Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: I took my first BJJ class yesterday - what advice would you give a neophyte?

When someone tells you "you're strong," a lot of the time it's sort of a backhanded compliment, like you gooned something with strength instead of technique.

Somebody just gave me that one after I finished an achilles lock on him. Yeah chief, my whole posterior chain is stronger than your tibialis anterior*. That's how jiu jitsu works.

*Full disclosure: I googled "muscle opposite calf" to find this.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    When someone tells you "you're strong," a lot of the time it's sort of a backhanded compliment, like you gooned something with strength instead of technique.

Somebody just gave me that one after I finished an achilles lock on him. Yeah chief, my whole posterior chain is stronger than your tibialis anterior*. That's how jiu jitsu works.

*Full disclosure: I googled "muscle opposite calf" to find this.
    Goon strengthing is accurate, but Gimli was being genuine. He's one of the guys I actively seek out because of his personality.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I maintain there’s no better cardio than fighting another person. Jiu Jitsu will gas you so fast. Open Mat and rolling is where you find out where you really are to be honest.

It’s very good to learn technique but open mat puts you under the microscope and shows you areas to work.

I’m glad this is going so well - you sound like you’re doing great and your mindset is right.

There’s a mantra “position before submission” - one thing I ran into a lot was getting married to an idea of a type of a submission or thinking I was close. Maintaining your dominant position and then just re-attempting and working what submissions are available is really good and an important distinction.

You’ll keep collecting submissions. Eventually they guard one thing - it opens for another go for the other then if they guard that go for the first. You’ll wear them down maintaining position. Also, given your size keeping someone in side control and getting pressure will also wear them out and you have to do nothing really.

Sounds like you’re a fish in water.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Open Mat and rolling
    What's the difference? (I'm not a BJJ dude but considering to become one.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    What's the difference? (I'm not a BJJ dude but considering to become one.)
    Open mat is where basically there is no formal class (either it has concluded for that day or it’s just a Saturday for example and there is no class), and you can show up and roll.

Rolling is another word for sparring. So, it might be timed, it might be untimed. Honestly, they go hand in hand. You might roll during classes if there’s a structured drill as a class, but you might just have an instructional period. Often you only roll during open mat though. So, just kind of whatever’s going on.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Ah, OK, thank you! I've already been told in this forum what "rolling" means (searched the post but could not find it anymore). But "open mat" was still new to me.

I know both from other "unarmed combatives" that I learned (but the names were different, also because here we speak German).

PS:
    Found it.
    Last edited by P30; 02-06-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Back when I was still training, I had to constantly remind myself there were rules.
    I was just rolling with a dude who plays a lot of lapel games and I was thinking to myself "what if we were really fighting and he pulled out this gamer shit" before I realized that some of his lapel gamer shit probably translated fairly well to grabbing my clothes, pulling them around my face or tying up my arm and hockey punching me to a pulp.

As a guy, it's hard to admit sometimes that I'm not as good as I thought I was...especially when I was so new to all of it that I couldn't shake a stick without pointing at someone who is so much better that they can just basically run me over within the confines of the rules.

Most every man thinks he'd be a terror in a street fight. They've seen enough Jason Bourne and John Wick, and they really think it's that easy. For some, it may very well be. After all, the average "street fighter" probably doesn't possess a high degree of capability in unarmed combat and someone with a decent sense of aggression, weight distribution and distance management can easily tear apart the "average" street fighter.

But we don't play a game of averages I suppose. Thinking I could pull off a victory against a high level martial artist in a no holds barred fight is close to lunacy, because a good portion of the guys I train with carry knives, guns, pepper spray and other weapons.

I probably didn't lose because the rules saved him. In fact, the rules likely saved me from a far worse ass whipping.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I was just rolling with a dude who plays a lot of lapel games and I was thinking to myself "what if we were really fighting and he pulled out this gamer shit" before I realized that some of his lapel gamer shit probably translated fairly well to grabbing my clothes, pulling them around my face or tying up my arm and hockey punching me to a pulp.

As a guy, it's hard to admit sometimes that I'm not as good as I thought I was...especially when I was so new to all of it that I couldn't shake a stick without pointing at someone who is so much better that they can just basically run me over within the confines of the rules.

