Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XS Sight Systems +2 round 870 mag extension problem.

XS Sight Systems +2 round 870 mag extension problem.

So I'm stuck. I purchased the XS sight systems +2 mag extension for the 870, that includes the swaging tool to push out the dimples in the mag tube. This looked to me like a better solution than dremel or drilling them out and leaving holes in the tube, and it looked like it should be easier.

Well, after following the instructions for use and installation( which provide no pictures, and are not included with the kit, I had to look them up on the website), I now have the swaging tool stuck in my shotguns mag tube, and see no way of getting it out.

Has someone else used this kit, and can you tell me what I did wrong? I followed the instructions as I understood them, but obviously I was missing something.

Edit: Would this be more appropriate for the shotgun subforum?
    Last edited by MandoWookie; 08-29-2021 at 05:02 PM.

Take a metal rod and hammer and carefully knock swager out. Some Kroil or liquid wrench around swager might help.

I swaged 4+ dimpled 870 mag tubes by using a smooth steel rod smaller than the inside of the tube and a smooth face light hammer.

Clamp rod in vice, position so tube with detent is on straight rod and tap tube with hammer until detent is even with the rest of the tube.

Use very light taps, moving tubr around until detent is gone.

This is called hammer and dolly work.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Take a metal rod and hammer and carefully knock swager out. Some Kroil or liquid wrench around swager might help.

I swaged 4+ dimpled 870 mag tubes by using a smooth steel rod smaller than the inside of the tube and a smooth face light hammer.

Clamp rod in vice, position so tube with detent is on straight rod and tap tube with hammer until detent is even with the rest of the tube.

Use very light taps, moving tubr around until detent is gone.

This is called hammer and dolly work.
    The mag tube is still installed on the shotgun, how do I get a metal rod in it in such a way as you describe?

First reference:

https://xssights.com/remington-870-m...extension-kit/

This is the kit I am using.

Edit to add:
    https://xssights.com/content/Install...%20Install.pdf

These are the instructions provided.

Clamp metal rod horizontal in vice sticking out of vice a few inches. I used a 14” bar and left 5” inches sticking out.

Take barrel off of 870, take mag spring and follower out.

Put forward end of mag tube over rod.

Hold 870 such that mag tube is over rod far enough that rod is past detents by 2+ inches.

Turn mag tube so detent is centered and level with rod on rod top. Tap on and around detent lightly with smooth face light hammer until detent area is even with rest of mag tube.

Repeat for all detents. Feel inside with finger. If it is smooth you are finished.

Hope this helps.

Clamp metal rod horizontal in vice sticking out of vice a few inches. I used a 14” bar and left 5” inches sticking out.

Take barrel off of 870, take mag spring and follower out.

Hold 870 such that mag tube is over rod far enough that rod is past detents by 2+ inches.

Turn mag tube so detent is centered and level with rod on rod top. Tap on and around detent lightly with smooth face light hammer until detent area is even with rest of mag tube.

Repeat for all detents. Feel inside with finger. If it is smooth you are finished.

Hope this helps.
    Okay, I dont see how this helps the first issue, which is the swage stuck in the end of the mag tube.
    And with the swage already stuck, i have been doing the tapping around the detents( with punches instead of a light flat faced hammer, per the instructions from manufacturer). I assumed this was to accomplish what you are recommending.

Because I am worried I might damage the gun if I proceed and find myself exceeding my actual capability to repair it, (and there are things I want done with this firearm I know I am not capable off doing), does anyone have any recommendations for a competent gunsmith in the Northwest Arkanasa area?

Sorry , I thought you had got the swage out.

Sorry , I thought you had got the swage out.
    No problem. I'm gonna soak it in kroil and let it sit, then see if that helps loosen it up.

I haven't yet had time to return to the problem, but I would like to repeat the request for any recommendations for a reputable gunsmith in the Northwest Arkanasas/Southwest Missouri area that anyone may be aware of.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I haven't yet had time to return to the problem, but I would like to repeat the request for any recommendations for a reputable gunsmith in the Northwest Arkanasas/Southwest Missouri area that anyone may be aware of.
    David Rose in Farmington, AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    David Rose in Farmington, AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I looked up his store on Google and the first review said this:

"Awful store just tried to argue with me that the United Nations report on climate change in 2021 was manipulated because they are hillbilly trash conspiracy theorist types. Please incinerate this place immediately."

Which is so out of left field its hilarious.

I will look in there when I can, hopefully he will be open to my patronage.

User Tag List