Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Bulldog Classic

Charter Arms Bulldog Classic

Just picked up a new production Charter Arms Bulldog Classic. I always wanted one of the old ones, then I saw they were doing a retro model and ordered one up. The machine marks are somewhat crude, but I can live with an aesthetic issue. The cylinder locks up tight as a drumb and the trigger is actually pretty nice. Gotta get more rounds through it, but so far, it's pretty nice. The recoil with HSM Cowboy 44 special (200gr bullet at about 800fps) isn't that bad.

Glad to see they are finally rolling those guys out, been promised for a long time. Try the Speer Gold Dot 200grain Blazers for your CA. Also might want to see if Winchester still produces the 180 Silvertip in 44Special. Both loads primarily developed for 44 Spl small frame revolvers.

Would like a range report when you excercise that 44.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 11-21-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Add comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Glad to see they are finally rolling those guys out, been promised for a long time. Try the Speer Gold Dot 200grain Blazers for your CA. Also might want to see if Winchester still produces the 180 Silvertip in 44Special. Both loads primarily developed for 44 Spl small frame revolvers.

Would like a range report when you excercise that 44.
    It's gotta go back for an issue with the hammer sticking. The ejector rod is also sticking, now. They've been super nice to deal with at Charter Arms, though. Shipping is going to be covered both ways and they responded to my email in less than 24 hours. It's fun to shoot, so I hope to get it back soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    It's gotta go back for an issue with the hammer sticking. The ejector rod is also sticking, now. They've been super nice to deal with at Charter Arms, though. Shipping is going to be covered both ways and they responded to my email in less than 24 hours. It's fun to shoot, so I hope to get it back soon!
    So? Now it's just like the original runs...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    We shall see how it is when it comes back, lol

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Honestly, I'm just trying to standardize on 44 in revolvers (I've got Marlin in 44, and an S&W 69). I wanted something a little lighter than the 69 (and I've been shootin specials mostly anyway) so I figured the bulldog was a natural choice (and I still like the Bulldog). However, it is not designed to handle the hottest 44 specials. My solution: get the Charter fixed and hang on to it (it is still fun to shoot). Then, add an S&W 329PD to the collection, with the intent of running 44 special through it exclusively (and the ability to handle magnums is a nice feature).

Site Supporter
    If they did the .40 Pit Bull in the "classic" style, I would be very tempted.

I had a stainless version that worked and shot great. If yours is like the older versions you can put the small wooden .38 grips on it, then chop and Magnaport the barrel and you've got early '80s heat.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    It's gotta go back for an issue with the hammer sticking. The ejector rod is also sticking, now.
    I am less than surprised.

FWIW, mine nickel one developed so much endshake after 300 rounds of PMC 240gr and a couple boxes of Silvertips as to become useless.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Bummer, Classic, takes on a new connotation. Hope it comes back "tuned" and ready and able to protect life, limb and property. I will be watching with interest. Had one in the early 80s and traded it, would like to have another as the concept intrigues me.

User Tag List