Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales of the Stakeout Squad

Back in the day (a bit before my time) businesses had hold up alarms that rang directly into the radio room and did not have to be relayed to the PD from the alarm company when the alarm was activated. This included some direct hold up alarms we installed in high risk businesses. Several bad guys were smoked due to the quick response times from officers based on this arrangement, including one I saw photos of early on in my career who caught a full load of 00 Buck at close range. I was told there were no longer direct reporting alarms due to politicians worried about the number of bad guys getting killed by police. I don't know if that was the case or if the number of hold up alarms increased to where it was not feasible to have them all report directly. I suspect it was mostly the latter.

My unit (Major Crimes) conducted a fair amount of robbery surveillance in the 7 years I was there but was only involved in one shooting. I do know that if a hold up guy got smoked by a business owner/employee or the police, and it was well reported in the news, armed robberies seemed to slow or actually cease for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    Back in the day (a bit before my time) businesses had hold up alarms that rang directly into the radio room and did not have to be relayed to the PD from the alarm company when the alarm was activated. This included some direct hold up alarms we installed in high risk businesses. Several bad guys were smoked due to the quick response times from officers based on this arrangement, including one I saw photos of early on in my career who caught a full load of 00 Buck at close range. I was told there were no longer direct reporting alarms due to politicians worried about the number of bad guys getting killed by police. I don't know if that was the case or if the number of hold up alarms increased to where it was not feasible to have them all report directly. I suspect it was mostly the latter.

My unit (Major Crimes) conducted a fair amount of robbery surveillance in the 7 years I was there but was only involved in one shooting. I do know that if a hold up guy got smoked by a business owner/employee or the police, and it was well reported in the news, armed robberies seemed to slow or actually cease for a bit.
    We had those for awhile when I was new. I was meeting with my Sergeant when one kicked out. I didn’t know what it was. My boss said follow me and scorched out of the lot. He explained it to me afterwards. I was like fuck yeah!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    We had those for awhile when I was new. I was meeting with my Sergeant when one kicked out. I didn’t know what it was. My boss said follow me and scorched out of the lot. He explained it to me afterwards. I was like fuck yeah!
    I just laughed when I read that. That feeling when you're new is priceless.

I know I've told this before, but when I was a newly minted agent, my very first raid was led by a former NYPD detective who now worked for my outfit...which was conducted in lower Manhattan at a Chinese gang run brothel.

I got to climb a fire escape, jump from one roof to another, climb down another fire escape, go in through a window and knock down a door. On the way out the madam smacked me on the ass and said "you come back".

I was ruined...I thought every day would be like that.

(Told another newb that started the same day as me, we had each been recruited following undercover assignments, "I'd do this fuckin' job for free!". I shortly thereafter learned the error of my ways. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    (Told another newb that started the same day as me, we had each been recruited following undercover assignments, "I'd do this fuckin' job for free!". I shortly thereafter learned the error of my ways. )
    I was somewhere between5-10 on when I stopped saying that.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    @Mas Ayoob has written about this subject, as long ago as the Eighties, if not the Seventies.\. Hopefully he will see the @Mas signal, and respond. IIRC, the armed robbers were killing too many folks, causing enough of an outcry that the city leaders felt compelled to do something.

Edited to add: I typed the above, before seeing Guerrero’s post.
    When I was down there in NYC in the early '70s researching the SOU, I was told that a particular spate of violent robbery-homicides had triggered public outrage and complaints from business people, and the result was the formation of the Stakeout Unit. I never did get the details, though.

The GB link is no longer working. Is there a way to order this directly?

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Try this

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918719612
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I meet Cirillo at FLETC in the early 80's when I was attending a pilot program for officer survival instructors. We had a couple days on the range and Cirillo struck me as a friendly guy who was did not particularly like the FLETC bureaucracy which was keeping firearms training from advancing as he thought it should. I enjoyed talking with him.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Thanks!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    The best way, imo, is to contact the seller and just send a check, directly.

User Tag List