Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID 19: Violence; Threats; Criminal Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    This is straying into politics, so it's probably going to get moved.

Using forged health records is in many cases a felony. In the eyes of the law, and the eyes of the gun shop running a NICS check on your purchase, your justification for acquiring that felony record won't matter.
    And if you were a gay man who had consensual sex with another gay man 40 years ago in many states, that felony record would keep you from owning a gun. If you were black and drank from a whites only water fountain you’d be unable to buy a gun after that conviction.

A potential felony conviction that prevents you from buying a gun seems like less of a concern than a 100% guarantee of being unemployed and losing your home.

There is no restriction that I know of that doesn't allow entry into a grocery store if you're unvaccinated. What's your source?
    NYC wants to ban businesses from allowing customers to enter unless they validate their vaccine cards. Unsure how far along in making this law it is, but it’s been proposed in a serious way.

Going to school has had attached vaccination requirements going back decades. Were you not vaccinated to go to school?
    Measles mumps and rubella have a significantly higher death rate in children than 0.0001%

If we want to keep children safe in school and avoid overcrowding hospitals, let’s mandate a maximum A1C threshold to enroll in school.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    The issue is that they want to prevent you from having a job, going to school, freely traveling or buying groceries if you are unvaccinated.

So one really isn’t free to avoid the vaccination unless you’re okay not having a job, not earning money, and not buying food.

I think it’s different if one is forging a vaccine card to fly to Hawaii for a beach vacation, or to enter an indoor arena to see a concert, versus if they’re doing it to continue to be allowed to maintain employment in a 100% remote work-from-home job that the government now dictates you must be vaccinated to maintain that job.
    Vaccination requirements for jobs, schools, travel etc (and limited exceptions to same) are not anything new. Most of us are simply not old enough to have first hand experience with why they exist.

Like all freedoms, the freedom to choose not to be vaccinated still carries responsibility to not be an asshole and spread COVID. Masking up and getting tested in lieu of vaccination accomplishes that and is therefore a reasonable alternative.

Using a fake vaccination card does not accomplish that. It means you are lying to the people around you about the risk you pose and covertly exposing them to greater risk for your own convenience. That’s the polite way of saying it makes you a selfish asshole.

Remember cloth /surgical masks are not to protect you, they are to protect others FROM you.

Outside the military, I don’t see any 100% vaccination mandate surviving legal challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Vaccination requirements for jobs, schools, travel etc (and limited exceptions to same) are not anything new. Most of us are simply not old enough to have first hand experience with why they exist.

Like all freedoms, the freedom to choose not to be vaccinated still carries responsibility to not be an asshole and spread COVID. Masking up and getting tested in lieu of vaccination accomplishes that and is therefore a reasonable alternative.

Using a fake vaccination card does not accomplish that. It means you are lying to the people around you about the risk you pose and covertly exposing them to greater risk for your own convenience. That’s the polite way of saying it makes you a selfish asshole.

Remember cloth /surgical masks are not to protect you, they are to protect others FROM you.
    You raise some very good points. And it seems to be in line with constitutional carry discussions.

I think most here prefer constitutional carry in spite of government licensing which opens to door to places like Cali and NYC making it impossible to carry a gun.

Would we rather have people take personal responsibility for gun ownership and sometimes that dangerous freedom results in gun accidents, or government licensing that becomes a defacto prohibition of gun carrying?

Would we rather people unvaccinated or not, take personal responsibility and wear a mask if they’re sick, stay home if they have a fever, or have the government mandate vaccine passports to have a job or buy food?

Not that you personally are saying this, but: it’s easy for many to say “well personal responsibility would work except for CNN showing a few unmasked Karens coughing on people on purpose” so we need to mandate vaccines. The same as it’s easy to say “well personal responsibility would work for guns except for these handful of publicized cases so no one can have or carry guns”

Outside the military, I don’t see any 100% vaccination mandate surviving legal challenges.
    This seems like it would be a good way to identify those who have not had the vaccine...

Plus, think of the aerobic exercise benefit.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Irony, in the land that prides itself on cooking cow.
    No, there are just many more options for the form of cooked cow here than just burgers.

You can get a good burger in TX, you can even get a Hamburguesa Mexicana, but you can also get good Brisket, Barbacoa, Parrilladas, Carne Asada, Tripas, Lengua, Mollejas etc

Every region has its strengths and weaknesses. NY certainly proves the rule that one should never order Mexican food North of Dallas or West of the Mississippi.

The only form of cooked cow elusive in TX is good Jewish Deli (pastrami/Corned beef/tongue) With the demise of Katz’s in Austin it’s pretty much limited to DFW/Houston.

Deleted. This is a hopeless mess.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-11-2021 at 03:59 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    This seems like it would be a good way to identify those who have not had the vaccine...

Plus, think of the aerobic exercise benefit.
    It’s not a matter of identifying. If you have another way for unvaccinated persons to minimize potentially spreading COVID that doesn’t involve masks or quarantines I’m all ears.

There are people who are vaccinated and still wearing masks to mitigate risks to either themselves or others.

Lighten up H, or I'll have the proper authorities remove your humor card.

We're all on this sinking ship together.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    NY certainly proves the rule that one should never order Mexican food North of Dallas or West of the Mississippi.
    I'm assuming you mean East of the Mississippi.

Personally, I draw the line at Corpus. Haven't spent a ton of time in SAT, but all the good Mexican food I've had in TX has been Corpus or west of there. Can't say I've had any I'd go back for seconds of anywhere east of there.

Careful about the North of Dallas. Los Angeles I think qualifies, and there's some dang good Mexican food there. (It's about half as far from MX as I am sitting typing this.) And, Buttonwillow, CA (on Hwy. 58, which runs east-west through Bakersfield) has Tita's Pupuseria, which is legendary in some circles. AZ and NM would likely also cause trouble with that part of the rule.

I support the rule in concept, though. There are a couple Mexican restaurants where I grew up north of Seattle that were considered to be good in their local communities. Going back after ~20 years living in LA, I found them to be of a quality that would get a person banned from restaurant choosing in a place where people know better.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We're all on this sinking ship together.
    *ahem, cough, clears throat*

Name:  LaMontagneTitanic.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  74.0 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List