Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aim Fast, Hit Fast - Clackamas, OR 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Gabe shot it with his everyday gun
    ... which is filthy unwashed gamer trash

did you loctite your sarcasm sensor? It may require recalibration

Gabe, since you video yourself constantly, have you ever thought about making informational and instructional youtube videos, a la Surf? I would watch, and I reckon most everyone else here would too.
    Last edited by fuse; 08-03-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Congratulations Gabe!
    ToddG - that bit with the timer on his last run was cold, man! But I'm sure the huge smile afterwards was worth it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Well done!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Doesn't count, he used a G34, everyone knows it's filthy unwashed gamer trash.

j/k

Awesome write up, awesome performance. Your students are lucky to have a 'certified expert' teaching them basic skills. Congrats!

and if I had to guess -

G34, defoor ameriglo, keeper AIWB?
    Not filthy unwashed gamer trash if you figure out how to actually carry it all the time.

And thank you!

Your gear guesses are pretty much right on. More in a moment...

Gabe shot it with his everyday gun & holster.
    Ahem...99% true. I do the 'put all the wear and tear on my practice gun, and carry another gun that's tested and broken in, but with minimal wear and tear' thing.

There is exactly one difference between my practice gun (which I shot in class) and my carry gun: I run all-black Ameriglo Defoor sights on the practice gun, and Ameriglo Operators on the carry gun.

I recognize the potential importance of night sight capability on my carry gun (a semi-dark theater, maybe?) and I do like having a high-visibility element (the white ring around the tritium) to the front sight, just in case, in *the moment*, I target focus - maybe I can still get some unfocused visual awareness of the front sight.

I use the all-black Defoor sights on my practice gun kind of as reverse training wheels. In the somewhat poor light of the indoor range, black sights are what I would call 'low visibility.' They are there to be seen, but I have to focus on them very well, or I won't see squat. nwhpfan noted this lighting condition during class too.

So, by using low-viz sights in an environment that already doesn't have the best lighting, it forces me to sight focus very well. I cannot cheat like I can with sights with a high-viz element to the front sight, and con myself into thinking I am giving enough visual attention to the front sight, when I may not actually be doing so. The black sights,
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Well done!
    Thank you!

Doesn't count, he used a G34, everyone knows it's filthy unwashed gamer trash.

j/k

Awesome write up, awesome performance. Your students are lucky to have a 'certified expert' teaching them basic skills. Congrats!

and if I had to guess -

G34, defoor ameriglo, keeper AIWB?
    Not filthy unwashed gamer trash if you figure out how to actually carry it all the time.

And thank you!

Your gear guesses are pretty much right on. More in a moment...

Gabe shot it with his everyday gun & holster.
    Ahem...99% true. I do the 'put all the wear and tear on my practice gun, and carry another gun that's tested and broken in, but with minimal wear and tear' thing.

There is exactly one difference between my practice gun (which I shot in class) and my carry gun: I run all-black Ameriglo Defoor sights on the practice gun, and Ameriglo Operators on the carry gun.

I recognize the potential importance of night sight capability on my carry gun (a semi-dark theater, maybe?) and I do like having a high-visibility element (the white ring around the tritium) to the front sight, just in case, in *the moment*, I target focus - maybe I can still get some unfocused visual awareness of the front sight.

I use the all-black Defoor sights on my practice gun kind of as reverse training wheels. In the somewhat poor light of the indoor range, black sights are what I would call 'low visibility.' They are there to be seen, but I have to focus on them very well, or I won't see squat. nwhpfan noted this lighting condition during class too.

So, by using low-viz sights in an environment that already doesn't have the best lighting, it forces me to sight focus very well. I cannot cheat like I can with sights with a high-viz element to the front sight, and con myself into thinking I am giving enough visual attention to the front sight, when I may not actually be doing so. The black sights, especially on the indoor range, don't help me focus well; they require it, which I think trains my visual habits better.

That's the reason for the different sights. Everything else on my practice and carry guns is identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Gabe,

Hey man I cant tell you how happy I am for you!!! All your hard work and Dedication has payed off big time!!! Now we just need the FAST as an Olympic Sport!!!
    LOL. Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Congratulations. Your hard work has paid off. Please tell us about your pistol, set up, belt, holster etc.
    I am certainly always looking for a hardware solution to a software problem
    Thank you.

