Thread: A short afternoon with three 9mm revolvers

A short afternoon with three 9mm revolvers

Name:  IMG_1012.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  62.3 KB

I bought Totem Polar's Speed Six. He's not getting it back either...

The Ruger was very pleasant to shoot, empties extracted easily, and shot to point of aim with 124 grain loads for me. Winchester RA9T and Speer G2 147gr loads were a bit softer than the 124s and this may influence me to put a taller front sight on the Speed Six to achieve a closer point of impact with those and, more importantly, fiber optic visibility goodness. Although Traffic Cone Orange nail polish actually worked pretty well.
    The revolver worked without moon clips (leaving really good indentations) but did experience one misfire with 147 TMJ practice ammo. I will watch this for repeats. The Korth speed loader worked just fine with the Ruger.
    Occasionally, I will still see people slandering the DA pull of the Security Six series guns. This thing has the original springs in it and is plenty nice and quite smooth in action.

The Korth is still very good: smooth, equipped with blocky sights regulated for 124s, and possessing no need at all for clips. The proportions of this snubby kinda irks me though. The light weight is nice but the size of the grips seems out of whack for something this short barreled. Again choose light bullet ammunition wisely, this revolver pulls Blazer brass 124s out to the point of near total extraction of the bullet in just 5 rounds. The cylinder locking up on the 6th round is no bueno. I still need to find out if my other 124s do this.

I'm warming to the 940 S&W a bit but still think a Kimber K6 (135 short barrel .357) is superior for anyone not committed to a 9mm only load out.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    I bought Totem Polar's Speed Six. He's not getting it back either..........this revolver pulls Blazer brass 124s out to the point of near total extraction of the bullet in just 5 rounds
    The man has made some serious errors in judgement in the past and I too was a beneficiary....same policy here.

Just curious, how short is the grip on the Korth if you wanted to go to some sort of minimalist grips?

I have long suspected that a short cylinder like that would be a problem for the reason you cite. My impression is that most factory 9mm ammo has minimal crimping and tension compared to factory .38 or .357 ammo. I have no science to back that up.

Name:  B8CFE9AD-F4C6-4A0E-9723-12CB44DE858D.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  74.9 KB

The wood grips tend to snag less on things.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  B8CFE9AD-F4C6-4A0E-9723-12CB44DE858D.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  74.9 KB

The wood grips tend to snag less on things.
    That looks a WHOLE lot better!

The Boberg automatic yanks the round backwards out of the magazine and is subject to inertia pull of bullets.
    The present owners of the model, Bond Derringers, has lists of approved ammunition. I think this is the most current.
    https://www.bondarms.com/bond-arms-h...p/#detailsPane

It might be applicable to 9mm revolvers.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

There is a video on the Bond Arms site that starts off with a warning about the Blazer ammo I used. I had to laugh. The list will be very useful, maybe I'll get out and confirm the results today on the Korth.

I wear an XL glove and I do like the aftermarket Hogues I installed but JCN has the right idea here methinks.
    My apologies to weasels.

User Tag List