Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCAR Non-reciprocating Charging Handle

SCAR Non-reciprocating Charging Handle

https://soldiersystems.net/2021/08/3...matic-line-up/

A decade late, but better late than never. The reciprocating CH was the primary reason I never seriously considered the SCAR, as @Giving Back had written about how it was an issue for him.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    https://soldiersystems.net/2021/08/3...matic-line-up/

A decade late, but better late than never. The reciprocating CH was the primary reason I never seriously considered the SCAR, as @Giving Back had written about how it was an issue for him.
    IIRC, the reciprocating charging handle was a requirement dictated by whichever group in the DoD was the combat developer (USSOCOM). They just delivered what was asked.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    IIRC, the reciprocating charging handle was a requirement dictated by whichever group in the DoD was the combat developer (USSOCOM). They just delivered what was asked.
    Correct, it was what was specced. Doesn't mean they had to wait this long to release the non-reciprocating CH, given that the FNAC had it, and was submitted for the IC competition way back in 2012. It's my understanding that FN has had this available forever, and simply made a conscious choice to not release it to the general public.

Given that the new BCG apparently also has less reciprocating mass, it'll probably be easier on electro-optics, too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Correct, it was what was specced. Doesn't mean they had to wait this long to release the non-reciprocating CH, given that the FNAC had it, and was submitted for the IC competition way back in 2012. It's my understanding that FN has had this available forever, and simply made a conscious choice to not release it to the general public.

Given that the new BCG apparently also has less reciprocating mass, it'll probably be easier on electro-optics, too.
    I'm still waiting on a convex or flat butt plate for that UGG boot stock. They can do it for the SC version so why not the standard 16s/17s?

I wonder if this new BCG will be compatible with older guns. The article doesn't say.

I'm still waiting on a convex or flat butt plate for that UGG boot stock. They can do it for the SC version so why not the standard 16s/17s?

I wonder if this new BCG will be compatible with older guns. The article doesn't say.
    I would just get the Vltor buttstock if you wanted a flat butt plate. I wish the ACR stock also had a flat butt plate (just for all the random guns that have ACR stock adapters).

Alright, Cliffs Notes:
    • All new SCARs will be NRCH models
    • conversions will be available, but I anticipate they'll be available like spare barrels for the time being
    • Aftermarket CHs will no longer work
    • Aftermarket endplates will have to be modded or swapped
    • Drops into all Mk20s with no further mods

Full conversion from the old-standard 16/17 takes a torque wrench, a heat gun (or MAPP gas), and about ten minutes.
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/9299...83627271740644

Why did they ask for that? What’s the benefit, or at least, what’s the perceived benefit they thought they’d get?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Why did they ask for that? What’s the benefit, or at least, what’s the perceived benefit they thought they’d get?
    Provides more information about a stoppage, and is intrinsically able to be used as a forward assist (though there are obviously ways to allow a non-reciprocating CH to be used as a forward assist, as the new SCAR CH allows for, as does on the CZ Bren 2, H&K HK433, Bushmaster/RemDef ACR, etc.).

The original SCARs also had 0-45 and 0-90 throws for semi and full-auto, respectively. Until one of the component commands threw a fit over that feature, and insisted it be identical to the selector on an M-4, 0-90 & 0-180. The same component command also did not like the captured charging handle.

Said component command did NOT purchase any SCAR rifles upon USSOCOM’s adoption of the Mk17 after insisting on several design changes.

This is another great example of how poorly thought out and executed “design by committee” is by our government.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

It appears it will be available as a kit. I am not "operator" enough to need the switch. I just run my charging handle like an AK. But it is nice to know I have options. And maybe this will suppress all the endless whining about optics (I have gone through Nightforce, ACOG and VCOG and haven't had troubles yet (although I don't have a full auto gun)).

In reality, given the nature of gun people, whoever hates these guns will come up with some new reason why these are bad. Suddenly they will praise the old ones as the real ones, etc. The circle of silly will go on and on.

If the kit is in the $500 range I would definitely get one just because I am a nut. But if FN wants $1000 I'll just have to stick with my old AK/FNC/AR70 reciprocating charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    It appears it will be available as a kit. I am not "operator" enough to need the switch. I just run my charging handle like an AK. But it is nice to know I have options. And maybe this will suppress all the endless whining about optics (I have gone through Nightforce, ACOG and VCOG and haven't had troubles yet (although I don't have a full auto gun)).

In reality, given the nature of gun people, whoever hates these guns will come up with some new reason why these are bad. Suddenly they will praise the old ones as the real ones, etc. The circle of silly will go on and on.

If the kit is in the $500 range I would definitely get one just because I am a nut. But if FN wants $1000 I'll just have to stick with my old AK/FNC/AR70 reciprocating charger.
    Within the first 20 rounds of shooting a SCAR-17, I got a failure to chamber because the reciprocating charging handle got caught on s modified rest and prevented the gun from chambering a round. The reciprocating charging handle attached to a bolt like on an AK, or M-14, etc. isn't as much of a problem because it is in a further back location that is less likely to get caught on anything due to shooting ergonomics and position.

User Tag List