Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Competing with Arthritis - What Works for You?

Competing with Arthritis - What Works for You?

Just got diagnosed with moderate arthritis in my knees and hips, which explains the whole "all movement hurts" issues I've had running around on gravel for the past season.

I'm fairly young (early thirties), so it was a little surprising. Those of you that have arthritis, what has worked for you? Any particular supplements, inversion/decompression treatments?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Also—gear. Are there any USPSA-legal dual belt systems that anyone recommends for weight-distribution/comfort? I have a Ghost setup now that’s basically as stiff as a hulahoop, so I end up with all the weight of my rig perched on the tops of my hips.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

My rheumatologist recommended Voltaren Cream. It is now OTC. Seems to help when the pain isn't too bad.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    My rheumatologist recommended Voltaren Cream. It is now OTC. Seems to help when the pain isn't too bad.
    Godsend, But follow the dosing directions.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Not my field of expertise but what I remember to be the most effective interventions are weight loss and leg strength training.
    I don't know if gear is that important. That stuff is heavy but comparing to body weight those joints are supporting it is not a big %. If I wanted to get extra support, I'd probably use some sort of suspenders.
    I had a very modest response to Voltaren cream, my dad even less.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I have horrible arthritis in my right knee - There are good days and bad days.

Stretching, weight loss, rest/recovery, massage, and strength training have all helped immensely with various aspects of it.

Be careful and listen to what your body is telling you... Good luck.

I've found Blue Emu to help a lot when my arthritis acts up. Its so bad that I also have to put ice on my knee or a heating pad. Swapping them out for 15 minutes a piece helps.

Good Luck.

It also gets so bad that the VA put me on Oxicodone so I can stand the pain. It doesn't lower the pain but makes me not feel anything for a few hours. Takes about 30 minutes to kick in so during that initial time before I take it I can't do anything but sit in a special chair with the ice or heat pad.

Site Supporter
    I'm 74, I've got it. My doc (a shooter also) - take Aleve or Ibuprofen before the event. Me - use suspenders, Perry's work.

Other advice, shoot at a speed that you are comfortable with. You don't care if you WIN. You care if you do a decent job. I'll ditch a position and take a penalty rather than risk. I don't need to fall over or spastically throw a shot due something failing in my knees. If I get down and have to get up with a gun, makes me a little uneasy. It's just a game.

Good luck, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Godsend, But follow the dosing directions.
    Plus one on the Voltaren!
    Shumba

For me, the biggest issue with arthritis is the relative humidity. When it is low, pain is nonexistent. When it gets much above 55%, it is noticeable. My father solved his issue by relocating himself and my mother to Vegas. Not my cup of tea, but the low humidity does indeed do the trick. Within an hour or two of stepping off the plane, any arthritic pain is a distant memory. Conversely, everything starts to hurt within a an hour of two of arriving home.

Warm weather also helps, even if humid, as long as the barometric pressure is high. Cold and high humidity makes for a bad day. Cold, damp, and low pressure makes for a horrible day.

I also had surgery on both feet for Hallux Rigidus (stiff big toe) that dramatically improved my pain. Before the surgery, I was using Voltaren gel with mixed success.

As far as diet, less sodium seems to lead to less inflammation. Avoid prepared foods, no matter if from the deli counter, a package, a box, or a can. Fresh everything if possible. Frozen veggies instead of canned veggies. Canned veggies have a lot of sodium.

User Tag List