Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What about the M2 Benelli?

What about the M2 Benelli?

It seems the 1301 and the Benelli M4 are the hive-mind's choice for shotgun. I shoot both and completely agree these are pretty tough to beat. The M4 is a bit heavy, the 1301 quite a bit lighter, and both are softer to shoot than the old M2 of course.

However, if you want really light weight the M2 Benelli is kind of nice. Have I missed something where the M2 is no longer a first class choice?

My minimalist M2 (ComforTech/standard mag tube/no optics) runs low recoil loads reliably and is within my felt recoil tolerance levels. Within those limits what factor am I missing here? Maybe the M2 is just last decades news?
    My apologies to weasels.

Site Supporter
    Owning neither but been a 1301 follower as I intend to own one.

1301 Tactical is listed at 6.4 pounds, M2 tactical is listed at 6.6 even with a 14" barrel.

Not that there is anything wrong with it but the 1301 seems to be lighter, softer shooting, similarly equipped as the tactical model and pretty much the same price.

I think also with Langdon and Aridus doing accessories, 1301 has some real room to grow beyond the basics if desired.

I would love to hear any advantages of the Benelli I'm not aware of though, I can admit to not knowing much about it.

I have a 1301, 14 inch M4, and 14 inch M2. Almost always, when I head out in bush Alaska, I grab a M2.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a 1301, 14 inch M4, and 14 inch M2. Almost always, when I head out in bush Alaska, I grab a M2.
    Why do you choose M2 out of the other ones?

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Why do you choose M2 out of the other ones?
    My choice is based on picking the shotgun that I will carry for hours, shoot infrequently, but if I do need to shoot it, it is imperative that it will work.

The M4 is stout but feels like a club, between overall weight and the stock options.

The 1301 is awesome, but it feels fatter in the forend and is harder to select a slug/shot than the M2.

My M2 14 inch shotguns just feel handier, are very easy to go from floated to chambered to unchambered. I like the 14 inch barrels and awesome short LOP Comfortech stocks.

@GJM, can you talk about inertial (M2) vs. gas (1301)? My understanding is that while inertial is simpler, malfunctions can be caused by shooting from unconventional positions that do not allow the gun to move sufficiently during recoil.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @GJM, can you talk about inertial (M2) vs. gas (1301)? My understanding is that while inertial is simpler, malfunctions can be caused by shooting from unconventional positions that do not allow the gun to move sufficiently during recoil.
    I have heard reference to that but not personally observed it. I am running 2.75 full power Brenneke slugs and don't aggressively push/pull, and as a result am not concerned for my defensive use of the M2.

I have an M1 and M2 and in spite of minimal maintenance, I had great reliability with all sorts of ammo. I only complaint I have heard against the benelli inertia system is that the felt recoil is less with a gas system. I've also heard of M2 SBS's having reliability issues with cheap (low brass) bird shot used in training. Again a gas system should be more tolerant of lower powered shells.

I went with the Benelli M1 Super 90, in the early Nineties, and then the M2, in 2016, quite simply because they were the only two auto-loading shotguns OK’-ed by my employer’s firearms policy. When I retired in 2018, I saw no reason to change systems, in the twilight of my shotgunnin’ days, and added another M2.

There was a huge gap, in-between, because the M1 Super 90 had such brutal recoil, I returned to the Remington 870, for a number of years. The old M1 stock beat me, without mercy, at a day-long Select-Slug course, and I sold the M1 Super 90 soon afterward. Actually, breaking a sight adjustment screw, during the class, side-lined the weapon, so I needed a quick substitute gun, for the street, anyway.

In 2016, when I finally got around to trying the Comfort-Tech stock, I kicked myself for not returning to Benelli, earlier.

I may add a Benelli M4, sooner or later. The controls are, IIRC, in the same places as the M2.

The Beretta 1301 “de-selected” itself, as a candidate, for my use, because the safety button is in the “wrong” place, for my long-conditioned reflexes. Many folks just ignore the safety button, but I most certainly DO NOT. The Beretta safety button may, arguably, be located in a superior location, for some folks, but I have never had a problem with the safety button being behind the trigger guard.

If I thought that the Beretta system, or any other system, would lessen the possibility of me being kilt in the streets, I would switch.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-26-2021 at 01:53 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I had a M1S90 I used for 3 gun back in 07/08. The only time I ever had issues with cycling was at Ft Benning for a 3 gun match. They had cut a “pond” into one of the ranges and filled it with water. We shot from a moving boat. That movement of the boat was enough to rob inertia from the shotguns and most guys running unmodified Benellis had issues w jamming. Guys that had sent their Benellis for bolt lightening mods didn’t have many problems. I sent mine off after the match.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List