Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I took my first BJJ class yesterday - what advice would you give a neophyte?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Donít get staph or MRSA.
    This was probably a joke, but, there is some real truth to it...

Most gyms are pretty clean, but sometimes things happen. Here's some things to do/consider doing:

- Make sure you wash your gear. With bleach. You should earn a stripe for laundry.
    - Wash your belt. With your gear. With bleach.
    - Use Lysol on your training bag/gym bag every session.
    - Keep some toenail clippers in your bag. Cheap ones. Keep your toe nails and finger nails clipped.
    - Don't be afraid to call people out for not having toe nails/finger nails cut. I'm still recovering from a failed grip break where the dude's pinky nail dug into the palm of my hand by the thumb webbing. I've got IDPA nationals coming up this week and had to take some time off.
    - Take a shower as soon as possible after class. Dr Bronner's soap on a loofah is good way to keep some small cuts from being horrible infections.
    - If you get a bad skin infection, don't roll. Impetigo, while it won't kill you, is pretty contagious.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    This was probably a joke, but, there is some real truth to it...

Most gyms are pretty clean, but sometimes things happen. Here's some things to do/consider doing:

- Make sure you wash your gear. With bleach. You should earn a stripe for laundry.
    - Wash your belt. With your gear. With bleach.
    - Use Lysol on your training bag/gym bag every session.
    - Keep some toenail clippers in your bag. Cheap ones. Keep your toe nails and finger nails clipped.
    - Don't be afraid to call people out for not having toe nails/finger nails cut. I'm still recovering from a failed grip break where the dude's pinky nail dug into the palm of my hand by the thumb webbing. I've got IDPA nationals coming up this week and had to take some time off.
    - Take a shower as soon as possible after class. Dr Bronner's soap on a loofah is good way to keep some small cuts from being horrible infections.
    - If you get a bad skin infection, don't roll. Impetigo, while it won't kill you, is pretty contagious.
    Iíd add donít feel bad calling people out for walking around the gym or especially going into the restroom barefoot. Iím sure this is awkward as a new guy but as you get more comfortable itís a good point of emphasis. Usually itís new guys who donít know any better.

I think itís already been mentioned but if you get stuck in a position and itís going no where just tap and reset, there is no point wasting a round stalled out. Tonight I was rolling with a tough blue belt who wrestled in college. He shot a darce but didnít quite have it, he worked some pressure and moved around but the choke wasnít there. We set there for a minute or so him adjusting and me just hanging out, I tapped to move on out of the position that wasnít progressing and was going to leave me with a sore neck.

@BehindBlueI's Howís class going?

IS WHAT PLANTS CRAVE BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    @BehindBlueI's Howís class going?
    Good, but can't go for two weeks. Traveling.
    Important rule change regarding political discussion here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....58#post1151858

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Maybe with talented students I would lube up with baby oil and then go at it.

User Tag List