Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID 19: Violence; Threats; Criminal Activity

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m surprised the current administration hasn’t made it a priority for DOJ to prosecute anyone caught with a forged vaccination card at this point.

The violence is concerning in the same way similar violence is for me. I look at people getting violent about being told to wear masks the same as I do at people who get violent over parking space disputes or road rage issues. Maybe some of these people have deep seated anger issues and are easily triggered to a violent response. Masks might just happen to be the thing that provoked them today but it could easily be something else. Maybe some of them view it as a respect issue the way the man who murdered Deputy Dinkheller later stated the trigger for him was when the Deputy ordered him to remove his hands from his pockets. “Who the hell is this guy to tell me to wear a mask?”

There are a lot of fish swimming in our pond that just aren’t all there.

ETA: regarding the ANTIFA vs. Proud Boys protest people getting into it with each other, is this any different than other rallies in which our favorite political violence enthusiasts have gotten into it with each other? If both sides have a good amount of people who are only there for the violence, the issues like masking wouldn’t really matter in the sense that they could be substituted with any other issue to justify getting down to business.
    I was going to bring up the road rage issue. We have our share of that around here. I've been involved in at least one RR incident where a guy came at my vehicle with a tire iron. No real reason other than I was waiting too long at an intersection to suit him. I figured out a way to avoid a confrontation with the guy but it could have easily become a very bad day for him.

Now it seems the mask has just added to the crazies going postal. I see the violence escalating and nothing really surprises me anymore.

Wait until hospitals start turning away unvaccinated people seeking treatment for covid. Our local hospital is full of unvaccinated covid patients.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-06-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Wait until hospitals start turning away unvaccinated people seeking treatment for covid. Our local hospital is full of unvaccinated covid patients.
    My prior time working with the health department makes me think this is very, very unlikely. You’ll see tent hospitals before that happens. Dying in a DRASH… ugh.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My prior time working with the health department makes me think this is very, very unlikely. You’ll see tent hospitals before that happens. Dying in a DRASH… ugh.
    I think it likely that you will see refusals for elective procedures.

If transitional care units and nursing homes won't take the unvaccinated, how can you gamble on a doing a hip or knee for an unvaccinated patient? If they need the TCU you are stuck with them...

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I think it likely that you will see refusals for elective procedures.

If transitional care units and nursing homes won't take the unvaccinated, how can you gamble on a doing a hip or knee for an unvaccinated patient? If they need the TCU you are stuck with them...
    I think we are seeing this already - my response was to unvaccinated covid patients being turned away.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    ...Antifa clashes with anti-vaccine mandate protesters, 1 shot...
    Oh, the irony.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Oh, the irony.
    Lost on many.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    is this any different than other rallies in which our favorite political violence enthusiasts have gotten into it with each other?
    Everybody else wins when assholes show up and shoot each other. We shouldn't discourage them too much.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    https://www.expressnews.com/news/hou...xpressBriefing

Verbal, physical attacks on health workers surge as emotions boil during latest COVID-19 wave

When the security guard at Methodist Hospital San Antonio met the visitor at the door of the children’s emergency room on a Saturday afternoon in early August, the officer’s request was simple: The man needed to get a temperature screening to make sure he showed no early signs of COVID-19 before entering the hospital.

The man refused, became agitated and began angrily shouting, pulling out his camera to record the guard and hospital staff. The scene got so tense that San Antonio police were called, but the man stormed off in anger before the officer could arrive.

Texas hospital workers and health care officials say incidents like it have been rising in both number and intensity this summer as tensions boil during the delta-fueled fourth surge in COVID-19 hospitalizations.

“Our staff have been cursed at, screamed at, threatened with bodily harm and even had knives pulled on them,” said Jane McCurley, chief nursing executive for Methodist Healthcare System.

Nurses and hospital staffers are historically vulnerable to workplace violence due to the nature of their jobs, where they deal with people who are having bad reactions to street drugs or mental breaks and often have to give bad news to patients or family already in extreme pain or emotional distress.

