6/24/2004, 6:57:10 PM by Woahhs

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Israeli-made bullets bought by the U.S. Army to plug a shortfall should be used for training only, not to fight Muslim guerrillas in Iraq and Afghanistan, U.S. lawmakers told Army generals on Thursday.

Since the Army has other stockpiled ammunition, "by no means, under any circumstances should a round (from Israel) be utilized," said Rep. Neil Abercrombie of Hawaii, the top Democrat on a House of Representatives Armed Services subcommittee with jurisdiction over land forces.

The Army contracted with Israel Military Industries Ltd. in December for $70 million in small-caliber ammunition.

The Israeli firm was one of only two worldwide that could meet U.S. technical specifications and delivery needs, said Brig. Gen. Paul Izzo, the Army's program executive officer for ammunition. The other was East Alton, Illinois-based Winchester Ammunition, which also received a $70 million contract.

Although the Army should not have to worry about "political correctness," Abercrombie was making a valid point about the propaganda pitfalls of using Israeli rounds in the U.S.-declared war on terror, said Rep. Curt Weldon, the Pennsylvania Republican who chairs the subcommittee on tactical air and land forces.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I read that moons ago. A little DuckDuckGo foo and here you go.

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-new...posts?page=124
    Oh! Well, I guess it's unpossible then that a congresscritter or two just wanted their name in the news since that ammo, as well as the other substitute standard ammo ordered from Britain and Winchester for the same shortage was slated for training instead of combat use since its.....substitute standard.

[sarcasm]0bVIously a librul PC PERVERSHUN of AmuriCAH! [/sarcasm]
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    At one point we had four AUGs on our SWAT team. They were originally for the sniper observers but they got transitioned to our entry guys. I worked with two guys that carried them. They were incredibly proficient with them. They had very fast reloads. I liked the AUGS but I was carrying a HK53 and didn’t want to give that up.

The AUGs got shot enough that they needed new parts that just weren’t out there. We switched to M4s and all the AUGs got retired.
    My understanding is that after the import Ban of 1989, which banned the further import of civilian semi-auto AUGs, Steyr did a bad job of supplying spare parts, which effected any AUGs used by police and law enforcement agencies.

User Tag List