Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor noob. Please suggest.

If the rifle is to be dedicated suppressed, I wouldn't worry about the OSS, and would just get whatever can you want that fits your attachment, weight, length, and durability criteria. After picking out the can you want, grab one of the Black River Tactical gas restricting gas tubes: https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Ad...Drive-c6464009

This will be more foolproof than messing with an adjustable gas block, cheaper, and easier to install, while also turning down the gas drive to allow the gun to function better.

For something bombproof and can take mag dumps if needed, the easy button is the SureFire SOCOM556-RC2. Otherwise, if you're comfortable relying on warranty for anything that might happen, the Rugged Radiant762 with a .223 endcap would be my recommendation. That being said, I'm just a random dude on the forums that's done a lot of reading, so don't expect me to back up my recommendations with hard data. FWIW, I own a SureFire SOCOM556-RC, two SOCOM556-RC2, a SOCOM762-RC, a Rugged Obsidian45, and a Rugged Oculus.

Suppressor noob. Please suggest.

Gas system won’t necessarily matter as much as gas port for the system but that rail and barrel combo will absolutely be problematic. I’ve shot my MK18 and KAC CQB with my KAC QDC and never noticed any gas blowback. Both do have VLTOR A5s and the MK18 does have a complete LMT EBCG though.

I don’t have a lot of hands on but I’ve researched 5.56 cans for years. If I couldn’t buy the KAC QDC that’s still in jail, it absolutely would’ve been a Surefire Socom RC2 which may come in under your budget without accounting for the stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than .mil contracts, can you kindly explain what surefire or KAC suppressors offer (compared to competition) to justify their cost?

I'd give the OSS Helix QD a look, not to be confused with their old Helix (non QD) mentioned in the video. I have a 762ti that I've shot several hundred rounds of 5.56 through in a Sentinel Concepts class. Based on my VERY modest experience, I agree with Aaron's assessment above. I got little to no blowback. No first round pop. Shooting off the left shoulder suppressed is no different than unsuppressed. Nothing to report, it just works.

I also have their .22 Rad (22 rimfire) cans that I've been happy with.

The (K) version of the can reviewed above is currently on closeout here. I don't know if it's the best deal out there, but it seems like a pretty good deal given it includes the flash hider. As far as I know, the only change on Gen II is the additional "flash hider" end cap.

They also have a titanium model that's a few ounces lighter.

The muzzle device should work fine as long as all the threads extend past the rail.
    Last edited by David S.; 09-03-2021 at 10:02 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    Other than .mil contracts, can you kindly explain what surefire or KAC suppressors offer (compared to competition) to justify their cost?
    Repeatable mounting system for minimal and consistent POI shift, minimal to no noticeable gas blowback, durability were my big ones.

Oh and flash suppression and limited first round pop.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    I have experience using M4-2000s and YHM Turbo T2s on 11.5” Colts. I have to say that if your final setup hits you with excessive gas-to-face, the high-temp silicone sealant trick on the charging handle is an excellent, inexpensive fix.
    Is that just placing the silicone sealant in the gap between the front of the charging handle and the back of the upper receiver top rail?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

For a dedicated 5.56 suppressor a lot of people, including myself, are very happy with YHM Turbos and Turbo Ks. I've been thrilled with my Turbo K. No, it's not Socom approved. But unless you have a registered lower(and an ammo budget 100x your suppressor budget) I don't think you'll run into any issues. It's all 17-4 and rated down to 10.5" 5.56. Its also cheap enough you could buy 2 or 3 if you think you'll wear it out in your lifetime. Or you could Buy a YHM .30 cal can and a 5.56 can.

The updated T2 and K2 versions have improved flash suppression.

Whatever you get, try to keep the size and weight down. A 5.56 carbine becomes a lot less carbine-y if you hang an 8" 20oz can on the end. Even with short barrels, size and length matter. My Turbo K is on a 12.5" barrel. It handles like a 16" rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    For a dedicated 5.56 suppressor a lot of people, including myself, are very happy with YHM Turbos and Turbo Ks. I've been thrilled with my Turbo K. No, it's not Socom approved. But unless you have a registered lower(and an ammo budget 100x your suppressor budget) I don't think you'll run into any issues. It's all 17-4 and rated down to 10.5" 5.56. Its also cheap enough you could buy 2 or 3 if you think you'll wear it out in your lifetime. Or you could Buy a YHM .30 cal can and a 5.56 can.

The updated T2 and K2 versions have improved flash suppression.

Whatever you get, try to keep the size and weight down. A 5.56 carbine becomes a lot less carbine-y if you hang an 8" 20oz can on the end. Even with short barrels, size and length matter. My Turbo K is on a 12.5" barrel. It handles like a 16" rifle.
    Buying 2-3 just because you might wear one out means you’re paying the gov $4-600 just in taxes. With all of the fees and hoops you have to jump through for cans, I never understood why people cheap out on them.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Hello, I'm looking to get my first suppressor and would appreciate suggestions. Purpose is for house gun (12.5 inch upper with 12 inch rail--is the rail a problem?)

My priorities are below. Budget is about $1,000. Thank you!

1. Compact. I'm willing to give up some performance to keep a small overall package.

2. That said, I still want decent sound and flash suppression.

3. Minimize gas to the face.
    Keep in mind I am responding without reading ANY other replies. Such my opinion may (or may not) be redundant.

I have about 7 or 8 suppressors right now...all of which are traditional baffled designs. That said if I were to do it all over again (with current choices) I would take a lot longer look at the OSS cans when looking at a specific 5.56 setup.

It's not like I don't like other cans or I don't like mine now, but for shooting indoors or in low wind conditions you will stand a big chance of getting gassed out. Also with 5.56 you will need ear pro no matter what so chasing decibels in that caliber is not the most important thing.

Gas in the face in my opinion is a function of your ammo choices just as much (if not more) than other things like gas blocks or charging handles, or even port size. Yes, more important than gas port size. Since I reload everything I've experimented quite a bit and really gassy powders will choke out almost anyone regardless of other factors and conversely less gassy powders won't.

Most of the gas coming back to the shooter is not coming through the gas port or gas tube. It's coming straight back down the bore of the rifle. With a traditional can, and especially one that is more constricted, those will stack up gas which releases when the bolt reciprocates and creates a cloud around the shooter. This also leads me to think that the Surefire suppressed bolt carrier group might also be worth a look as it delays unlocking for a bit. That paired with the OSS and I think you will have a winner for a specific indoor setup to mitigate gas in the face.

The only other can that I know of is the Griffin Explorr that is intentionally built for semi auto guns. It has a balanced approach to gas flow. I am sure others do that too, but I just don't know which ones are like that. The Explorr gives up some DB at the muzzle but it also allows more gas to flow through thus lowering some port pop and (potentially) some gas in the face. Still though in the right conditions you will still get some gas, but a bit less than a more constrictive can built for a bolt gun. The other benefit is that can is super light weight relatively speaking.

You won't eliminate gas in the face entirely, all you can really do is mitigate it as best as you can. Some suppressors are designed from the start with that idea in mind.

User Tag List