Most every man thinks he'd be a terror in a street fight. They've seen enough Jason Bourne and John Wick, and they really think it's that easy. For some, it may very well be. After all, the average "street fighter" probably doesn't possess a high degree of capability in unarmed combat and someone with a decent sense of aggression, weight distribution and distance management can easily tear apart the "average" street fighter.

But we don't play a game of averages I suppose. Thinking I could pull off a victory against a high level martial artist in a no holds barred fight is close to lunacy, because a good portion of the guys I train with carry knives, guns, pepper spray and other weapons.

I probably didn't lose because the rules saved him. In fact, the rules likely saved me from a far worse ass whipping.

I think we may have read my post differently.

I am a fucking train wreck when it comes to grappling and ground fighting. My default response in a fight is to stand rooted in one spot and throw punches. We all know what a GREAT idea that is.

Grappling and ground fighting, much like playing guitar, is an endeavor where after years of disciplined effort, practice, and exasperated instructors I attained an embarrassing level of mediocrity. It is not my forte.

My reference to rules is that when I was practicing with people, I would note opportunities to do stuff that was off limits in practice that I wouldn't hesitate to do in real life.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think we may have read my post differently.

I am a fucking train wreck when it comes to grappling and ground fighting. My default response in a fight is to stand rooted in one spot and throw punches. We all know what a GREAT idea that is.

Grappling and ground fighting, much like playing guitar, is an endeavor where after years of disciplined effort, practice, and exasperated instructors I attained an embarrassing level of mediocrity. It is not my forte.

My reference to rules is that when I was practicing with people, I would note opportunities to do stuff that was off limits in practice that I wouldn't hesitate to do in real life.
    Oh no worries man, I was just making a point about how much I suck, not trying to dig at you or anyone here. And hey, it's probably good to recognize that stuff.

If I'm working for a submission, I don't always notice a wristlock is there unless I try to make myself see it for sure. I bet looking for the opportunity to get hands on a weapon or use a certain technique would be very useful in a real fight.

I was mostly lamenting the fact that I just suck and that I can not justify my suckiness so I might as well try to get better.

If nothing else, BJJ has helped me to deal with the fact that, in the words Liam Neeson: "There is always a bigger fish".

There are a lot of badass dudes out there and I don't stand a chance compared to even a mediocre brown belt. Let alone a black belt.

Quite a few BJJ instructors can basically wreck everyone in their academy and then go to a competition and get wrecked in turn though...so I guess they suck too? Just a little less

I can't add much to this thread but I can relate some stories from me and my former classmates.

Nails and Jewelry. These never mattered to me in other MA's until BJJ. I've had several people tell me about and show me cuts on the backs of their calves from others students who seemingly trimmed their nails. I once showed an acquaintance some rudimentary basics (the mount position, the Guillotine), he had a lot of jewelry and such on him. I stood up from mount to have the part of a clipped pen pinch and rip near the inner thigh of pants and later, I noticed dried blood on my ear from a cut I got from I assume was a bracelet, the benefit though was that nobody on the bus home messed with me.

Control. When I started training, my particular gym taught BJJ and other arts, and was in the midst of their own 'Berimbolo fever' aka go through class but wait for rolling so we can do the Cool Move with 100% abandon. I usually don't care what move you try on me but I started to care when doing X move mattered more than drilling the days lesson or when you can't tell I'm not drilling at you at the same speed and intensity. I equate this to going to a beginners shooting class and trying to imitate J. Miculek. There was also a bit of an 'arms race', where player A is not doing well sparring B and decides to a non BJJ move or a move that is more technically advanced to "win". I got injured a fair amount from this and honestly, I'm embarrassed to admit I was relieved to see the folks that did that either wash out or injure themselves and leave.

Roll with everyone and with purpose. My coaches had me roll with the 6 year old tournament stars, spazzes, all genders and a 75 year old man who wanted to learn to protect himself and his husband and I learned and benefitted from it all. This alone I could expand on more. Rolling with a purpose came from Cecil I believe, if I rolled with a total newbie, I've asked them if they had something to work on, but otherwise, I had a goal in mind if they didn't.

P30, depending on the coach, some classes have Positional Rolling/Sparring instead Rolling and Open mat. This is a sparring round that focuses on the day's lesson, ex. Armbar from Guard. The Bottom player is to try and apply the move to Top, who is to counter it. A lot of my classmates liked this stage as preliminary to full out rolling.

User Tag List