Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Changes at Safariland

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I would be tempted to order an ALS holster, even though I don't need one, just as a gesture of support. But, it does not appear they will be making holsters for the P229. I understand why, but I am clinging to the the thing as long as I can. From the looks it gets, you would think I was carrying a revolver again. If (or more likely when) I am forced to enter the striker-fired world, I will if possible use an M&P, which U.S. Duty gear does not seem to support either. It's like the whole world is trying to force me to carry a Glock.

They do support the P226, so I guess I could do that if necessary......
    I carried a P226 on and off-duty for a quarter century supplemented by the P228, P229, and P239.I feel your pain, epecially since the FNS-9 fanboys helped force my medical retirement. I'd be tempted to go back to Classic SIG as a retirement gun, but if my current employer goes armed, it will almost certainly be to Glock or, less likely, another striker fired pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I noted in my Acro P-2 thread that I sent a recent production 6360RDS to Chris Geist of Ghostmen Design to be refitted for VP9.

I can't rave enough about whatever it is that he did to make it fit. The holster I got back from him fit the VP9 with light and optic better than it had fit the P320 it was meant for from the factory. Buttery smooth, protected trigger guard, perfect engagement of the ALS mechanism. You cannot tell that it was ever modified by outward appearance.

If you are stuck by department policy using a Safariland holsters having him go through it may be an option.
    @AMC The 7000-series stuff doesn't impress me at all. I have a 7360RDS for a G19 with TLR7. It seems cheap and flimsy. My guess is that is the direction they are moving towards in general though.

Unfortunately, he only does holsters for pistols with WMLs.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    I still have some of the real Safariland gear from 1980s and although it has some battle scars it works as good as when it was new.

The "stuff" they sell now is junk and has been for several years!!

I hope US Duty Gear puts them out of business!

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    @TheNewbie.....we just received some "improved" 7360 Weaponlight holsters last week. Two of the guys are trying them out. So far, the fit is somewhat improved, and the holster body is slightly reinforced in key areas....so it compresses less around the trigger guard when pressure is applied. I'll keep everyone posted on our opinions.

Interestingly, it was Safariland who reached out to us. Company Reps talk to other companies' reps...and several folks knew we thought our new holsters were hot garbage, and were looking at other manufacturers. Suddenly Tommy Campbell is calling my office and shipping me holsters. So they're aware of the problems at least.

Safariland reminds me of Colt. At one point they built a great 1911, but later the first thing you did was send it to a gunsmith to make it run the way you would like. Ghost men is to Safariland what the gunsmith was to Colt.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I guess I’m dating myself, but the only Safariland gear I have any interest in is made of leather. My ‘70s vintage cuff cases are still GTG.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    ...And don't get me started on Safarilands refusal to consider making a DG switch compatible holster....
    One of the truly sad things here is that for YEARS, their holsters were made to accommodate the SL & DG switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    One of the truly sad things here is that for YEARS, their holsters were made to accommodate the SL & DG switches.
    I want to say that was prior to the ALS. I had (have?) a 6280 that will accommodate a DG switch.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I guess I’m dating myself, but the only Safariland gear I have any interest in is made of leather. My ‘70s vintage cuff cases are still GTG.
    Their Safari-Laminate with the genuine dead cow exterior was fantastic.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

This has been enlightening. I have been pleased with the 6360 and 6377/8 holsters for my Glocks, and later Sig 320/250's.
    I was less than impressed with the 1911 versions I received fairly recently.... there was no adjustable friction retention, and absent the ALS mechanism, were SERPA-ish gun buckets.
    I just checked and the 1911 ones were "assembled in Mexico". My 6360 for my Sig had the model info branded in, and has set-screw adjustable friction retention. The ALS belt holster for the Sig was "assembled in Mexico", and has a non-adjustable, rubber disc retention. This particular holster has been quite serviceable, but the 1911 ones have been problematic. I don't know how much of that is due to my personal physiology (needing a NUB to be able to work the ALS), but the friction retention is crap.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 09-04-2021 at 12:00 AM.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List