Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Staccato C2 as "do it all" pistol?

Had I managed to get out of uniformed duty, rather than retiring altogether, I’d have carried a big gun, simply because it would not have been competing for space, on the duty belt, with all the other duty gear. (At the time, I was qual’ed with two 5” Les Baer 1911 pistols, and G19 and G17 Glocks.) This is my conceptual answer.

With a personal bias against compact 1911 pistols, that I acquired through unsatisfactory experiences, and a lack of familiarity with any 2011-ish design, I am unable to answer more specifically than that. (To be clear, I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the C2.)

And, yes, indeed, I can relate to clumsy, heavy colleagues stepping on my mags and speed-loaders, at the qual range. One step-and-pivot destroyed a speed-loader.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I had the chance to see a bunch of Staccatos in action this weekend at a class and to shoot a couple. I'm in an admin assignment at work right now so I wear a polo and 5.11 pants 80% of the time and only wear a uniform about 20% although that could change and I could go back to patrol tomorrow (at some point I'll be back in a uniformed patrol assignment again...and then probably another investigations assignment...I still have awhile left).

I had been thinking a "P" but after shooting a C2 I'm leaning that direction.

Pro's and Con's:

(+) It's a little smaller (easier to conceal).
    (+) It seems quite a bit lighter.
    (+) Safariland does not make a holster for it, but US Duty Gear does (screw new Safariland anyway).
    (+) Comfortable full three finger grip and accepts any size 2011 mag
    (--) More recoil and shoots less flat
    (--) C2 for some reason only comes with 3 mags and the P comes with 6 for LE (I called them today and verified...boo!)
    (--) Dawson Tooless guiderod is not available...just the Recoilmaster system

Am I missing anything? What says the PF hive mind?

Please don't say to buy both. I'm going to have to sell some stuff to fund it as it is.
    I dont have a dog in this fight but I think it was one of the members here who had one. Im thinking The Janitor maybe? Not sure. If you can find that thread I think it has some very good info. As I recall he was enthralled at first…but he ended up getting out of the platform for multiple reasons and if Im not mistaken reliability especially concerning the magazines was a huge concern. After reading his thread theres no way Id buy one except as a range toy.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I don't think the price is the main issue with Stacatto as a duty-grade gun. Why do we believe that the company formerly known as STI has finally made a 2011 as reliable as a Glock?

For example: Doesn't the gun still require tuned extractors? How do the magazines perform after the Teflon coating wears, or when dirty/sandy? Can you cause magazine-related malfunctions by an impact that subtly changes the lip geometry (which you cannot see)?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-01-2021 at 11:37 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Seems like a strong opportunity for Magpul to make some 2011 PMAGs...
    They’re too busy making T-shirts and man bun wraps.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Seems like a strong opportunity for Magpul to make some 2011 PMAGs...
    Is it possible to make mass-produced, generic, inexpensive 2011 magazines that are reliable under heavy use, long-term? Magpul has done it with AR and AK PMags. They have sort-of achieved it with Glock PMags, but not quite.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Is it possible to make mass-produced, generic, inexpensive 2011 magazines that are reliable under heavy use, long-term? Magpul has done it with AR and AK PMags. They have sort-of achieved it with Glock PMags, but not quite.
    Not out of polymer, ain’t gots enough room in there.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I dont have a dog in this fight but I think it was one of the members here who had one. Im thinking The Janitor maybe? Not sure. If you can find that thread I think it has some very good info. As I recall he was enthralled at first…but he ended up getting out of the platform for multiple reasons and if Im not mistaken reliability especially concerning the magazines was a huge concern. After reading his thread theres no way Id buy one except as a range toy.

Not me. Probably @Duke. I almost bought one last week, just so I could know for myself what was up with Staccato. But alas, I passed.....again.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    A whole bunch of our officers have bought P' and C2s in the last 2 years. A couple of our SWAT guys are heavily pushing to replace their 2 year old 226 Legion 9mms with Staccatos. Because CDI and OAF. 4 years ago it was Glocks...then CZ P10's were the only gun to have. Now Staccato. Strangely seemed to follow the preferences of a particular prominent trainer or two. I have no interest in spending over $100,000 to replace the newest, and only 9mm, handguns in our department inventory. These guys are organizing huge group buys convincing everybody it's what they should be able to carry on duty.

I will say that they are great guns to shoot. Stupid easy to shoot well. Having spoken to several Instructors from agencies authorizing the platform, including guys on this forum, they are adamant about having certain things in place before considering it. And they're pretty realistic about the reality of running these guns, in terms of reliability. There are still issues....especially with the magazines.

If you're an experienced 1911 operator, and comfortable with the system, I get the "life insurance" aspect of the cost question. The question is, are you really buying the reliability you think you are?

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Guys, I carried a John Jardine custom Colt Government Model for years on duty. That gun on the open market would fetch a whole lot more than any STI/Staccato. The only reason I stopped was weight (primarily of the extra ammo), lack of a rail to mount a light to it and capacity when I was a K9 handler.

A gun is something I consider life-saving equipment. The LE price for a P or C2 is right at $2k. More than a Glock? Sure, but if I use the thing everyday for the next decade I'm not that concerned about it.
    Well, you mentioned selling stuff to fund it so that gives the impression cost is a factor. If you're not worried about the cost are you prepared to buy two? If this is a personal purchase and not agency supplied you should. If #1 goes down for maintenance or winds up in evidence for a while you'll need a #2, because the department won't have a spare in the arms room.

If cost isn't a factor, the only concerns I'd have would be the magazines. Irrespective of cost there's the reliability factor. Every time I see someone claim the mags are now good to go, I see someone claiming otherwise. If that's been solved, I don't see why the gun wouldn't serve well as a multi-use platform.
    I'm not down on the gun at all, I think they're pretty cool. I guess what gets under my skin is the somewhat hypocritical, flavor of the moment fanboyism that surrounds the thing, but you didn't ask about that.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The gents over at the Lightfighter Forum did a group buy that generated pages of interaction concerning the platform.

The price of having it end up in evidence would keep me carrying something Glock-ish for real world use.

User Tag List