Gear was as follows:

Blade-Tech Single Magazine Pouch. My reload is a lot better after going to a normal-person mag pouch like this one, instead of my double-front-IWB + knife thing I was running a while back.

Holster was Keeper, by Keepers Concealment. See the full review here: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...e-AIWB-Holster

I can't say enough about this holster. It works fantastically well for me. The great draw characteristics definitely help my draw in general, and I think on the FAST in class too. As noted in my AAR above, I feel stress and pressure. That generally leads to short-stroking, in any given motion. The high ride height of the Keeper mitigates that short-stroking to some degree, by maximizing the space available to acquire a master grip at high speed, but successfully balancing that against security and concealment.

[IMG] Happy_Family03 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

Belt is a plain old Wilderness Instructor belt, as you can see in the pictures in the Keeper review thread.

Gen3 G34: internally stock (standard spring, OEM minus connector, ~5lb trigger)

Glockmeister grip plug, ho hum.
    [IMG] Grip_Plug by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

Strip of grip tape on backstrap. This would work a lot better for shooting if I would put more of it on, but it's a concession to comfort and concealment. Grip tape on the left panel will abrade my riblets painfully, and grip tape on the right panel catches my shirt and degrades concealment. The strip on the center of the backstrap does help keep the gun in place during rapid fire, especially when shooting one-handed.
    [IMG] Grip_Tape by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

Modified mag catch. The standard length is a bit short and the extended is a bit long for my taste, and it's sharp and stabs my strong hand middle finger during shooting. I simply filed down an extended mag catch, so it's length is in-between the standard and extended lengths, and also rounded and beveled it, so it lacks any sharp edges. No issues unintentionally unseating the magazine, and I no longer have to adjust my grip to hit it on the reload. I know, I know - why don't I just get the Vickers or FBI mag catch - mine works so well for me that I have no motivation to procure another.
    [IMG] Mag_Catch_01 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] Mag_Catch_02 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

As time goes on, I more and more see my carry rig - gun, holster, mag pouches, knife, as a concealed-carry suitable race rig. It's kind of a combination of a Limited and Production rig that is secure and concealable as well. I'm going to continue exploring how competitive this rig is or is not in USPSA, but so far, it's been little to no burden to shoot this rig from concealment, both in Speed Steel and USPSA.

Separate from all that gear stuff, I was very proud of all the students. We destructernated DotTor - I think six perfect scores, lowest score of anyone was 44, and most of the rest were 47s, 48s, and 49s. They all had open minds and tried new things and learned. Two Experts in one class. Two students, one earning Advanced and one Intermediate, came straight from ECQC the three days prior. That is hardcore.

And let's hear it for nwhpfan, for the first ever Expert FAST run from full duty gear! Bravo, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Congratulations Gabe!
    ToddG - that bit with the timer on his last run was cold, man! But I'm sure the huge smile afterwards was worth it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks!

OMG it was cold. I kept it together after the 5.06, but if I had actually hit a 5.02 after that, I would have been kicking myself for all eternity. The elation when he showed me the timer made it all ok though.

... which is filthy unwashed gamer trash

did you loctite your sarcasm sensor? It may require recalibration

Gabe, since you video yourself constantly, have you ever thought about making informational and instructional youtube videos, a la Surf? I would watch, and I reckon most everyone else here would too.
    I heard your sarcasm!

I don't foresee myself making open-source instructional videos. I think there is some liability to be had there. I teach at an actual school, so my need to spread the cause and the knowledge is being met. I might consider it at some point, but the liability concern plus time constraints in my life make it unlikely. Liability issues don't have to stop me from doing stuff and filming it and putting up the video, just maybe not having it geared specifically to teaching another person how to do something when I am not actually present. Getting kind of bored with all the stand-and-shoot videos I've made - I originally did that to review myself and try to improve, and I also do it to catch awesome runs on drills, tests, and standards on video. I think I might try making some other kind of video - not sure what, but maybe something more dynamic and interesting. Time is in short supply though.

User Tag List