Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes at Safariland

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Wow. That it's been that long and major outlets like Brownells and Midway are still incorrect about country of origin is a problem.

It's less a problem that it's made in Mexico than it is being falsely advertised as (still) made in the US.
    That’s a reseller issue - no one noticed the change.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Wow. That it's been that long and major outlets like Brownells and Midway are still incorrect about country of origin is a problem.

It's less a problem that it's made in Mexico than it is being falsely advertised as (still) made in the US.
    I imagine that Safariland hasn't been trumpeting it a whole lot.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I sent Brownells a note:

I just wanted to contact you regarding Safariland shifting its manufacture to Mexico. Many of your Safariland items are listed as being manufactured in the USA.

Thanks,

Flamingo
    Not sure they will respond or change the listing, but...

Site Supporter
    The Safariland news is disheartening, especially if the rot has spread to the various brands such as Second Chance. Any word on the current quality of Bianchi's nylon and leather goods?

I would be tempted to order an ALS holster, even though I don't need one, just as a gesture of support. But, it does not appear they will be making holsters for the P229. I understand why, but I am clinging to the the thing as long as I can. From the looks it gets, you would think I was carrying a revolver again. If (or more likely when) I am forced to enter the striker-fired world, I will if possible use an M&P, which U.S. Duty gear does not seem to support either. It's like the whole world is trying to force me to carry a Glock.

They do support the P226, so I guess I could do that if necessary......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I noted in my Acro P-2 thread that I sent a recent production 6360RDS to Chris Geist of Ghostmen Design to be refitted for VP9.

I can't rave enough about whatever it is that he did to make it fit. The holster I got back from him fit the VP9 with light and optic better than it had fit the P320 it was meant for from the factory. Buttery smooth, protected trigger guard, perfect engagement of the ALS mechanism. You cannot tell that it was ever modified by outward appearance.

If you are stuck by department policy using a Safariland holsters having him go through it may be an option.

@AMC The 7000-series stuff doesn't impress me at all. I have a 7360RDS for a G19 with TLR7. It seems cheap and flimsy. My guess is that is the direction they are moving towards in general though.

What kind of mods can he do to a holster?

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I would be tempted to order an ALS holster, even though I don't need one, just as a gesture of support. But, it does not appear they will be making holsters for the P229. I understand why, but I am clinging to the the thing as long as I can. From the looks it gets, you would think I was carrying a revolver again. If (or more likely when) I am forced to enter the striker-fired world, I will if possible use an M&P, which U.S. Duty gear does not seem to support either. It's like the whole world is trying to force me to carry a Glock.

They do support the P226, so I guess I could do that if necessary......
    US Duty gear makes M&P holsters… I have one along with many of my partners. Mine will accept the 2.0 with a Surefire X300/DG switch or TLR1. It’s an SLS-only design, but I expect additional options soon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    US Duty gear makes M&P holsters… I have one along with many of my partners. Mine will accept the 2.0 with a Surefire X300/DG switch or TLR1. It’s an SLS-only design, but I expect additional options soon.
    Think one would work with a M&P TS version?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What kind of mods can he do to a holster?
    About 10 years or so when a bunch of us decided to buy DG switches and stick them on our X200/X300's I spent a couple weeks with a heat gun heating up the backs of holsters and then gently inserting the pistol with the switch to make it fit perfectly.

Looking at the P320 6360 that Chris turned into a VP9 6360 I'm guessing he used heat and some type of press or vacuum to remold the holster to the gun (it literally fits perfectly). I can see where he altered the muzzle plug, but did a better job than I would have done with a Dremel. I know he must have altered the ALS mechanism somehow as well.

The end result is that it fits the gun absolutely perfectly and everything functions smoothly the way a 6360 would have ten years ago...and just think this is a holster NOT made at the factory for this gun.

I purchased a 6354DO (made in Mexico) during COVID last year and can't get the thing hasn't worked right since Day 1. It is an absolute bitch to get the gun out. I may send it to Chris at some point and ask him to sort it out if he's willing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    About 10 years or so when a bunch of us decided to buy DG switches and stick them on our X200/X300's I spent a couple weeks with a heat gun heating up the backs of holsters and then gently inserting the pistol with the switch to make it fit perfectly.

Looking at the P320 6360 that Chris turned into a VP9 6360 I'm guessing he used heat and some type of press or vacuum to remold the holster to the gun (it literally fits perfectly). I can see where he altered the muzzle plug, but did a better job than I would have done with a Dremel. I know he must have altered the ALS mechanism somehow as well.

The end result is that it fits the gun absolutely perfectly and everything functions smoothly the way a 6360 would have ten years ago...and just think this is a holster NOT made at the factory for this gun.

I purchased a 6354DO (made in Mexico) during COVID last year and can't get the thing hasn't worked right since Day 1. It is an absolute bitch to get the gun out. I may send it to Chris at some point and ask him to sort it out if he's willing.

I have used two different 6360s for my P-07s, and they were both rough out of the box. Now that they are broken in I am confident in them, but it was anything but confidence at first.

The 7360 seem nice in theory, but in actual use they feel cheap to me. I've read that they have been improved but I don't know. Next time I am in Mexico I'll stop by the factory and ask them to up the quality.

I look forward to US Duty Gears Level 3.

User Tag List