Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Competing with Arthritis - What Works for You?

Might help a bit to get the weight off the hips-I’ll second the comment about Perry suspenders.
    I’m at the point in my life where I take some “Vitamin I” before I stand on a range for a while…
    Sucks, but you are still vertical, can move-keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Just got diagnosed with moderate arthritis in my knees and hips, which explains the whole "all movement hurts" issues I've had running around on gravel for the past season.

I'm fairly young (early thirties), so it was a little surprising. Those of you that have arthritis, what has worked for you? Any particular supplements, inversion/decompression treatments?
    Lose as much weight as possible. No bullshit. I'm sure your doctor might have told you this. I don't know your body, but most of us are carrying around more weight than we should, whether from muscle or fat. You must become as thin as you can while still remaining healthy and nutritioned, that's the correct route. There's a lot of stick figured shooters in USPSA/IPSC who dominate, so the whole "my muscle helps me shooter better" should not be an excuse. I used to be thin, like 6 pack thin when I was in the military, then I put on 40lbs of muscle for looks, then I put on another 30 lbs of fat when I did power lifting competitions. That gave me back and knee problems. So I'm on a road to losing A LOT of weight if I want to keep doing this sport when I get older. I like having a heavy strong frame but the knees and back do not lie. Time to get stick figured again.

Just got diagnosed with moderate arthritis in my knees and hips
    There are some very good stretching exercises for the knees and the hips.

Hips

One of the very best stretching exercises for the hips is the one explained in the following video from 0:50 - 2:30. The video is in German but the English subtitles are quite good:

More exercises, also very helpful.

Knees

I already posted two simple but very effective stretches. And one more stretch, which also helps me a lot.

Reasoning and motivation

I had an accident when I trained with my paramotor, hurt my knee, could only walk with crutches for weeks or months. Stretching helped me a lot in full recovery.

I'm fairly young (early thirties)
    I'm 51 years old. Can run 2600 m (= 1.6 miles) in 12 min (Cooper test) and 5 km in 28 min. I would not be able to do so without these very exercises. And I'm on a good way to improve my personal records.

The theory, why these stretches help so much, is briefly described in my humble words in the linked post for the knees. If you are interested, I'll try to give more info. I very highly recommend stretching in order to solve your problem! For me, it worked great!
    Last edited by P30; 02-17-2022 at 04:56 PM.

I am going to talk to my GP before trying voltaren… I have a history of stroke and a not-minor heart defect, so that might not be an option.
    The active ingredient is hard on some people's kidney's, it only recently came off prescription. I used it for about 7 years before went ahead and got my knee replacement and it was quite effective for me, but my internist had me in for a blood test once per quarter to monitor things. At the end, I was taking the oral version and it was especially effective on my OA in both knees but it may not be appropriate for you.

One of my caregivers recommended doTerra Deep Blue Rub. I go it from Amazon. You rub in into where it hurts, I use it on my legs and neck and in about 1/2 hour most of the pain goes away. When it's really bad I take an Oxycondon but then I can't go shooting or even drive for a while.

User Tag List