Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just bought a JM 2.5 AIWB Wing Claw light mount thingy - did I mess up?

I just bought a JM 2.5 AIWB Wing Claw light mount thingy - did I mess up?

After my recent Damascus Road experience with the RDS at Gabe's class I have re-vamped my setup for EDC and training. EDC gun is now the same Gen 5 Glock 19 I've had for a few years and done all my shooting since May 2019 with. It now wears an RM06 in an FCD plate, Heinie MOS Ledge sights, and a Surefire XC1-B. I've always carried strongside either IWB (85% of the time) or OWB w/open front concealment (15% of the time). The main reason for this is that I'm a bigger guy with a bit of a gut. I'm active, do lots of stuff, just built like a football lineman and unwilling to eat rabbit food. Anyway, lifestyle choices aside, I see several advantages to AIWB, especially with certain wardrobe choices. Member Duke gifted me a JMCK "George" holster a couple years back and I carried the 19 with irons in it a few times. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I had no pad and would get the pelvic hotspot when sitting for long periods of time. I know there are lots of bigger dudes that AIWB and in reading it appears the "George" was designed specifically for slim dudes (I'm guessing @GJM is the namesake).

Anyway, I just ordered the following. Will it be a good fit? If not, experiences and potentially other recommendations? My belt is a Wilderness Frequent Flier if that plays into the equation. I got both the flat and recommended angular pad to try as options.

AIWB Wing Claw 2.5 Light-Bearing Holster for Glock
    Pistol: Glock 19/19X/45 (fits Gen 3,4,5) w/ XC1/XC1B
    Belt Loops: 1.5" Pull-the-Dot
    Color: Black
    Carry Side: Right
    Guard: Full
    Hole Pattern: Wide (only works with “Pull-the-Dot” loops)
    Flat Muzzle Pad
    Angular Muzzle Pad: Normal (Recommended for 4” barrels and up)
    Red Dot Sight Cut
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

You bought one of the best kydex AIWB holsters out there. I’d get a mastermind tactics pillow/pad/whatever they’re calling it to try too. But that’s a solid set up.

My exact set up for G17, P229, LWC, and government model. I'm starting to think I like it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    I really like the Tenicor Certum Lux with a foam pad, but have used and really like the JM as well. Tony builds great gear that should work just fine for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post

Anyway, I just ordered the following. Will it be a good fit? If not, experiences and potentially other recommendations? My belt is a Wilderness Frequent Flier if that plays into the equation. I got both the flat and recommended angular pad to try as options.

AIWB Wing Claw 2.5 Light-Bearing Holster for Glock
    Pistol: Glock 19/19X/45 (fits Gen 3,4,5) w/ XC1/XC1B
    Belt Loops: 1.5" Pull-the-Dot
    Color: Black
    Carry Side: Right
    Guard: Full
    Hole Pattern: Wide (only works with “Pull-the-Dot” loops)
    Flat Muzzle Pad
    Angular Muzzle Pad: Normal (Recommended for 4” barrels and up)
    Red Dot Sight Cut

I think you are off to a good start, although I prefer the 2.0 wing with DCC clips instead of the 2.5. And I prefer an extended length in the muzzle. But, that is going to be a personal fit and preference situation.

I do carry 100% of my awake hours. Mine are all non-light bearing. I run a G34 holster with my G17 or RDS G45. I run a 5” M&P holster with a 4” and 4.25” RDS M&P.
    I’ve ran the original, 2.0, and 2.5 with a EDC X9. The 2.0 is a X9L holster. The extended length pushes the backstrap of the gun in a bit tighter and it conceals better. Yours will be extended slightly due to your light.

The wider mounting on the tabs twist the butt of the gun tighter as well.

You just have to find what works for you.

I used to be a foam wedge on a 34 length holster but the king sized crotch pillow for Mastermind Tactics has me back to 19 or 17 length holsters which works especially well for lightbearing setups. I also have a bit of a gut.

Not the only place I’ve mentioned it but I’ll throw out my yoga block recommendation for the pad (I got the idea from Scott Jedlinski). Using a yoga block allows you to cut the shape and size of pad/wedge you need to make the rig comfortable and tip the grip in enough. For someone with a gut (I like beer and have an office job), finding the right size makes a huge difference. The mentioned Mastermind fillable pillow also looks like a great option.

Edit - for reference I’m carrying a 4” commander in a JM 2.5 for a full size 1911, and used to carry a P99 in JM holsters for 5” PPQs. No lights.

Site Supporter
    I quit looking for new holster makers after buying my first JMCK.

Currently carrying a relatively new G19 with RDS and TLR-7, after several years with a naked G19.

The RDS is a non-issue. Almost zero adjustment required.
    Adding a light adds noticeable (to me) width, but after a few hours adjusting the wedge, I was pretty good to go.
    Honestly the only slightly annoying thing was the few days it took to flatten the sharp corner of the wedge a bit. It was a little uncomfortable for a few days.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    I’d say you made a great choice. My first AIWB holster was made by Tony. Wingclaw 2.0 with pull the dots and a foam pad. Carried it everyday for 2+ years and it was awesome.
    Then got an itch and started the shopping around and trying all the latest/greatest that the cool kids were using both holsters and guns. After a year or so here I am back with the G19. Now in a light-bearing Wingclaw 2.5 with the DSC mono block and foam pad and I’m having a hard time remembering why I left!
    Someone mentioned the Tenicor certum lux, good holster and very practical if you are still deciding on what light you want to run but in my opinion not up to the level of JMCK.
    Last edited by CHNEAL; 09-29-2021 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Because spelling is hard.

With an Acro, I prefer a George to a wing claw, because the wing claw pushes the rear edge of the Acro out and prints a lot on me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List