Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just one more revolver…

Just one more revolver…

…my ass.

Fifteen or so years ago I first became enamored with a pair of S&W revolvers that were only in production for a few years - the 619 and 620, fixed and adjustable sight 4” 7 shot .357 L frames. The 619 is like a slightly oversized model 65, and the 620 a 66. When I saw them new I was impressed with the size and balance, and liked the greater durability compared to a K frame. I hadn’t had a L frame .357 since I bought a 586 new back in 1983. I never got around to buying either, and they went out of production. From what I can tell, not many were made.

A few years ago I found one of the rarer 619s, and have always been on the lookout for a clean 620. I passed on a couple of ones that seemed to be a little beat, but a NIB 620 recently popped up. It’s a bit more than I had hoped to pay, but I’m concerned that if I don’t take it I may not find another this clean anytime soon.

I’ve almost talked myself into committing. I would set it up the same as my Model 69 - with a Bowen Rough Country rear and a gold bead Patridge front. Tempted, tempted, tempted…

My 619 and 69:

Name:  4BB384FD-F4FB-461F-AD27-51B90F4816CA.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  100.0 KB
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-30-2021 at 06:26 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Screw it. Done.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Screw it. Done.
    Congratulations. You have reached the pinnacle of self enablement. You no longer need us.

We do of course, expect pictures.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Congratulations. You have reached the pinnacle of self enablement. You no longer need us.

We do of course, expect pictures.
    Seller pic for now:

Name:  3E8C5080-0C5C-4EC4-8E19-F30101142A3A.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  46.4 KB
    Ken

Great score on the 620, and nice 619 !

The 619/620/686 Mountain Gun are the most underrated revolvers S&W ever produced. They are the mid size Smiths that allow you to have your cake, and eat it too. Bringing back the K frame Magnum, instead of the lighter barrel .357 L frame, was a step backwards. A half lug L frame is within one ounce of weight of a K Magnum with the same barrel profile (620 @ 37 oz vs 66-8 @ 36.9 oz). Add in the option of a seven round cylinder, and you have a far more size efficient package.

Sadly, these revolvers never really got a fair shake. They (619 & 620) were introduced only four years after a certain feature (that shall not be named) was added. This, combined with the two piece barrel, caused S&W traditionalists to overlook them. 2005 was one year after the expiration of the AWB, and revolvers were the last thing on most gun buyer's minds. Lastly, S&W did not market these revolvers very well. Turning away from the 686/681 model numbers caused confusion, and there was no real advertising push for these either. These factors caused them to be still born. The 686 Mountain Gun only had two small runs (a seven shot -5 and a six shot -6), and that was it. Most revolver fans have no idea they ever existed.

Now that revolvers have made a comeback (and companies keep bringing out new models), hopefully we will see the half lug/lighter barrel .357 L frame make a return someday. A three inch 619 sure would be a handy configuration.

Now you just need a 686 Mountain Gun to complete the collection

https://www.gunblast.com/SW619-620.htm

https://www.gunblast.com/SW-357MtnGun.htm
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 08-30-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Thanks! I was really attracted to them, but I was in a big post AWB purchasing frenzy at the time. I never had a 65 or 66, and they seemed like good alternatives. The seven shot cylinders were actually the main sticking point for me at the time.

My 619 is a hell of a shooter, and I’m hoping this new 620 will be the same. My field gun needs are well covered with these three L frames.

I’ll admit, though that I’ve come close to picking up a 2.75” 66-8 like @03RN‘s. I wouldn’t be surprised if I do at some point.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Thanks! I was really attracted to them, but I was in a big post AWB purchasing frenzy at the time. I never had a 65 or 66, and they seemed like good alternatives. The seven shot cylinders were actually the main sticking point for me at the time.

My 619 is a hell of a shooter, and I’m hoping this new 620 will be the same. My field gun needs are well covered with these three L frames.

I’ll admit, though that I’ve come close to picking up a 2.75” 66-8 like @03RN‘s. I wouldn’t be surprised if I do at some point.
    I've been completely impressed with my -8. 25k full power loads, a great trigger, easily upgraded sights, sooo easy to carry. I just checked GunBroker the other day. New -8s in the $800 range. $300 more than I spent but not a bad deal in today's world. I was tempted to get a 4" -8 to give my 19-3 a rest.

With the 4" -8 I'm not sure Smith will redo the 620. The extra round is nice but at least the durability concerns have been addressed in the k frame.

Those l frames are pretty sweet. Like the night guards. Just the wrong time.

Site Supporter
    Ok, so the 686 is my favorite revolver..........no matter the dash number.

For a light weight 686 check out the SSR.

I can look back over the decades and see times when I should have bought a firearm or not sold a firearm. In other words, regrets. The debate within usually centers whether I should spend the money....wants vs needs. Can't make the decision for you, but I can empathize with your back and forth debate within.

Hi guys,

A quick response from across the big pond… Mostly Reading and not much posting but wanted to shim in…. Being raised on the Euro pellet I discovered revolvers too late in life.. A friend of mine from the US, long time revolver shooter, made that happen, thankfully…

Down here I was able to get a Luxemburg police trade in Smith 620, a factory 6 shot, and started shooting it for fun…. Really enjoy it and I feel you benefit from it in regards to triggercontrol when shooting autos… Something I read here on the forum on occasion as well

Just wanted to share my experience and hope the upload worked☺️

Regards Jumme
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List