Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Tales of the Stakeout Squad

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I just ordered several for gifts. Fast response and shipping.
    thanks already got an email back from Paul going to order now!

Ordered last night and Paul already emailed me fyi.

With everyone from P-F that’s been ordering them, has anyone invited Mr Kirchner to join yet?🤣
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Ordered one for me and one for my dad. He was very prompt and appreciative.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    I recently ordered one and found it on Gunsite’s pro shop web store. $19.99. I’d have bought from the man himself if I had seen this first.

Got my copy today, the personalized signature is a nice touch. I didn’t think I would care but it’s really a nice touch.

It is, and I am half way through it already, and can't put it down.

And Done....it's awesome & at times funny!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's gonna be a Model 10.

NYPD didn't authorize .357 Magnum for carry. Cirillo talks about it in his book, but basically the deal was:

2-4" .38 Special Colt or Smith and Wesson, fixed sight, revolvers, barrel length depended on your assignment (uniformed patrol was a 4" gun, plain clothes could carry 2 or 3" guns). The Model 10 and Colt Police Positive where the two main choices.

Backup guns were 'free' and typically officers on Stakeout Squads or SOU would carry at least two handguns, sometimes three or four, their 'standard' 4" fixed sight gun and then 'backups'. Cirillo usually carried a 4" heavy barrel M10 and a K38 Combat Masterpiece as his 'backup' (by his own admission). Bill Allard, whom he was frequently partnered with, carried a 4" M10 and a customized 1911 as a backup.

In Cirillo's book - https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Bullets-...76745160&psc=1 - He mentions post-Stakeout Squad carrying 2-3" guns as part of plainclothes assignments. I would bet this is one of those guns.

It's been about 10 years since I read 'tales' from its first printing. But I seem to recall Jim using a number of custom handloaded .38 ammo on the stakekout squad. Either +p/+p+ backwards loaded hollow base wadcutters, or actual HP/JHP projectiles loaded hot. One time resulting in 'grape like' holes in the badguy.

I also recall that he found the single most one shot stop / 'lighting bolt' weapon for him was not shotguns or .223, but a .30 Carbine loaded with JHP. Which I thought was pretty surprising.

While we're on Kirchner books, his two best are his 'Deadliest Men' series, which is an amazing assortment of badasses across history, filled with colorful and amazing anecdotes of their exploits. Good guys and Bad Guys covered equally. Each book covers ~30-50 people

https://www.amazon.com/Deadliest-Men.../dp/1581602715

https://www.amazon.com/More-Deadlies.../dp/1581606907

His sequel I think is even better

User Tag List