Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Walther get more love?

Quote Originally Posted by TNK View Post
    Walther waited 14 years to move from the P99 to the PPQ. Consider how much the market in the U.S. changed as the striker-fired pistol with a consistent trigger pull took over. Walther tried a P99 with a "Quick Action" but this move was a false start (to put it nicely).

The PPQ was an improvement, but, as stated above, Glock and its significant aftermarket support, especially with trigger kits, was not to be challenged.

The P99 has seen wide use in European Law Enforcement. It is co-produced in Poland with Radom. But its paddle-style release made it a non-starter here.

Walther also took an unfortunate detour of a manufacturing and marketing partnership with Smith and Wesson. While we did get a SW99 in .45 ACP, there is not much else to say about this business venture. There was also one with Magnum Research. None of these pistols did not do what the original P99 already did well enough.

And the price of magazines: Walther magazines are expensive. Everyone here probably agrees 7 or 8 magazines per pistol are a necessity. When magazines are $50 to $60 a pop, and often not available, the Glock looks better everyday with ubiquitous magazines costing almost half as much.

I like the new PDP, it shows promise, but when it has better support for holsters and more affordable magazines, then I will take another look at buying one.
    All of that still works with good marketing.

HK still makes the paddle release USP.
    HK magazines are expensive
    Sig magazines are expensive

Aftermarket support comes after marketing. See Springfield XD

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Walther isn't used by cops all over the country. Walther isn't used by real american heros in the military. Walther isn't used by a fictional Hollywood badass assassin. This trifecta greatly influences the general publics purchasing decisions.
    You can say exactly the same thing for the Springfield XD

If the P99 was a little more prevent I would be a Walther shooter and not a Glock shooter.

99% of my guns are used and 99% of those are used police. I carried a used police gun until I bought a used police glock. Been carrying and shooting a used police glock for the last 15 years. I liked the way the P99 felt. If Walther had a bigger presence I would have bought a used 9 99

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    Walther couldn't market free sex with supermodels at a Star Trek convention.
    I'm trying to visualize that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm trying to visualize that.
    I think the better analogy is “could not get sex if the warden in a women’s prison with a hand full of pardons.”

Face it, Walther shooters are generally an odd bunch, and probably 75 percent of them wear their pants above their waist.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the better analogy is “could not get sex if the warden in a women’s prison with a hand full of pardons.”

Face it, Walther shooters are generally an odd bunch, and probably 75 percent of them wear their pants above their waist.
    Higher waistband = faster draw. No tactical sacrifices to fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Got me...I'll self-identify and admit I own a Q4SF for absolutely no practical reason, but I love it. Almost like those 1911 guys...

Because Walther should just build a P5C already. Steel, aluminum, and poly frames.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    I'm not sure where the $50-60 magazines comment is coming from. I've easily and consistently found PPS and PPQ mags in the $30s range over the past decade. And they feed reliably.

There are better things to rag on Walther about.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

I think they have been far too quick to spit out new models. They seem to change everything at the drop of a hat. Honestly, the P99AS and QA were probably what they needed to focus on. They should have kept refining them and pushing them on various police and military contracts. They remind me of desperate car company.

That being said, I love Walthers!

User Tag List