Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Foley Ousted at USPSA

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Did you guys notice that the conversation here is mostly about the rules, not Foley's communication style and the incidents which technically caused his departure? It does show what really triggered the whole thing and mobilized so many people.
    Not many organization heads can refer to a member as a "Millennial Fag" and survive like he did. Will the members ever know what the charges were?
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Did you guys notice that the conversation here is mostly about the rules, not Foley's communication style and the incidents which technically caused his departure? It does show what really triggered the whole thing and mobilized so many people.
    While that's true, I'm not sure the two are related.

USPSA went through a bunch of rules changes lately, that not everyone was thrilled to death with, so people want to discuss it. And what they REALLY DON'T like is unmanaged change, which seems to have happened here. Rules changes appeared arbitrarily and were introduced without a comment period. Mike Foley was President during this time, but I don't know how the club works at a national level to understand how much influence he had on the process.

However, as to his removal as President: I support it.

He first came to my attention by using homophobic slurs ("Fags") in a discussion I was following online a few years ago. It's just not appropriate, at all. In 2018, Mr. Foley was involved in a disagreement with Ben Berry, which I'm sure most have seen chronicled on Ben's web site. Most recently this year, I read of Mr. Foley's argument with Trevor Cotter at the LOCAP Nationals. This latest incident was consistent with all his previous actions.

When the BOD announced that there would be a vote on 8/24, I followed the advice of @Clusterfrack and @cheby and wrote to my AD (Area 6), as well as all the other ADs:

Dear xyz - I'm Rich Jenkins, USPSA member A92555.

I know you are busy, so I will be brief: I would like to voice my support for removing Mr. Mike Foley as USPSA President.

His actions, including those most recent, do not reflect the values of our organization, in my view, and he should no longer be in any leadership position.

Very sincerely,

Rich Jenkins
    Venice Florida

Whether my email had any effect or not, I have no idea, but I wanted to make sure I had a chance to make my opinions known. I am very glad that the ADs voted, 7-0, for his removal, and we can as an organization move on.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Not many organization heads can refer to a member as a "Millennial Fag" and survive like he did. Will the members ever know what the charges were?
    Somehow I doubt it. My email gave me a link to see the Board minutes, but when you follow that link it doesn't take you to the minutes. Also, when you search for "BOD minutes" or "Board minutes" you get links for the agenda, which is just one line about holding a vote, and the most recent actual minutes posted are from three years ago.

Clearly the USPSA Board doesn't care about informing the membership of what goes on at the meetings, so I doubt they will even give us meeting minutes, let alone any real information about what transpired.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Somehow I doubt it. My email gave me a link to see the Board minutes, but when you follow that link it doesn't take you to the minutes. Also, when you search for "BOD minutes" or "Board minutes" you get links for the agenda, which is just one line about holding a vote, and the most recent actual minutes posted are from three years ago.

Clearly the USPSA Board doesn't care about informing the membership of what goes on at the meetings, so I doubt they will even give us meeting minutes, let alone any real information about what transpired.
    Well and to be honest, having been a part of board meetings (not as a board member but technical support) - if the guy got in fist fights at national matches and/or used the language here. Who knows what insanity happened at that meeting. The dude could’ve threatened to sue them, had a melt down of epic proportions, etc. if I were them I’d have had security there.

8:00 meeting starts
    8:15 Mike comes into the meeting
    8:16 Mike threatens sue, argues with Bob, and starts a tirade that lasts until 9:03
    9:04 We talk about termination given the actions
    9:05 Mike starts another tirade.
    10:06 We remove Mike to have discussion and vote.

Whatever the case is they may not want that kind of laundry out in the open for this one. But I think recording board meetings and sharing them with the public where they cover a set of topics is a good idea IMHO. It lets us know where our board is at and candidly who has what view that’s shaping our sport and how good our representation is. Some Board members are there to collect a check (not in this board perhaps, but others) and have been chosen to be a yes man for the real power holder in those meetings.
    God Bless,

Brandon

It’s true that the link in the email from USPSA directs us to an out of date summary page of the minutes.

