Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 145gr Silvertip .357 or 130gr Bonded .38

145gr Silvertip .357 or 130gr Bonded .38

Which load is better for defense/duty out of pocket 4 inch .357?

If intermediate barriers are a concern bonded will be better. No barrier concerns and from a 4" gun either of those will be fine.

My go to .357 remains the Speer Gold Dot in 125 or 158, whichever hits to the sights. But whatever is handy and sees 1250-1400fps will be fine.

Site Supporter
    The 145 STHP killed like the plague in 4" .357 revolvers here in the Dallas area in the 80s and 90s. Works great on Texas whitetails in my experience, too.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The 145 STHP killed like the plague in 4" .357 revolvers here in the Dallas area in the 80s and 90s. Works great on Texas whitetails in my experience, too.
    Wayne:

I just saw new production Winchester 145 grain STHP in a gunshop in Hamilton Montana this past weekend. Nice to see it is still available.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I wouldn't feel bad carrying 145 Silvertip, as it does have a very good reputation, but they recently changed from 50 round boxes, to 20 round boxes... and the stuff isn't cheap, often pushing $2/round. If they only produce 20rd boxes from here on out, I wont be buying any for a long time, if ever.

It's not a 4" gun, but when I carry my 3" .357 J-frame, I almost always use .38's... 130gr Ranger Bonded, or the 135gr Gold Dot load. They are both +P pressure. Ranger load "feels" a little softer, but IIRC they clock about the same velocity. If I had a choice between buying Silvertip, and carry RA38B that I already had, I'd just carry the .38 load.

I'd be wary of the 158gr Gold Dot... in most tests I've seen, it doesn't expand. I know, this is not 10% gel, but I've seen other tests that were, with similar results: https://www.luckygunner.com/357-mag-...rounds#geltest IIRC, even from a rifle, it doesn't seem to want to expand much.

Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    pocket 4 inch .357?
    4 inch barrel pocket revolver?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    4 inch barrel pocket revolver?
    My autocomplete occasionally throws in a non sequitur that I don’t catch.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Do they both shoot to point of aim from the revolver in question?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Do they both shoot to point of aim from the revolver in question?
    All things being equal the 145 would probably be more accurate to to it’s weight but either should be more than accurate enough

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    All things being equal the 145 would probably be more accurate to to it’s weight but either should be more than accurate enough
    Yeah, but that doesn't answer the question he asked. Have you had a chance to shoot them yet? If so, do they hit the target in the same place from your gun?

My 2" 642 hits point of aim with 125-130-grain ammo; 148-158-grain ammo hits above it. All my fixed-sight 4" revolvers hit point of aim with 148-158-grain ammo; 125-130-grain ammo hits below it. And just to keep things weird, my 3" M10-7 shoots both to point of aim.

User Tag List