Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 145gr Silvertip .357 or 130gr Bonded .38

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    All things being equal the 145 would probably be more accurate to to it’s weight but either should be more than accurate enough
    I wouldn't rely on "probably" for something I was going to carry with the notion I may need it in a lethal force encounter. The difference in ballistics is going to be minimal and much less likely to matter then making good hits, controllable follow up shots, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I like the 130gr rangers in .38s but for a 4" .357 I'd prefer the silvere tips.

I've seen some failures to expand in the rangers online but after I did some testing in my wife's 2" M15 I feel pretty good. Really nice expansion. Iirc the velocity was pretty disappointing though.

Very accurate too.

Take a look at the terminal ballistics of the 357 145 STHP and the Rem 38 LSWCHP.
    Expansion and penetration from a 4 inch bbl. are nearly identical. The 145 jacketed load may do better through barriers than the lhp 38 but the lhp 38 load has significantly less recoil. Some things for you to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by valian View Post
    Take a look at the terminal ballistics of the 357 145 STHP and the Rem 38 LSWCHP.
    Expansion and penetration from a 4 inch bbl. are nearly identical. The 145 jacketed load may do better through barriers than the lhp 38 but the lhp 38 load has significantly less recoil. Some things for you to consider.
    Hey,

where have you found legit ballistic testing of the 145 grain STHP?

It has a great anecdotal reputation, but I seem to remember looking for legit gel data on that round and coming up empty.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...bi-ammo-tests/

From a 3" S&W M13 the averages for all 40 shots were 13.76" penetration and .499" expansion.

The 82.5% success rate means that 33 shots went 12 inches or more into the 10% gelatin.
    10 of the 40 shots are through automobile windshield glass.

Name:  fbi2_-1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  80.3 KB

Bare Gelatin 15.80" 0.58"

Clothed Gelatin 12.90" 0.64"

https://web.archive.org/web/20130530.../357magnum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hey,

It has a great anecdotal reputation, but I seem to remember looking for legit gel data on that round and coming up empty.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210904-155238_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  36.1 KB

From a 2014 post here @PF

User Tag List