Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor noob. Please suggest.

Suppressor noob. Please suggest.

Hello, I'm looking to get my first suppressor and would appreciate suggestions. Purpose is for house gun (12.5 inch upper with 12 inch rail--is the rail a problem?)

My priorities are below. Budget is about $1,000. Thank you!

1. Compact. I'm willing to give up some performance to keep a small overall package.

2. That said, I still want decent sound and flash suppression.

3. Minimize gas to the face.

What Caliber? I bought a Silencerco 36M, it can be run in a long or short configuration and is OK for 5.56 and works great for my 300 BO.

Silencer Shop is running a "Free Tax Stamp" sale for OSS cans right now which are supposed to be good for cutting down gas to face.

Sorry, caliber is 5.56. Thanks for the suggestion, that looks like it might be just what I want.

I've been repeatedly disappointed by most of my suppressors--except those made by Surefire and Thunderbeast. The TBAC Dominus-K looks like a great do-it-all compact can.
    https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/thu...-dominus-k-sr/
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I have experience using M4-2000s and YHM Turbo T2s on 11.5” Colts. I have to say that if your final setup hits you with excessive gas-to-face, the high-temp silicone sealant trick on the charging handle is an excellent, inexpensive fix.

Is this going to be a dedicated suppressed rifle? If so, there are many possible ways to counter the issue of gas-to-face, particularly in ways that would make your gun run better with a suppressor to begin with.

In terms of broad suggestions on suppressors, I would suggest looking at SureFire, KAC, and Rugged. Dead Air also seems like a popular choice, but I have heard they have been having some QC issues in recent times.

My 2c

For a 5.56 AR, no suppressor will be super quiet but I never shoot unsuppressed anymore. It’s still well worth the effort and cost. I think first question is whether you want QD or direct thread. I happen to like both. If my rifle is going to stay suppressed my preference is a DT setup as it’s lighter and shorter. My gemtech trek and griffin GP5 are both excellent. The GP5 is my recommendation for DT. It’s lightweight and has flats on rear and front of suppressor. Very clever.

For QD it comes down to what you want. I happen to like the dead air keymo system. If you’re on a budget I would seriously consider a yankee hill turbo k2. If you do not want to deal with any gas tuning, the flow through design a la OSS is a winner. Silencershop is running free tax stamp on the OSS 30 cal can right now, although it’s a tad heavy especially with their muzzle device.

it’s taken me some time to figure out how to tune a DI rifle for suppressed use. The vltor A5 has proven a worthwhile upgrade to help control the overgassing. Nowadays I mostly run an 18” rifle length gas system as it allows for longer lock time and incredibly smooth operation while suppressed.

Thanks for all the responses, this helps a lot.

This would be a dedicated suppressed rifle. Should I be concerned with the current length of rail or heat affecting the light or front sight? Light is an Olight Valkyrie, which can be swapped out.

Name:  34DD1D0B-5D1C-4328-8002-AE6195F4BD4B.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  36.5 KB

Suppressor noob. Please suggest.

Yesterday I ran my state’s 50-round qual course with a Colt 11.5” upper with shaved gas black and 10” BCM MCMR rail (on the narrow side at 1.3” ID). The last 25 rounds are fired from 15 yards and in, within a few minutes. While the YHM Turbo T2 became too hot to touch, the rail and attached Streamlight were fine to hold with bare hands, even directly over the gas block.

ETA-
    Should have mentioned my YHM attachment is beyond the end of the rail. It looks like yours would be under the rail, I’m not sure how hot that would get for you. Someone else more knowledgeable will likely chime in soon.

Rail longer than muzzle device presents possible issues. Rail might interfere w suppressor. If choosing DT you’d need forward wrench flats a la griffin GP5. If QD system the rugged won’t work as it uses both front and rear taper-lock system. Keymo and YHM should be ok. OSS as well. Their newer muzzle devices have a socket for tightening similar to the Q cherry bomb.

Heat transfer to your handguard shouldn’t be a problem. If the suppresssor contacts and rail directly your problem will be much bigger than just heat.

That looks like a 12.5 carbine gas? It’s probably going to be gassy as all hell. I’d consider setting up something with mid length gas. You can get a 13.7 or 13.9 mid length barrel (BA, SOLGW, triarc), pin-weld a QD device and avoid SBR paperwork. It would be barely longer than that 12.5 and run smoother. Well this is just my suggestion. Not hard fact. Such is part of suppressed rifle setups there’s huge variability in what we each like.
    Last edited by Squib308; 09-03-2021 at 08:48 PM.

User Tag List