Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First try with RDS

First try with RDS

So a buddy was asking me about RDS on a Glock 26. Hes never shot RDS and isnt sure how to proceed. I certainly dont know so Im asking for recommendations here. He already has a Glock 26 Gen 5.
    My initial thought was to purchase an aftermarket slide in case it doesnt work out for him.
    I have no idea who makes such a slide. Can you buy Glock slides? I could be wrong but I think you would have a hard time selling or trading out a milled pistol without loosing your ass in the deal. I thought it would be easier to sell an aftermarket slide with a RDS than a milled pistol.
    Then the next question is which RDS. I havent kept up with it so I dont have any idea. Another thing is which size dot.
    Probably not covering a lot of variables here that can be hashed out as the conversation progresses. Thanks in advance.
    ETA I did recommend he go with a duty rated RDS with a really good warranty. Like I said I havent been keeping up with it but off the top of my head that would be Trijicon Leuopold or the Acro. I see there is a second gen of Acro so Im assuming they fixed the battery issues.
    Last edited by UNK; 08-29-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Brownells and Rocky Precision (among others, I’m sure) make optic compatible slides for the Glock 26. I’m not familiar with Rocky, but a buddy of mine has a Brownells slide for his G17 and it works well. Most will be milled for a specific optic footprint (ie: RMR) which will limit options compared to a modular system like a Glock MOS or Agency AOS. That said, they’re a pretty inexpensive way to get into optics with the ability to go back to stock if it doesn’t work out.

As for which optic/dot size - That’s like asking who he should marry. There are some decent guidelines, but in the end it’s about personal preference and what features he wants. An RMR footprint will accommodate a variety of optics from the Trijicon RMR and SRO to many of the Holosun optics and I believe there are some other inexpensive optics that share the footprint as well.

Dot size and reticle type are absolutely personal preference and while some will say a smaller dot is more precise and a larger dot is faster, the reality is that physiology of the eye can greatly influence how the dot is perceived and what works great for one person for one thing may not work for another. As an example, I shoot an 8MOA ring as accurately as a 1MOA dot if I’m wearing my contacts. If not, especially if it’s not bright daylight, the ring becomes two very fuzzy rings and accuracy becomes way more difficult. Even dots of the same size can be perceived differently depending on the person and the optic. I like the 3.5MOA dot on ACROs better than the 3.25MOA dots on RMRs and they’re basically the same size and I like the Holosun 2MOA dot better than the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro’s 2.5MOA. I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who feel the opposite.

All that to say the more optics he can try the better informed his decision will be. If that’s not possible, they all will work so he’ll have to consider compatibility (footprint), features, price, and reputation in making his choice.

Thanks for replying I did go to Brownells and saw they have slides specific for the glock 26 but didnt see a Gen 5 specific slide. I hadnt heard of Rock but its the same thing there Gen 3&4 no Gen 5. Whats the reason behind that? Has Glock got a patent keeping people from mfg a Gen 5 slide?
    Im wondering if it might be better to get his slide milled for a plate system like the Glock MOS. If he doesnt stay with it he coukd always put the plate on and drive on.
    Last edited by UNK; 08-29-2021 at 11:12 AM.

I am not aware of an optics ready, OEM or after market slide, for the Gen 5 26.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Ok thanks that will save searching time.
    It looks like milled is the only option then.
    So plate system or direct milled? If plate system any particular ones should he look at?

https://www.mapleleaffirearms.com/co...-trijicon-rmr/
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-S...C-2500003.aspx

My recommendations:
    • Set Back Configuration
    • Black Nitride Treatment

Trijicon SRO 5.0 MOA for choice of optic.
    I originally had my G26.5 slides milled by BattleWerx. However, I changed my preference after seeing Maple Leaf Firearms' work on a M&P 2.0. I like the additional front posts and cleaner finishing. I also recommend opting for the nitride treatment as my bare slides do show some signs of surface discoloration after a few months of use.

P.S. If it turns out your buddy doesn't like the RDS slide after trying it, then I have a stock G26.5 slide with front serrations that I can trade him for.

Thanks a bunch. Thats very good pricing on the milling and treatment. I agree about the nitride if I was doing it thats the route I would go vs Ceracote. The pricing at euro optic is that standard pricing for Trijicon or is that a good deal?

ETA @Glock26

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Good call. I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Thanks a bunch. Thats very good pricing on the milling and treatment. I agree about the nitride if I was doing it thats the route I would go vs Ceracote. The pricing at euro optic is that standard pricing for Trijicon or is that a good deal?

ETA @Glock26
    It is the best current price from a reputable dealer that I'm aware of for a 5.0 MOA SRO. The 1.0 and 2.5 MOA versions are easier to find. The 5.0 version is the most popular because a bigger dot is generally preferred by competitive pistol shooters. A few months ago, they were near unobtainium. For reference, the prices I've paid for mine:

1. Sport Optics - $527.98 (TAX)
    2. Heart of Texas Armory - $487.94 (NO TAX)
    3. Primary Arms - $517.19 (TAX)
    4. Euro Optic - $544.31 (TAX)

I personally think a SRO is a little big for a 26, but that’s just me.

I have a 26.5 slide at Battlewerx right now being milled for a RMRcc. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List