Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gamer's guns cycling tune-up

Is there any sort of plate you are using to mount your optic? If so, you could run a steel plate on the lighter slide, and an aluminum one on the heavier slide.

Or, you could have someone silver solder a 1/2 ounce brass weight rod into one of the relief pockets inside the slide, or machine a precise plug and install it with green Loctite (which is permanent and designed for that sort of thing). You could also mix tungsten powder with epoxy and partially fill one of the blind relief pockets.

As long as it isn’t a duty or personal protection firearm, that would likely solve the problem.

Start running custom 180g all copper bullets in the lighter one.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Is there any sort of plate you are using to mount your optic? If so, you could run a steel plate on the lighter slide, and an aluminum one on the heavier slide.
    Those are done differently, plate vs direct mill.

I am not really looking to equalize the weight. I was interested in public opinion if lighter slide needed lighter springs for optimal cycling etc.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am not really looking to equalize the weight. I was interested in public opinion if lighter slide needed lighter springs for optimal cycling etc.
    Check my math, but assuming the same ammo: Wouldn't a lighter slide need a heavier spring because the slide velocity would be higher so the kinetic energy would be much higher?

I don't think 1/2 ounce is going to matter at all, but when I shot my 3oz lighter PM slide it was noticeably snappier. Which is why I went to a heavier slide, it was easier to predict and time the recoil impulse to vision.

I have no doubt that an ‘in tune’ shooter might notice a feel difference with 1/2 ounce, but in my experience (same pistols with and without RDS) even 2 ounces makes no difference in terms of function, and at my level (USPSA C, ‘cause I don’t wanna get kilt in da streetz and also I’m too broken to sprint fast these days) it makes no difference as to split times, transitions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Check my math, but assuming the same ammo: Wouldn't a lighter slide need a heavier spring because the slide velocity would be higher so the kinetic energy would be much higher?
    I don't know. Not sure if it is kinetic energy or momentum that should be used. If it is the momentum, I don't know what's the end product of higher velocity × lower mass is going to be.

Yesterday I combined the lighter slide with my heaviest mainspring. I liked what I saw on the sights and the slide clearly slowed down, evidenced by a rather anemic (but not unreliable) ejection. Unfortunately it degraded trigger quality on that particular gun too much. I am gonna play more with different combinations later.

@Archer1440: splits are pretty much the same. I am trying to gain a little bit of extra margin for my predictive shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am trying to gain a little bit of extra margin for my predictive shooting.
    I was told that is what flashlights are for... No?

There's probably a lot of information here; https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/28-gun-springs/?

You might have to do a search. I haven't followed the spring issue for a while since I decided to just run stock springs in my Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I was told that is what flashlights are for... No?
    I don't have an appendix holster for this gun.

User Tag List