Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Colt handgun thread

Vintage Colt handgun thread

I looked and didn’t see one so here we are! Open to single actions, double actions, 1911s. Preferably vintage production but hey, if you just scored a new production Colt Government Model or Turnbull restored SAA to post up I’m not going to judge. Well, maybe just a little…

Here’s my .455 New Service that needs new beauty pics

Name:  4B71E22A-427B-4472-808B-2E62721AB637.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  60.4 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Name:  20170706_124515.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  47.8 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Oh, I forgot about the 1903 and 1908! I had some 1903s about 15 years ago but let them go for some stupid reason. DOH!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

It's amazing to me that old Colt revolvers, except SAA's, don't get nearly the attention that S&W revolvers do. I'm generally talking about pre WW2 production. Look at the prices people want for Smith Hand Ejectors compared to something like a pre war Colt Officers model. I just bid on a S&W HE and it went for over 1K. It wasn't in that great of condition either. I collected Colt 1911's for awhile, still have a few.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Name:  EA680753-C02D-4033-AD4D-9620CC572E98.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  99.0 KB
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It's amazing to me that old Colt revolvers, except SAA's, don't get nearly the attention that S&W revolvers do. I'm generally talking about pre WW2 production. Look at the prices people want for Smith Hand Ejectors compared to something like a pre war Colt Officers model.
    I think some of it is the reputation of Colt's having a delicate DA (true or not), in the past they've been higher priced than comparable S&W (at least they were in my formative years) and maybe more than a little Colt snobbery that drove the prices up sooner than happened with S&W.

Not long after I tuned 21 (early-90s) I worked for a pawn shop chain and the Smiths were always lower priced and more available than comparable Colt's. Not that I could afford either at the time, but that's what I saw on a regular basis in the stores I worked. Same when I played a little in the S&W world in the mid-oughts. Part of it might have been the numbers of turn-ins and reimports as PDs and foreign customers upgraded. I suspect S&W had a greater share of those markets, especially the foreign markets, than Colt.

Name:  Vintage Colts.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  104.7 KB

Add in some non-Colt items from the safe and we are ready to fight the Kaiser over there...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

1930 Colt Official Police, 22lr.

Early Colt 'vest pocket', that was my grandfather's when he was NYPD in the 30's and 40's.
    Colt Trooper mk3, around 1975'ish.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

A Colt 'Black Army' 1911 [not a1]. I bought this from a friend, whose father shot bullseye with it. Somewhere in it's history it was hardchromed, and all controls done in nitride bluing. [Very 70's]
    It shot wadcutter like a lazer, but not so much with hardball.

The grips are Hakan Pek.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Black box Colt 3rd Dragoon

Name:  IMG_1732.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0205.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  54.6 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List