Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I took my first BJJ class yesterday - what advice would you give a neophyte?

Oh! If your gi, or no-gi gear, has to sit in your gym bag for an extended period of time after training (like if you train at lunch and have to wait until you get home from work to do laundry), do yourself a favor and get a gym bag that breathes.

I used this one: https://meisterelite.com/products/me...esh-duffel-bag

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've intentionally partnered up with a very...massive training partner the last two times. There's really nobody there his size, but I'm probably the closest on most nights. He's a great partner, but he's a work out just due to his size. I'm 5'11" and can just barely lock my legs into closed guard when he's stationary and letting me get set up due to his size. It's great feedback for if I got a sweep right, though. Littler guys I can just muscle through bad technique. I'm not muscling this dude.

We're currently doing 3 classes a week, each an hour. One fundamentals class and two white belt classes. We plan to start doing an extra hour of fundamentals soon, and then get into open mat.
    I like this and that’s the kind of thinking you’ll need. Roll with guys bigger than you (stronger) - it teaches different strengths, smaller than you it teaches how to deal with someone faster, etc. all kinds of thing look at everybody as a tool to learn from. The only thing I’d add is as you get more exposure and keep doing this eventually make sure to roll with white belts to pass on what you’ve been given and try new stuff with as well that you’re ironing out the wrinkles technique wise (say a submission you’re trying or working open guard, etc. etc. I had a guy I could not escape his mount for the life of me. So every time I saw him at the gym - I’d start ask for a roll with him and start in mount to try to escape - he obliged and usually submitted me, but I learned that doggone elbow escape that’s for sure).
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    • Tap early. If a purple belt has you in an armbar, and you can't move, but it doesn't hurt, it's because they've chosen not to crank it. Just tap.
    • If you have a question about the technique you're practicing, ask the coach rather than your training partner. Especially if your partner is a 2 stripe white belt who knows everything. If your training partner asks you a question, defer to your coach.
    • Make sure your hygiene is on point (clip your nails, wash your gi, shower before class if you have BO).
    • Don't spend too much time looking up stuff on YouTube. Ask your coach before you ask the Internet. I think more advanced students can bring in YouTube moves but they have a significant knowledge base to build on that you don't have yet.
    • If you don't have a mouthguard, get one.
    • Don't hang onto gi grips for dear life. Your fingers will thank you.
    • Roll light if you're tired instead of sitting out, if you can.
    • Drinking diluted Gatorade (I make it about 2/3 the "full" concentration) can give you more stamina. I train in the morning, and I have to drink Gatorade during hard rolls or I'm zapped for the rest of the day.
    • When rolling with an upper belt, it's OK to ask one or two questions, but don't spend the whole round asking them stuff. They want to roll too.
    • Before rolling, I think it's polite to ask if your training partner has any injuries you should be aware of.
    I can dig it. Good post!
    ”When antisemitism moves from the shameful fringe into the public square, it is not about Jews… it is about the surrounding society or the culture or the country. It is an early warning system—a sign that the society itself is breaking down. That it is dying.” -Bari Weiss

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I did my first open mat last night. Quite the workout and my fingers are still feeling it today.

First roll was a very new guy, roughly my size but 20 years younger. We just started in full guard and went to submit or escape. I submitted him (choke) when he started in my guard and escaped when I started in his.

Second roll was vs a guy who is more experienced than me but still a white belt. We started standing. I outweigh him significantly, but he's got very long arms/legs and is much more flexible than me. He ended up submitting himself by getting caught in my sleeve and wrist-locking himself. I didn't really win, he just lost.

I sat at the next one so as not to puke on my next opponent. Stomach issues (ulcers) combined with heavy cardio left me a bit nauseated for a bit.

Third roll was against a higher belt (I'm actually not sure if he's a purple belt or a blue belt with a very faded belt, it's kind of blue-purple-grey to my eyes) who's probably 10 years younger, not as heavy as me but strength wise probably on par. I had no expectations of winning, just surviving as long as possible. We started on our knees. I came pretty close to escaping his guard but he was too strong and I was too gassed to get out quite fast enough. I knew he would eventually take my back but I made him work for it. He eventually got me flattened out prone and was trying to choke me, but I had my chin tucked and a decent block on the other side of my neck. I eventually tapped because it was inevitable he would be able to work the choke in, as I couldn't think of a way to get any leverage and move.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I eventually tapped because it was inevitable he would be able to work the choke in, as I couldn't think of a way to get any leverage and move.
    I should add "that was legal and feasible". Because I did think "go to your pocket, get your knife, go monkey with a screw driver on his thigh."

Stomach issues (ulcers) combined with heavy cardio left me a bit nauseated for a bit.
    Sidebar: @BehindBlueI's Mrs. Tecum had ulcers years ago. She resolved it with what, at the time, was a frontier development: a prescription antibiotic (I forget which, there are so many and it's been so long) and pepto-bismol. I recall that the pepto-bismol was an important part of the treatment. The ulcers returned about a decade later and were given the same welcome. Never came back. It might be something to mention to your doctor. Ulcers can be a bitch.

Good luck,

Duces

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Sidebar: @BehindBlueI's Mrs. Tecum had ulcers years ago. She resolved it with what, at the time, was a frontier development: a prescription antibiotic (I forget which, there are so many and it's been so long) and pepto-bismol. I recall that the pepto-bismol was an important part of the treatment. The ulcers returned about a decade later and were given the same welcome. Never came back. It might be something to mention to your doctor. Ulcers can be a bitch.

Good luck,

Duces
    H. Pylori is a bastard. For me, the ulcers are from the stress and the strong coffee and the spicy food. Since starting BJJ only the stress has improved

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Second open mat. Draw with the first guy, older than me and shorter, but built like fucking Gimli from Lord of the Rings. He has the gall to tell me afterward "you're strong." Me? Only my grip strength, shit I want to be you when I grow up. Tapped on the second guy because I was afraid I was about to puke on him. He had me in side control but no threat to anything yet, but I was gassed from fighting Gimli from in the first round and my little gut pets were making themselves known.

I will say to other neophytes, open mat is great for learning. Just accept your limits. What I learned is I don't know any attacks from half guard yet. I told Gimli about 5 minutes in "back up is almost here, are you sure you don't want to give up?"

I should add "that was legal and feasible". Because I did think "go to your pocket, get your knife, go monkey with a screw driver on his thigh."
    Back when I was still training, I had to constantly remind myself there were rules.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"I told Gimli about 5 minutes in "back up is almost here, are you sure you don't want to give up?"

I'm totally stealing that!

User Tag List