Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tales of the Stakeout Squad

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Which model is it?
    It was as I recall a Model 10.

A 3" M10 HB definitely has a certain balance to it that is pretty hard to beat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Great thread.

I remember @Mas earliest articles about the Stakeout Unit, and told about the unit even earlier by my retired grand uncle (Newark Police from '36-'66).

I was explaining this to my wife and found this gem on YouTube as a result.

https://youtu.be/Tempcmb5hZU
    Check this one out: Televised debate on the Morton Downey Jr. show in the 80's including participation by Jim Cirillo.

Someone posted a revolver that Cirillo once owned. I had an interesting conversation with him while at FLETC regarding the revolver used in his first shooting:

Cirillo told me that a gun writer had asked about what had happened to the revolver with which he shot his first robber. Cirillo told me he told the guy that he didn't know, that he thought he had used the frame to build a PPC revolver. Cirillo told me the gun writer then exclaimed that he'd destroyed a piece of law enforcement history, he (Cirillo) seemed amused that someone thought that way.

I've cleaned the language he used up. LOL

Funny how people are different about things. I very rarely, like never, get rid of a firearm, I just get attached to them, I guess. Not like some folks I know who move firearms in and out of their safes like a revolving door.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Holloway's Raiders - https://www.amazon.com/Holloways-Rai...s%2C326&sr=8-1 - Is also awesome in discussing the Shotgun Stakeout Squads of Dallas PD, which pre-date the NYC ones by nearly 2-decades.

DPD shot a lot of bad guys during that time...

Holloway was famous for his little sayings (I'm paraphrasing): "The last thing a bad guy should hear is the snick of the safety coming off an 870."
    I had no idea this was anything but apocryphal. Live and learn.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Tales of the Stakeout Squad is a great book.

Holloway's Raiders - https://www.amazon.com/Holloways-Rai...s%2C326&sr=8-1 - Is also awesome in discussing the Shotgun Stakeout Squads of Dallas PD, which pre-date the NYC ones by nearly 2-decades.
    The book on Holloway's Raiders needed a good editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Someone posted a revolver that Cirillo once owned. I had an interesting conversation with him while at FLETC regarding the revolver used in his first shooting:

Cirillo told me that a gun writer had asked about what had happened to the revolver with which he shot his first robber. Cirillo told me he told the guy that he didn't know, that he thought he had used the frame to build a PPC revolver. Cirillo told me the gun writer then exclaimed that he'd destroyed a piece of law enforcement history, he (Cirillo) seemed amused that someone thought that way.

I've cleaned the language he used up. LOL

Funny how people are different about things. I very rarely, like never, get rid of a firearm, I just get attached to them, I guess. Not like some folks I know who move firearms in and out of their safes like a revolving door.
    That Cirillo conversation sounds awfully familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    It was as I recall a Model 10.

A 3" M10 HB definitely has a certain balance to it that is pretty hard to beat.
    You got that right

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    That Cirillo conversation sounds awfully familiar...
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Check this one out: Televised debate on the Morton Downey Jr. show in the 80's including participation by Jim Cirillo.

The thing that struck me the most was the general conservative tone of the host and audience. I can’t imagine a show like that airing on a traditional television network now.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The thing that nostruck me the most was the general conservative tone of the host and audience. I can’t imagine a show like that airing on a traditional television network now.
    You are not familiar with the late Morton Downey Jr. He had an over the top conservative TV show that engaged the guests. I believe it started in 1987 in New York City and ran for a few years. You can find a good selection of his shows on YouTube. Over the top and entertaining as all hell

Here is a good quick highlight video:

User Tag List