Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What about the M2 Benelli?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @GJM, can you talk about inertial (M2) vs. gas (1301)? My understanding is that while inertial is simpler, malfunctions can be caused by shooting from unconventional positions that do not allow the gun to move sufficiently during recoil.
    The M2 that I had and the Vinci that I currently have would/will shoot 2.75", 1 1/8oz low recoil (1145fps) Win AA loads reliably. ETA: I think this is on the very edge of reliability but they've been good to date.

I used to shoot a fairly large local 3 gun match with both and saw a bunch of M2s in action. Some said they had issues running the LR stuff but I never actually saw it happen. If I were to guess that would be 20+ guys running M2s. We even had a stage once that we had to shoot from the hip. Don't recall any malfs in my squad or hearing of any on other squads and there would have been some bitching, I promise!

It is great to have options!

Name:  82185E4D-4128-4F36-AE7A-099C43E99324.jpeg
Views: 904
Size:  76.8 KB

My single favorite AK shotgun.

Name:  94D95139-0E62-41AE-8AD4-1BBB5DF3A880.jpeg
Views: 678
Size:  43.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is great to have options!

Name:  82185E4D-4128-4F36-AE7A-099C43E99324.jpeg
Views: 904
Size:  76.8 KB

My single favorite AK shotgun.

Name:  94D95139-0E62-41AE-8AD4-1BBB5DF3A880.jpeg
Views: 678
Size:  43.4 KB
    Was your approach for the favorite to just buy a youth model and cut the barrel down? If I ever have a real budget for a defensive shotgun instead of gradually modding an 870 I’m tempted to go that route, cutting the barrel to 18” or so and adding an extension. Seems the straightest path to a short Comfortech stock on a home defense build.

Unfortunately, the spacing on the rib doesn't lend itself to cutting to 14 inches, and I needed to start with a 21 inch barrel. I forget how the spacing works on cutting to 18, best to look at some barrel lengths in person and measure for an 18 inch barrel cut.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Unfortunately, the spacing on the rib doesn't lend itself to cutting to 14 inches, and I needed to start with a 21 inch barrel. I forget how the spacing works on cutting to 18, best to look at some barrel lengths in person and measure for an 18 inch barrel cut.
    Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. The gaps in the rib supports are big enough I can see why that’s an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Was your approach for the favorite to just buy a youth model and cut the barrel down? If I ever have a real budget for a defensive shotgun instead of gradually modding an 870 I’m tempted to go that route, cutting the barrel to 18” or so and adding an extension. Seems the straightest path to a short Comfortech stock on a home defense build.
    I don't know if they still make them, but I have a 18 inch M2 with ghost ring sights. I really like it. The only thing I did to it was to add a Nordic (I think) +2 mag extension and some pic rail to mount a flashlight on.

What I heard was that the problems happen when firing the gun with your back or shoulder supported by a solid object (e.g. wall, tree).

Shooting from moving boats is fun!

I have heard reference to that but not personally observed it. I am running 2.75 full power Brenneke slugs and don't aggressively push/pull, and as a result am not concerned for my defensive use of the M2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I had a M1S90 I used for 3 gun back in 07/08. The only time I ever had issues with cycling was at Ft Benning for a 3 gun match. They had cut a “pond” into one of the ranges and filled it with water. We shot from a moving boat. That movement of the boat was enough to rob inertia from the shotguns and most guys running unmodified Benellis had issues w jamming. Guys that had sent their Benellis for bolt lightening mods didn’t have many problems. I sent mine off after the match.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    What I heard was that the problems happen when firing the gun with your back or shoulder supported by a solid object (e.g. wall, tree).

Shooting from moving boats is fun!
    I don’t recall ever having that issue w my M1S90.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I don't know if they still make them, but I have a 18 inch M2 with ghost ring sights. I really like it. The only thing I did to it was to add a Nordic (I think) +2 mag extension and some pic rail to mount a flashlight on.
    They do still make it, as far as I know. I just need a shorter stock (for wife compatibility in addition to my own preferences) and my understanding is that finding the youth Comfortech stock sold separately is both difficult and expensive.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    It seems the 1301 and the Benelli M4 are the hive-mind's choice for shotgun. I shoot both and completely agree these are pretty tough to beat. The M4 is a bit heavy, the 1301 quite a bit lighter, and both are softer to shoot than the old M2 of course.

However, if you want really light weight the M2 Benelli is kind of nice. Have I missed something where the M2 is no longer a first class choice?

My minimalist M2 (ComforTech/standard mag tube/no optics) runs low recoil loads reliably and is within my felt recoil tolerance levels. Within those limits what factor am I missing here? Maybe the M2 is just last decades news?
    Long time Benelli M1 user here (since 1988). Currently own an M1, M1 SBS and a 1301.

I think the posts so far cover most of the issues between the M2 /M4 and the 1301.

There are potential concerns about various things compromising the inertia action of the M1/M2 from low power ammo, to compromised positions, over aggressive push-pull, to hanging too much mass on the gun in the form of ammo and enablers.

The M4 and 1301 address those concerns but as GJM’s photos show, one of the added features of the 1301T is the standard 18” 1301T is nearly the same length as the 14” Benellis without the NFA tax or hassle.

User Tag List