Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: S&W 5906

Site Supporter
    I just got a couple of S&W magazines for the 5906 from a forum member, so I went to the range to make sure they worked okay, and of course, they did. I put another 60 rounds through it, 30 of my handloads and 15 each of Blazer Brass 115-grain and S&B 115-grain. I had dug out an old Galco Yaqui Slide-style holster that fits anything to try some work from the holster. I had time for three tries at the Five Yard Roundup before other folks came on the range and I had to return to the line (targets are fixed location). I had a really hard time finding the faded white three-dot sights and am still getting used to the heavier trigger, so I had a hard time making the times. The third time was the charm, made the times with a score of 96. The last 30 rounds were from the line at ten yards, 22 rounds DA including some two-round (DA/SA) pairs.

I've Sharpied the dots on the rear sight and the second coat of white is drying on the front, soon to be followed by a coat of fluorescent orange. I just ordered a JMCK OWB2 for it. Things are coming together for this.

Site Supporter
    The holster came in, as did a pack of reduced power mainsprings from Wolff and factory magazine springs and followers from Midway. I installed the lightest mainspring (16 lbs, factory is 20) and went to the range. I shot 30 rounds from the line, using the two magazines with fresh springs and followers, then did some drills and some DA work. I made it through 85 rounds of my handloads and ten rounds of S&B hardball with no issues and had good primer indents on the Federal 205 small rifle primers in my handloads.

When I ordered the holster, Tony told me that the only mold he has is for a 6906, so I got it knowing it would be a bit short, turned out to be 1/2" short of covering the muzzle end of the slide. Other than that, it's the usual level of JMCK craftsmanship and the shortness doesn't impede function. ("Sure, revchuck38, that's what you tell ALL the girls!")

I'm re-taking a couple of classes at KRTraining this weekend, and I'm thinking about using the 5906 for the daylight part. It'd almost be like a mini-Historical Handgun seminar.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Gday fellas from Sweden.

Bought a used 5906 a couple months ago, and I have a question...

My pistol eject cases far away, 123 grain standard loads eject cases 5 times as long as a glock, up to 4-5 meters.

Is it normal for the gun? I got a lot of extra springs with the gun, and i suspect there was a reduced power recoil spring installed, but i have ordered new standard springs from Wolf with little change in ejection pattern.

Should i be worried the gun is battering itself to death?

Anyone else have any input?

other then that, the gun work flawlessly and is a pleasure to shoot. Its the one with adjustable sights..
    SA trigger is right around 1350-1400 grams - around 3 lbs. Its the lowest allowed for competitions with this sort of gun.
    I suspect there is a softer trigger return spring installed aswell, but I have not attempted to remove it. The hammer spring i have 3 diffrent versions of to.

User Tag List