Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why doesn't Walther get more love?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    NOBODY can compete with Glock on price alone, particularly in bulk orders.
    Name:  48kp72d2y.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  47.9 KB

Still agree with your points though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'd buy a ticket to watch Natalie Portman boil water, so I'd be all for it.

I carried a five inch PPQ for a while and really enjoyed it, except for the grip. The supposedly ergonomic grip just didn't work for me. It always felt as if it was going to squirt out of my hand at any minute, no matter what I tried. Shot well though.
    I stippled my P99s and the PPS, and if our PPQ was mine I’d take a wood burner to it too. I understand why that’s not an option for everyone, and I agree the factory texture should be better on something marketed as being ready for serious use. It doesn’t have to be as good as an M&P, but there’s no reason it should be worse than a Glock.

But that’s another valid point against. For me at least, PPS, PPQ, and P99 line pistols aren’t ready to go until the grip is fixed. In retrospect, if I’m going to put that kind of work in, I may as well do it to a Glock.

For me, it’s the recoil pulse in Walter 9mms that feels like Glock 40s.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I stippled my P99s and the PPS, and if our PPQ was mine I’d take a wood burner to it too. I understand why that’s not an option for everyone, and I agree the factory texture should be better on something marketed as being ready for serious use. It doesn’t have to be as good as an M&P, but there’s no reason it should be worse than a Glock.

But that’s another valid point against. For me at least, PPS, PPQ, and P99 line pistols aren’t ready to go until the grip is fixed. In retrospect, if I’m going to put that kind of work in, I may as well do it to a Glock.
    My issue was the grips shape, not the texture. Unfortunately, not much to be done about that.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Was the P99Q what replaced their ill fated adoption of the SIG P250 ?

As I recall they had Walther P5 or P5C’s prior to the P250 disaster.

The Sig P250 never made it to the fieldingstage, thankfully…. In the the final T&E there were just too much issues with reliability/durability..

After a renewed tender the Walther P99Q was selected to replace the aging P5’s, which started around 2014.. In both cases the Dutch based their technical specifications largely on the German TR mentioned by P30…

Regards

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    Walther couldn't market free sex with supermodels at a Star Trek convention.
    I'd stand in line at that booth!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    The original 15 rounder P99 mags
    Well, actually ( ) the original P99 magazines were 16 rounders. If I recall correctly (and it's quite possible that I don't), the chance to 15 round magazines came with the release of the gen 2 P99.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Walther's "family" has always been quite limited; you could get a P99 and P99C, but not a full-size P99.
    Don't you mean you couldn't get a subcompact P99? Since the P99 is a full size pistol - the way it's shaped makes it seem smaller, but it's almost exactly the same size as a Glock 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    My issue was the grips shape, not the texture. Unfortunately, not much to be done about that.
    Both me and my girlfriend use Hogue grip sleeves meant for Glocks to bulk up the grip. The rear corner of the sleeve needs to be snipped off in order for the sleeve to fit the shape of the P99 grip but that takes about two seconds with a pair of scissors, and since neither of us are fans of finger grooves I sand those down as much as possible, which unfortunately takes a lot longer.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I agree and disagree with this. Walther’s line is a mixed bag.

Love the PPQ line. I now have 7 of them. 3-4” model, a 5”, and 3 Q5 match. Half of of them are set up loaded as my bump in the night guns.

The PDP is a nice evolution but not enough for me to transition into.

The steel frame are cool as hell but only the 5” model. That might be an acquisition in the future. The 4” model is too heavy for its intended use.

The PPS and PPS M2…are really nice on paper. I bought both wanting to love them. But after 4 mags each, they were destined to be sold. Form factor be damned, just didn’t like shooting them. Just felt like a 2x4 in my hands.

I suspect Walther will have a P365 model this upcoming year along with H&K and CZ.

The CPP…great concept…but not the H&K P7 we were expecting.

The PPK will remain a classic.

The Uramex guns, I don’t consider them Walther.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Don't you mean you couldn't get a subcompact P99? Since the P99 is a full size pistol - the way it's shaped makes it seem smaller, but it's almost exactly the same size as a Glock 17.
    In its definitive form as sold on the US market, it's a 4" barreled gun with a 15 round magazine. Thus, I've always considered it to be a compact gun, as that's squarely within the industry standard for a compact sized gun of its era/type. The P99c, being a 3.5" barreled, double stack 10 round magazine, two-finger grip gun (sans pinky extension), squarely fits into the sub-compact category.

A fullsize P99 would be a 4.5 or 5" barreled gun with a 17 or 18 round magazine, just like how the current PDP lineup refers to their fullsize frame as being the 18 round option, while the compact is the 15 round option. Granted, variety is the spice of life these days with pistols, so you can get their fullsize in as short as a 4" barrel sort of splitting the difference ala Glock 19X.

The P99 is a compact sized gun. I'm not really interested in an argument of semantics, though, and if you disagree then let's just agree to disagree right now.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-05-2021 at 01:22 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I'm on the Walther train because only they made what I was looking for at the time - a G26-sized DA/SA pistol. Accessory support is pretty slim and took some time to assemble. My OWB is a Kramer Belt Scabbard - oh darn, what a sacrifice. I've got two P99Cs, and they've been excellent. When working up 9x19 handloads, I pull the barrel off one of them for the plunk test due to the tight dimensions. Both pistols are on their third set of sights - factory, then Dawson, then Dawson .145 rear matched with a Night Fision front sight. Now that I've got them the way I want them, they're not going anywhere.

User Tag List