Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales of the Stakeout Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The best way, imo, is to contact the seller and just send a check, directly.
    How? Through Gunbroker, or is there another way?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Gunbroker allows you to contact the seller. Do that and ask if you can send a check. He gets them out as quickly as he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    @Guerrero

Standby for a PM. I think I still have his email for you to reach out directly.

ETA: Sent
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I was somewhere between5-10 on when I stopped saying that.
    That transition from "I can't believe they pay me to do this stuff" to "I can't believe how little they pay me to do this crap" can be a painful process. I think it was at about 5 years for me. But now, at my advanced age, I have worked my way to where I am enjoying what I do. Mostly.

Great thread.

I remember @Mas earliest articles about the Stakeout Unit, and told about the unit even earlier by my retired grand uncle (Newark Police from '36-'66).

I was explaining this to my wife and found this gem on YouTube as a result.

https://youtu.be/Tempcmb5hZU
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

I have not had a chance to read the thread yet but thought some of you may appreciate this.

The gun I am holding in my grubby hands (we were doing a revolver shoot) belongs to our friend Ken Hackathorn.

It used to be Jim Cirillo's. Ken managed to talk him out of it years ago.

An extremely cool piece of history for sure.

JLW, Dave from Atlanta brother, I met one of our local Stakeout guys who was retired from APD. He was a super nice guy. Won’t mention his name online, but he worked at a local gunshop I used to frequent. While looking over the wares that day, I overhead a middle aged woman asking about a proper gun for self defense. He stated “of all the gunfights I have been in the Model 10 had never failed!

When she left I chatted him up and he opened up about his career that seemed on par with those of Cirrilo’s and Allard’s experience. It was about the same time somewhere in the 70’s. Long story short, he was the winner in 17 gunfights. He had similar things to say about shot placement, marksmanship, gun selection, etc. It was a great conversation, more about the history, that time and the men that were protecting us!

Dave

Tales of the Stakeout Squad is a great book.

Holloway's Raiders - https://www.amazon.com/Holloways-Rai...s%2C326&sr=8-1 - Is also awesome in discussing the Shotgun Stakeout Squads of Dallas PD, which pre-date the NYC ones by nearly 2-decades.

DPD shot a lot of bad guys during that time...

Holloway was famous for his little sayings (I'm paraphrasing): "The last thing a bad guy should hear is the snick of the safety coming off an 870."

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I have not had a chance to read the thread yet but thought some of you may appreciate this.

The gun I am holding in my grubby hands (we were doing a revolver shoot) belongs to our friend Ken Hackathorn.

It used to be Jim Cirillo's. Ken managed to talk him out of it years ago.

An extremely cool piece of history for sure.
    Which model is it?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Which model is it?
    It's gonna be a Model 10.

NYPD didn't authorize .357 Magnum for carry. Cirillo talks about it in his book, but basically the deal was:

2-4" .38 Special Colt or Smith and Wesson, fixed sight, revolvers, barrel length depended on your assignment (uniformed patrol was a 4" gun, plain clothes could carry 2 or 3" guns). The Model 10 and Colt Police Positive where the two main choices.

Backup guns were 'free' and typically officers on Stakeout Squads or SOU would carry at least two handguns, sometimes three or four, their 'standard' 4" fixed sight gun and then 'backups'. Cirillo usually carried a 4" heavy barrel M10 and a K38 Combat Masterpiece as his 'backup' (by his own admission). Bill Allard, whom he was frequently partnered with, carried a 4" M10 and a customized 1911 as a backup.

In Cirillo's book - https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Bullets-...76745160&psc=1 - He mentions post-Stakeout Squad carrying 2-3" guns as part of plainclothes assignments. I would bet this is one of those guns.

User Tag List