Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Emissary

Springfield Emissary

I've been looking at 1911s (never owned one, somehow), and the new Emissary from Springfield caught my eye. It's got just about everything I think I'd want, except that I think the trigger is polymer. But I figure I can always swap that out if it bothers me.

Anyone shot one or have any thoughts or opinions? Primary competition is the TRP which is a used Glock more expensive, and I really like the "custom-ish" looks of the Emissary (slide milling, square trigger guard, etc).
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    You may have trouble finding a holster for it. If it's going to be a range gun probably not a big deal.

I have not shot an Emissary, but have shot most everything SA has made from the bare-bones GI to the Mil-Spec to the Range Officer to the SACS Custom Carry to the SACS Pro. In my opinion, the SA frame and slide are among the best for a base pistol, but the small components are where the effort to make the price point is apparent.

I may be a cranky old man, but I get the sense that the Emissary is taking a page from the Kimber playbook, namely high-pricing for some fancy cosmetics on a good base pistol. In SA's defense, Kimber and SIG have both profited handsomely from the approach.

I would suggest buying a Range Officer Elite or Colt Rail Gun and using some of the savings to replace the sights, action components, and barrel bushing with better parts. The net result will be a better pistol with less outlay. Or just shop around for an older SACS Custom Carry.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I have not shot an Emissary, but have shot most everything SA has made from the bare-bones GI to the Mil-Spec to the Range Officer to the SACS Custom Carry to the SACS Pro. In my opinion, the SA frame and slide are among the best for a base pistol, but the small components are where the effort to make the price point is apparent.

I may be a cranky old man, but I get the sense that the Emissary is taking a page from the Kimber playbook, namely high-pricing for some fancy cosmetics on a good base pistol. In SA's defense, Kimber and SIG have both profited handsomely from the approach.

I would suggest buying a Range Officer Elite or Colt Rail Gun and using some of the savings to replace the sights, action components, and barrel bushing with better parts. The net result will be a better pistol with less outlay. Or just shop around for an older SACS Custom Carry.
    This had occurred to me as well, except the pricing doesn't seem that high ($1279). Assuming the gun runs, it seems that is pretty much the floor of what you need to spend to get a decent 1911. SA doesn't seem to have a .45 Range Officer on their website anymore (only 10mm), so it feels like the next step up would be the Loaded or TRP. I would probably just go to TRP if the Emissary doesn't make the cut.
    Join FPC

Lots of the older guns in the supply chain. Heck, my dealer has a .45 Range Officer at $800. For that matter, I would not hesitate to go used with SA due to the lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Outstanding, thank you. Not sure how I missed that in my Youtubing.
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    I examined one at a LGS. It seemed okay overall, but I'd much rather have a TRP. The strikes against the Emissary for me are the plastic trigger, slim grip panels, bushing-less barrel, and the funky u-notch rear sight. Some of those issues are easy to change, and they are all simply a matter of preference. So if you really like the Emissary there is probably no good reason not to get one.

I think I've convinced myself, if I get a 1911, to focus on the TRP. The 10-8 video (and his video on the TRP), were helpful.
    Join FPC

Square trigger guard that makes holster selection problematic. Slide modifications with no discernable benifit. No thanks. Plastic trigger? Come on Springfield. Cool looking, but too much show and not enough go. Looks like it's made for the John Wick fantasy camp.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List