Thread: Bas Rutten stand up seminar this morning

Bas Rutten stand up seminar this morning

Just finished a very non-stop and dehydrating striking seminar with Bas. It’s no joke that I feel like I learned more in 3 1/2 hours than I learned in 3 1/2 years in the boxing gym—although that’s a bit unfair: the time in the old-school boxing place prepped me to get the most out of Bas’ seminar, which was *heavily* influenced by both his admiration of Mike Tyson, and his own stellar track record as a serious fighter.

The whole seminar was based on a squared up MMA stance (as opposed to bladed, per trad boxing), go figure, and rotation and “loading” principles. 3.5 straight hours of combos, all based on an idea that was illustrated in one of those old “karate kid” movies from the 80s with the little rotating toy hand drum. The idea was: everything loads on that rotation, and hooks, uppercuts, low line kicks, and high/midline kicks all come from the same place.

Aside from probably losing 5lbs this morning, it was a blast. Right place, right time, right oldster student: I feel like my entire striking game just got an major overhaul.

In all, most def recommend.
    ”When antisemitism moves from the shameful fringe into the public square, it is not about Jews… it is about the surrounding society or the culture or the country. It is an early warning system—a sign that the society itself is breaking down. That it is dying.” -Bari Weiss

Site Supporter
    Sounds awesome!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Time to dig out my Bas training CD's and get back into it.

Thanks for the reminder and inspiration.

Tyson's squared up, "peek a boo" style isn't one taught down at our gym as you've already pointed out but neither is Mayweather's shoulder roll or any other style. I am sure every style has its pros and cons which fit different personalities and abilities. I could see how the squared off style makes it easier to throw the left hook (for right handers) as you don't have to rotate as much to load it up compared to bladed.

You should come down to the gym soon, would be good to see you.

Bas is hilarious when he is trying to be funny. Did he bring any of that to the seminar or was he all business?

Those old self defense videos were hilarious.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

User Tag List