Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor noob. Please suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Keep in mind I am responding without reading ANY other replies. Such my opinion may (or may not) be redundant.

I have about 7 or 8 suppressors right now...all of which are traditional baffled designs. That said if I were to do it all over again (with current choices) I would take a lot longer look at the OSS cans when looking at a specific 5.56 setup.

It's not like I don't like other cans or I don't like mine now, but for shooting indoors or in low wind conditions you will stand a big chance of getting gassed out. Also with 5.56 you will need ear pro no matter what so chasing decibels in that caliber is not the most important thing.

Gas in the face in my opinion is a function of your ammo choices just as much (if not more) than other things like gas blocks or charging handles, or even port size. Yes, more important than gas port size. Since I reload everything I've experimented quite a bit and really gassy powders will choke out almost anyone regardless of other factors and conversely less gassy powders won't.

Most of the gas coming back to the shooter is not coming through the gas port or gas tube. It's coming straight back down the bore of the rifle. With a traditional can, and especially one that is more constricted, those will stack up gas which releases when the bolt reciprocates and creates a cloud around the shooter. This also leads me to think that the Surefire suppressed bolt carrier group might also be worth a look as it delays unlocking for a bit. That paired with the OSS and I think you will have a winner for a specific indoor setup to mitigate gas in the face.

The only other can that I know of is the Griffin Explorr that is intentionally built for semi auto guns. It has a balanced approach to gas flow. I am sure others do that too, but I just don't know which ones are like that. The Explorr gives up some DB at the muzzle but it also allows more gas to flow through thus lowering some port pop and (potentially) some gas in the face. Still though in the right conditions you will still get some gas, but a bit less than a more constrictive can built for a bolt gun. The other benefit is that can is super light weight relatively speaking.

You won't eliminate gas in the face entirely, all you can really do is mitigate it as best as you can. Some suppressors are designed from the start with that idea in mind.
    I've only ever shot my can in an indoor range and with 55gr AE .223 ammo. Never noticed any gas to the face with the combos I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I've only ever shot my can in an indoor range and with 55gr AE .223 ammo. Never noticed any gas to the face with the combos I mentioned above.
    It will definitely depend on things like barrel length and more importantly--the rate of fire. Doing a shot here or there or even a slower cadence of fire will help with the gas face thing a lot. Rarely is anyone gassed out from slower rates of fire. Yet if you do a mag dump it will be a different story in a lot of cases. Barrel length matters as well.

It's like a 'soup'. One ingredient doesn't make a soup. Usually there are a couple of things working together to create gassy face. Basically I can induce (or avoid) gassy face just by knowing how it works.

Personally I shoot at home. The last time I went to anywhere 'public' to shoot (several years ago)...that particular range had a crazy air filtration system. It was basically sucking all the air up and rotating it around creating 'indoor wind'.

Buying 2-3 just because you might wear one out means you’re paying the gov $4-600 just in taxes. With all of the fees and hoops you have to jump through for cans, I never understood why people cheap out on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the suggestion to buy 2-3 wasn't serious, just a way of comparing cost.

I get the notion that it's a buy once cry once proposition, but the suppressor market isn't what it was 15 years ago. We're not comparing mil spec cans to bubba brand maglites with aluminum monocores. The competition in the industry has benefited the consumer with tons of great choices that cost 30-50% of the premium mil spec options.

I'm not suggesting anyone buy a disposable can. I'm just providing a sane counter argument that there are great options out there besides KAC and Surefire if you're not doing mag dumps from Mk18s.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Yeah, the suggestion to buy 2-3 wasn't serious, just a way of comparing cost.

I get the notion that it's a buy once cry once proposition, but the suppressor market isn't what it was 15 years ago. We're not comparing mil spec cans to bubba brand maglites with aluminum monocores. The competition in the industry has benefited the consumer with tons of great choices that cost 30-50% of the premium mil spec options.

I'm not suggesting anyone buy a disposable can. I'm just providing a sane counter argument that there are great options out there besides KAC and Surefire if you're not doing mag dumps from Mk18s.
    I’m sure there are, people seem pleased with a number of manufacturers. I just posted what aspects are important to me and from my research, the two that are best at those.

Go to pewscience.com and pick the can that best fits what you are looking for. Pewscience is the only place scientifically measuring back pressure statistics as well as db ratings on cans, and the results will surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Is that just placing the silicone sealant in the gap between the front of the charging handle and the back of the upper receiver top rail?
    Yes. I apply masking tape to the receiver, hit the charging handle with some degreaser and let it sit overnight.

We tried the PRI Gas Busters but that was a hard no for our lefties, and was still unpleasant with the normal-handed folks, even wearing eye pro.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Yes. I apply masking tape to the receiver, hit the charging handle with some degreaser and let it sit overnight.

We tried the PRI Gas Busters but that was a hard no for our lefties, and was still unpleasant with the normal-handed folks, even wearing eye pro.
    Thanks. I might give it a try.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I’m sure there are, people seem pleased with a number of manufacturers. I just posted what aspects are important to me and from my research, the two that are best at those.

IME the can design itself makes a difference. Quieter cans usually have more GTF. KAC NT-4 and Surefire SOCOM cans are criticized for not being "the quietest" but IME they have less GTF than "quieter" designs.

Suppressor noob. Please suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Thanks. I might give it a try.
    Rereading my post I realize I shouldn’t do so near the end of a double shift. The silicone sits overnight, not the degreaser.

As seen here http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...harging-handle

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8115...0823920&sr=8-2
    Last edited by S Jenks; 09-05-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Rereading my post I realize I shouldn’t do so near the end of a double shift. The silicone sits overnight, not the degreaser.

As seen here http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...harging-handle

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8115...0823920&sr=8-2
    Thanks. The instructions in that link are pretty clear.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List