Here is the correct link to the PDF document of the latest minutes, as well as a letter containing the summary results of the investigative report from a law firm that led to the board decision, which the USPSA approved for public distribution.

https://uspsa.org/documents/minutes/...vzYRftcoqmP1bk

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    It’s true that the link in the email from USPSA directs us to an out of date summary page of the minutes.

Here is the correct link to the PDF document of the latest minutes, as well as a letter containing the summary results of the investigative report from a law firm that led to the board decision, which the USPSA approved for public distribution.

https://uspsa.org/documents/minutes/...vzYRftcoqmP1bk
    Thank you, but I'm wondering how you found it.

I searched for both terms, on the USPSA.org website, that I listed previously, which are logical search terms when looking for the information described in the email. That linked document was nowhere to be found.

Whether it was intended this way or not, making it hard to find that information gives the impression the Board is trying to "bury" that document, and hide from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Well and to be honest, having been a part of board meetings (not as a board member but technical support) - if the guy got in fist fights at national matches and/or used the language here. Who knows what insanity happened at that meeting. The dude could’ve threatened to sue them, had a melt down of epic proportions, etc. if I were them I’d have had security there.

8:00 meeting starts
    8:15 Mike comes into the meeting
    8:16 Mike threatens sue, argues with Bob, and starts a tirade that lasts until 9:03
    9:04 We talk about termination given the actions
    9:05 Mike starts another tirade.
    10:06 We remove Mike to have discussion and vote.

Whatever the case is they may not want that kind of laundry out in the open for this one. But I think recording board meetings and sharing them with the public where they cover a set of topics is a good idea IMHO. It lets us know where our board is at and candidly who has what view that’s shaping our sport and how good our representation is. Some Board members are there to collect a check (not in this board perhaps, but others) and have been chosen to be a yes man for the real power holder in those meetings.
    I understand what you're saying, but trying to bury the facts will only lead to speculation and rumors, which are likely to hurt the reputation of the organization more than the actual facts.

This is especially true in the modern era, where the rumors will live on forever on the internet, and will be easily found by people researching the organization.

Site Supporter
    I understand what you're saying, but trying to bury the facts will only lead to speculation and rumors, which are likely to hurt the reputation of the organization more than the actual facts.

This is especially true in the modern era, where the rumors will live on forever on the internet, and will be easily found by people researching the organization.
    Oh I understand. I just meant like Wayne LaPiere has damaged the NRA.

Ousting the USPSA President and having that on live streamed or presented to the public could have a real bad look for us. Not just folks who are friendly to the USPSA will watch and in legal proceedings the USPSA has been used to justify legalizing things under “sporterizing, etc.” guns that the ATF says have no sporting purpose.

I think filming the actual meeting where they discuss rules, rule changes, and discuss things for vote is great. I think us seeing where they order their lunch, talk about the flight-in, how’s your momma and them, etc. is not so great.

I also think there should be things discussed behind closed doors because of NYTimes, ATF, etc. and them getting an inside view of us.

Does this make sense?

I mean really meeting minutes seems very pertinent, but to me we should also have days where they discuss with us.

I once assisted a Public board that presented to family members. There were things the board needed to have straightened out and present to the family. Day 1 was internal and Day 2 was family “Here’s what we’re doing with your company” by the head of the BoD.

I think minutes and even that would be light years from where we are presently it seems.

I dunno - I’m a nobody just voicing my opinion.

ETA:

The family members were shareholders. In my parallel - we’d be the shareholders.
    Last edited by BWT; 08-27-2021 at 10:17 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Thank you, but I'm wondering how you found it.

I searched for both terms, on the USPSA.org website, that I listed previously, which are logical search terms when looking for the information described in the email. That linked document was nowhere to be found.

Whether it was intended this way or not, making it hard to find that information gives the impression the Board is trying to "bury" that document, and hide from the truth.
    FWIW, I was able just now to go to the uspsa web site, log in, view the "Announcements" page and see the BOD minutes for 8/24, which included the attorney statement. Same document (as far as I can tell?) that @Archer1440 posted just above.

Are you a member?

USPSA sent me an email with a link to the minutes which contained the findings of the investigation. They don’t seem to be hiding anything.

User Tag List