Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Staccato C2 as "do it all" pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Guys, I carried a John Jardine custom Colt Government Model for years on duty. That gun on the open market would fetch a whole lot more than any STI/Staccato. The only reason I stopped was weight (primarily of the extra ammo), lack of a rail to mount a light to it and capacity when I was a K9 handler.

A gun is something I consider life-saving equipment. The LE price for a P or C2 is right at $2k. More than a Glock? Sure, but if I use the thing everyday for the next decade I'm not that concerned about it.
    Get one and have Jardine do a duty tune on it. He did it on my 2019 Staccato P. There's a group buy going on now. Folks who haven't shot a Jardine gun just don't know. Go work one of those fire deployments on OT and the gun, the mags, the holster and custom work are covered. The shorter mags are very reliable and now there are aluminum baseplates available.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Get one and have Jardine do a duty tune on it. He did it on my 2019 Staccato P. There's a group buy going on now. Folks who haven't shot a Jardine gun just don't know. Go work one of those fire deployments on OT and the gun, the mags, the holster and custom work are covered. The shorter mags are very reliable and now there are aluminum baseplates available.
    If money is not an object, this is not a bad a idea. And I agree about John. He might look like an even crankier Wilfred Brimley, but he's DaVinci on a 1911 pattern gun.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    If money is not an object, this is not a bad a idea. And I agree about John. He might look like an even crankier Wilfred Brimley, but he's DaVinci on a 1911 pattern gun.
    I've seen John do things with 1911's and Glocks I didn't think were even possible (Fowler Ind resells his Glock stuff).

I'm going to buy a Staccato and have John work his magic. It's just a matter of which one to buy (P or C2)

I've seen John do things with 1911's and Glocks I didn't think were even possible (Fowler Ind resells his Glock stuff).

I'm going to buy a Staccato and have John work his magic. It's just a matter of which one to buy (P or C2)
    What would you have Jardine do to it?

Site Supporter
    I recently ordered a “C” model (single stack compared to the double stack C2). This solved my magazine concerns as I already have a bunch from other pistols. For me it is not a duty gun so the reduced capacity is less of an issue.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    What would you have Jardine do to it?
    Literally whatever he wants to.

I'll just take the gun to him and ask him to make sure it will work.

Once, when I needed to give him my gun he had built for me back he told me to bring another 1911 with me. I brought another high-end custom 1911 with me that I thought ran fine.

While we BS'ed for a couple hours he went through the entire gun, nearly every part filing and stoning things (I wished I had paid more attention). He handed it back to me and said, "That should hold you over for a couple a weeks until I get you your gun back." That gun will feed out-of-spec ammo and has not had a single malfunction of any kind since. I know plenty of other people who have had similar experiences. Nothing on guns worked on by him seem to ever break.

John is some type of wizard. It's hard to explain unless you've experienced it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't think the price is the main issue with Stacatto as a duty-grade gun. Why do we believe that the company formerly known as STI has finally made a 2011 as reliable as a Glock?

For example: Doesn't the gun still require tuned extractors? How do the magazines perform after the Teflon coating wears, or when dirty/sandy? Can you cause magazine-related malfunctions by an impact that subtly changes the lip geometry (which you cannot see)?

I think this is the fourth time I can remember them trying to push the 2011 into the duty/military market.

I can’t tell any difference from the other 2011s but everyone says the mags are better.

I bet I would have one all clogged up with 147 HST by day three. At the latest.

Literally whatever he wants to.

I'll just take the gun to him and ask him to make sure it will work.

Once, when I needed to give him my gun he had built for me back he told me to bring another 1911 with me. I brought another high-end custom 1911 with me that I thought ran fine.

While we BS'ed for a couple hours he went through the entire gun, nearly every part filing and stoning things (I wished I had paid more attention). He handed it back to me and said, "That should hold you over for a couple a weeks until I get you your gun back." That gun will feed out-of-spec ammo and has not had a single malfunction of any kind since. I know plenty of other people who have had similar experiences. Nothing on guns worked on by him seem to ever break.

John is some type of wizard. It's hard to explain unless you've experienced it first hand.
    I know a few Jardine owners and they say the same thing. I’ve never had one myself. Maybe one day…

Do you think you could have brought a pre-staccato STI and he could make it run?

Site Supporter
    Edge of my lane. Rambles follow.

I suspect GJM could weigh in re a Jardine Gun. I have heard the same thing re Jardine and his ability to make a good gun great and a great one superlative from a number of serious 1911 guys over the years.

I get a 1911 style triggered gun being easier to shoot well. Undoubtedly true for the vast majority of shooters

I know me. I would be an extraordinarily unhappy camper if I had north of 2K in a system that was not Glock 19/17/45 reliable. It really becomes a 5k proposition by the time you buy a second gun, associated mags, holsters, pouches, etc. Given the 2011 platform's historic penchant for requiring "tuned" magazines at 50-100 a pop, I remain skeptical re the Staccato offerings long term.

Fore better or worse, I am "stuck" in a Glock or traditional 1911 world unless something comes along that really moves the bead forward and has Glock 9mm like reliability from the box.

The Wilson EDC series may be that gun at 3kish. I am hopeful the the Dan Wesson DWX is such a beast at 1500ish.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I had the chance to see a bunch of Staccatos in action this weekend at a class and to shoot a couple. I'm in an admin assignment at work right now so I wear a polo and 5.11 pants 80% of the time and only wear a uniform about 20% although that could change and I could go back to patrol tomorrow (at some point I'll be back in a uniformed patrol assignment again...and then probably another investigations assignment...I still have awhile left).

I had been thinking a "P" but after shooting a C2 I'm leaning that direction.

Pro's and Con's:

(+) It's a little smaller (easier to conceal).
    (+) It seems quite a bit lighter.
    (+) Safariland does not make a holster for it, but US Duty Gear does (screw new Safariland anyway).
    (+) Comfortable full three finger grip and accepts any size 2011 mag
    (--) More recoil and shoots less flat
    (--) C2 for some reason only comes with 3 mags and the P comes with 6 for LE (I called them today and verified...boo!)
    (--) Dawson Tooless guiderod is not available...just the Recoilmaster system

Am I missing anything? What says the PF hive mind?

Please don't say to buy both. I'm going to have to sell some stuff to fund it as it is.
    I bought both over the past couple of months. A negative of the C2 is that the 16-round are the only flush fit magazines. The 17 and 20-round mags will fit in it as well but wobble around a bit. The C2 shoots well but the P shoots softer/flatter(?), which makes sense given the size difference. If you are not a fan of Safariland, take a look at BlackHawk. I think they have a T-series holster for the C2.

This is a hobby for me so will defer to others on the logistics and cost-effectiveness of the magazines. I have fired about 500 rounds through the P and about 200 rounds through the C2 -- no issues so far, for what that's worth.

User Tag List