But the pandemic has exacerbated the stress that can escalate into threats and violence, as people are now contending with not just the virus but also job loss and other stresses, said Karen Garvey, vice president of patient safety and clinical risk management at Parkland Health & Hospital System in Dallas.

Garvey said confrontations at Parkland just this year have included “people being punched in the chest, having urine thrown on them and inappropriate sexual innuendos or behaviors in front of staff members. The verbal abuse, the name-calling, racial slurs … we’ve had broken bones, broken noses.”

Visitors and patients assaulting hospital staff “was an epidemic before the pandemic — it was just silent to the public,” she added.

A 2013 Texas law made it a felony to assault an emergency room nurse, but legislation that would have expanded that to include nurses in other areas of a hospital died in the Texas Senate earlier this year.

With hospitals reporting historic nursing shortages as the pandemic drags on, the fear is that the “alarming rate” of escalation will be the last straw for nurses who are physically worn out after fighting a pandemic for 18 months, thin on compassion for people who need care after choosing not to be vaccinated, and afraid for their own personal safety, said Houston pediatrician Dr. Giancarlos Toledanes.

“With the escalation of this violence toward health care workers, we’re going to lose the workers that are deemed essential,” he said.

‘Tempers are high’

The Texas Department of State Health Services doesn’t track incidents of aggression against hospital staff outside of its regular surveys, the next of which will be done next year, a spokesperson said.

But as health officials across Texas watch hospital ICUs and pediatric units overflow with record numbers of mostly unvaccinated people, they say the surge in aggression toward health care workers is obvious.

Many of the problems being reported in recent months include disagreements over masking and screening protocols that people don’t have to follow in other places, particularly after most mandatory protocols were banned in recent months by Gov. Greg Abbott, officials said.

Confrontations are sometimes caused by hours- or dayslong waits in emergency rooms that are so full of COVID-19 patients that there is no room for anyone else, health care workers said.

“Tempers are high,” said Carrie Kroll, director of advocacy for the Texas Hospital Association. “To the point where some systems are putting a security guard at check-in because family members are getting so abusive.”

At the Katy campus of Texas Children’s Hospital west of Houston, Toledanes said some parents get verbally abusive over rules that require them to wait for COVID-19 test results before more than one parent is allowed into a room with a sick child.

“It’s escalated a lot more,” he said, “especially now that we’ve gotten a little bit stricter with our policies” due to the surge.

In mid-August, the escalating reports prompted the Texas Hospital Association to take to social media with an image of an exhausted nurse’s face, mask pulled below her chin. The image reads: “Don’t forget the person behind the mask.”

The glue that holds this society together seems to be nearing or past its expiration date.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...K8iZX-Nt8kt3Cs

Vt. State Troopers Accused in Fake Vaccine Card Scheme Resign

Three Vermont state troopers who are accused of being involved in a scheme to create fraudulent COVID-19 vaccination cards have resigned, state police said Tuesday.

Troopers Shawn Sommers and Raymond Witkowski resigned Aug. 10, a day after a fellow trooper told supervisors about the alleged scheme. Trooper David Pfindel resigned Sept. 3 following further investigation, according to a state police news release.

The three ex-troopers are suspected of having varying roles in the making of fraudulent vaccination cards, according to the release.

"The accusations in this case involve an extraordinary level of misconduct — a criminal violation of the law — and I could not be more upset and disappointed," Col. Matthew T. Birmingham, director of the Vermont State Police, said in the release. "If these allegations are proved to be true, it is reprehensible that state troopers would manipulate vaccination cards in the midst of a pandemic, when being vaccinated is one of the most important steps anyone can take to keep their community safe from COVID-19."

Sommers and Witkowski both joined the Vermont State Police in July 2016. Pfindel was hired in January 2014, police said.

An email seeking comment from the Vermont Troopers Association was not immediately returned on Tuesday.

Federal authorities are investigating the allegations. Vermont State Police declined to comment further due to the FBI investigation.

User Tag List