Thread: Trigger Characteristics for Training

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Trigger Characteristics for Training

I recently purchased a SIRT Pistol for training and I’m *loving* it. I’m guessing most everyone here is familiar with the SIRT already, but if not you owe it to yourself to investigate.

You can configure the trigger on the SIRT to pretty much anything you want, from long and very heavy to short and light. I have some issues with trigger control, so I figured the best way to train with the SIRT would be to set the trigger to be as long and heavy as possible (I can’t measure it, but it feels almost as heavy as most DA revolvers I’ve fired) to practice a smooth pull to the rear. My carry pistol, a Gen4 G19, has a very different pull however.

So I’m curious to hear people’s opinions: should you train with different trigger characteristics than what you carry? Does shooting with a long, heavy trigger usually help develop better trigger control, or is my assumption off?

Im no expert but what you're saying makes sense to me. However i would think setting it to just slightly harder and longer than your carry or competition gun may be a better bet. That way your gun doesnt feel totally foreign after hours of SIRT training, it just feels easier.

Just my 2¢

I regularly dry fire using a SIRT, with the trigger as it came, and real G17. The triggers are somehwat different, both in weight and pull characteristic, but I don't think it matters. I primarily use the SIRT to keep me honest with POI as indicated by the laser, but often tape over the muzzle (and laser) using the self resetting trigger as I watch the front sight with no distraction. I finish with my actual 17, and within a press or two, am dialed back on my exact trigger.

Listen to the gun dudes podcast episodes 139 for there review and 174 for an interview with the creator of the sirt pistol Mike Huges.

Just search gundudes on iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I regularly dry fire using a SIRT, with the trigger as it came, and real G17. The triggers are somehwat different, both in weight and pull characteristic, but I don't think it matters. I primarily use the SIRT to keep me honest with POI as indicated by the laser, but often tape over the muzzle (and laser) using the self resetting trigger as I watch the front sight with no distraction. I finish with my actual 17, and within a press or two, am dialed back on my exact trigger.
    I've stopped dry-firing with my DA revolvers for these reasons. Finishing with the real gun is a great idea, I can benefit from the workout without totally forgetting what my carry gun feels like. I feel like an idiot for never thinking to do this. Thanks!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    I've wondered about the laser lyte training cartridges.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTwK_9pIhG4
    You'd be using your actual carry gun. Of course, there no trigger reset, so you'd have to rack it after each shot with a SA gun.

User Tag List