Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your Fancy Leather Gear

I have always tried to set her up with quality gear that will last her, instead of cheap stuff that kids often get. Bearing in mind that I am not exactly wealthy, sometimes this takes a bit of doing to make that happen.

It's been posted on here before that when she was little, she started doing mounted cowboy action shooting. Most people get Italian clone SAAs. She used the guns owned by her coach for a while. Then when it was time for her to buy her own, I got her a matched pair of Ruger Montados. which a 3.5" .45 Colt Vaqueros, and had them sent off to a guy who specializes in building custom guns for the sport. The guns have an amazing action job and the barrel cylinder gap is set so they will not jam up after a dozen black powder based loads have gone through it.

Age 11 at Christmas:

Today she is still using those same Rugers and due to that, has never had to upgrade. More than a few people have tried to buy the pair of them off of her.

This is a pic when was old enough to hunt where she used my Tikka T3 6mm Remington.

She dropped this doe at 200 yards with a bullet right behind the shoulder as instructed:

Since she like it, I decided it was time to invest some effort into a good rifle for her.

I set her up with a T3 in 308 and an SWFA. Essentially a "One gun to rule them all" type rifle. I explained to her that with this rifle she can kill everything from elk, mule deer and moose to coyotes and badgers and would never need another rifle.

When she turned 18 I gave her a 1950s era Marlin Model 39 Mountie that I had driven to central Montana to pick up. She loves cowboy stuff/ John Wayne and used to ask me to rack the lever guns whenever I had one out of the safe, so I picked her up her own Mountie. I have my own well used Mountie, and while it will eventually be passed down, that day is not here yet.

So longer story short, for a "lifetime" .22, she received a Marlin Mountie and a new Japanese built weaver, that was sighted in at 50 yards.

Back to the .357 and holster, the kiddo also talked me out of my Schrade Sharp Finger.

Figure she should be set with that as a knife-gun, belt combo.

She knows to carry the first 2 chambers as snake shot, then the next 4 as 170 grain Keith hard cast .357s.

She has also been instructed on my ear hole to eye hole method on putting large animals down, case of an emergency.

Anyways,

Thats the response to "Now there's a man as loves his daughter!"

Wink

Nice response.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I have always tried to set her up with quality gear that will last her, instead of cheap stuff that kids often get. Bearing in mind that I am not exactly wealthy, sometimes this takes a bit of doing to make that happen.

It's been posted on here before that when she was little, she started doing mounted cowboy action shooting. Most people get Italian clone SAAs. She used the guns owned by her coach for a while. Then when it was time for her to buy her own, I got her a matched pair of Ruger Montados. which a 3.5" .45 Colt Vaqueros, and had them sent off to a guy who specializes in building custom guns for the sport. The guns have an amazing action job and the barrel cylinder gap is set so they will not jam up after a dozen black powder based loads have gone through it.

Age 11 at Christmas:

Today she is still using those same Rugers and due to that, has never had to upgrade. More than a few people have tried to buy the pair of them off of her.

This is a pic when was old enough to hunt where she used my Tikka T3 6mm Remington.

She dropped this doe at 200 yards with a bullet right behind the shoulder as instructed:

Since she like it, I decided it was time to invest some effort into a good rifle for her.

I set her up with a T3 in 308 and an SWFA. Essentially a "One gun to rule them all" type rifle. I explained to her that with this rifle she can kill everything from elk, mule deer and moose to coyotes and badgers and would never need another rifle.

When she turned 18 I gave her a 1950s era Marlin Model 39 Mountie that I had driven to central Montana to pick up. She loves cowboy stuff/ John Wayne and used to ask me to rack the lever guns whenever I had one out of the safe, so I picked her up her own Mountie. I have my own well used Mountie, and while it will eventually be passed down, that day is not here yet.

So longer story short, for a "lifetime" .22, she received a Marlin Mountie and a new Japanese built weaver, that was sighted in at 50 yards.

Back to the .357 and holster, the kiddo also talked me out of my Schrade Sharp Finger.

She knows to carry the first 2 chambers as snake shot, then the next 4 as 170 grain Keith hard cast .357s.

She has also been instructed on my ear hole to eye hole method on putting large animals down, case of an emergency.

Anyways,

You've posted a lot of this before which is why I've been setting my kids up the way I have. My son is 4 and daughter both have m64s. I'm waiting on leather until I know if they're right or left handed.

Name:  IMG_20220810_104342.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  19.6 KB

My daughter has been eyeing my summer special last couple days.

I'm telling ya she won't fit in it.

Site Supporter

Glock 19 Gen 5

My new Gen 5 19 with Vickers Parts and a Sparks SS2 with Shark Loops, Palmetto Leatherworks Shark Magazine Pouches, Clinch Pick, ZT 350 and a Streamlight ProTac2L.

Name:  Gen 5 19.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  78.4 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Age 11 at Christmas:

Anyways,

My daughter is 9. She loves horses and is learning to ride. I need to get on the ball and teach her to shoot. You're post is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

My daughter with my loaded in a Ryan Grizzle.
    Name:  IMG_20220816_111413.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  69.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220816_102853.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  74.9 KB

I swear I'm more than a USPSA bullet hose and AIWB junkie!

http://instagram.com/p/CgA9iXOMfj9/

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I swear I'm more than a USPSA bullet hose and AIWB junkie!

http://instagram.com/p/CgA9iXOMfj9/
    What sight is on the Manurhin?
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

User Tag List