Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon Super 1050 Primersplosion

Dillon Super 1050 Primersplosion

I had my first-ever primer tube chain-detonation just now, loading 9mm in my 1050. I felt a little crunch in the lever, so my guess is a sideways primer got popped, and somehow chain-fired the rest of the primers in the tube (fortunately only about 25).

It was loud, and destroyed the primer tube rod by shooting it out against the ceiling. The 40 cal bullet I used as a weight made a divot in the ceiling. (See last pic below. The long black mark is from the rod)

The primer tube and the primer station retaining tab are fuct. However, I felt no no debris from the explosion. I was listening to the PSTG podcast with earbuds, so that kept my ears safe.

Fortunately Mrs. CF was not home, and neighbors do not seem to have called the cops.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-01-2021 at 05:10 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Thank goodness there wasn't frag flying around!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Glad your ok! Federal primers?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I had my first-ever primer tube chain-detonation just now, loading 9mm in my 1050. I felt a little crunch in the lever, so my guess is a sideways primer got popped, and somehow chain-fired the rest of the primers in the tube (fortunately only about 25).

It was loud, and destroyed the primer tube rod by shooting it out against the ceiling. The 40 cal bullet I used as a weight made a divot in the ceiling. (See last pic below. The long black mark is from the rod)

The primer tube and the primer station retaining tab are fuct. However, I felt no no debris from the explosion. I was listening to the PSTG podcast with earbuds, so that kept my ears safe.

Fortunately Mrs. CF was not home, and neighbors do not seem to have called the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    Glad your ok! Federal primers?
    Thanks. They were CCI.

Happened to me too. Guessing it's why they switched the system to the 550 type priming system on the new one.

Mine was my fault, felt something sticking and should've stopped to figure it out, pushed a little harder...bang.

Interesting. I've always wondered about the possibility of that happening with my 650. Glad you didn't suffer any injuries, and the property damage is relatively minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    somehow chain-fired the rest of the primers in the tube (fortunately only about 25).
    Look at this guy humble-bragging about all the primers he can afford.

I dont worry as much about that happening on my 550... but I still wear glasses when loading... glad you are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I wear glasses when loading... glad you are okay.
    Thanks. Yes, I always wear eye pro, and have extra pairs on the shelf for spectators.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Look at this guy humble-bragging about all the primers he can afford.
    LOL! I'm so glad it was only 25 primers, and that they were CCI and not Federal.

User Tag List