Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefighting

Firefighting

So, a lot of you know I am a teacher. I love it but the current political climate, quarantining, and stress has made this career a completely different beast for me. I come from a long line of fire fighters, including both of my grandfathers being Chiefs. I just emailed the recruiter today.. any info or good luck wishes are welcome. This is a big move for me because I am 30, just bought a house, and have four kids to support. I am good with money so that isn't a huge deal but a huge weight has just been lifted off my chest.

Site Supporter
    Best of luck to you!

(in before all the police officers start busting your balls)

Site Supporter
    Good luck!

Do it! I know you'll do it well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I’m in the fire service. I’m happy to help. You can hit me up via PM or I have no problem putting it out in public. I’ve sat on interview boards and I think that’s where people get tripped up the most. It’s not like interviewing for a Fortune 500 or probably even teacher. Having family in the service helps to know the culture.

If you’re AO is like mine, fire is hurting for quality people just like the po-po. Squared away people in good shape with a good work ethic and don’t have a shady background shouldn’t have any issues. Unless they require you to have a certain level of training to get hired. Our FD has had to start looking at people with zero training because they can’t find quality people who actually have training. It’s crazy. Use to be hundreds of people competing for jobs. Now it’s dozens of agencies trying to poach good candidates from each other.

Good luck. And even though I’m a cop I won’t bust yours balls. I did both for 5 or 6 years. Volunteer fire and full time cop. It’s a good gig, so long as you know what you’re getting into. Most places aren’t like Backdraft. Fires around here are few and far between. Most of our FD runs are medic runs.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Best of luck to you!

(in before all the police officers start busting your balls)

For what? Being smarter than us? If he wants to get together with a bunch of other men and tug hoses together, who are we to stand in the way of his dreams? Filthy as they may be...

Best of luck!
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So, a lot of you know I am a teacher. I love it but the current political climate, quarantining, and stress has made this career a completely different beast for me. I come from a long line of fire fighters, including both of my grandfathers being Chiefs. I just emailed the recruiter today.. any info or good luck wishes are welcome. This is a big move for me because I am 30, just bought a house, and have four kids to support. I am good with money so that isn't a huge deal but a huge weight has just been lifted off my chest.
    All fireman need a side gig. It's a law or something.

So, what's it going to be: auto mechanic, roofer, electrician, plumber, carpentry ? 30 is old for a moving business. maybe a sandwich shop ?

Maybe tutoring ?

Seriously good luck.

It's kind of a shame about politics being a factor as teachers who are actual male role models are both necessary and increasingly rare but I certainly understand.

One of the best things about catholic high school was an high percentage of "2nd career" teachers who were retired cops and firefighters, many of whom were also vets.

The pipeline was: Graduate HS, Military, come home and get on the PD/FD at 22/23/24 - Night school - retire at 42/43/44 - teach and get summers off while the pension check made the teacher's salary viable.

Site Supporter
    I got hired at 36 (had volunteered for 6 years before that) and it has been the best seven years of my life since then. People occasionally come up to us while we’re out shopping, or whatever, and want to thank us for what we do. It’s embarrassing, and I want to say (and sometimes do) “I can’t believe you people pay us to do this. If you knew how much we loved this job, you wouldn’t.”

My department only runs EMS calls as first responders, no ambulances for us, thank god. I did paid EMS for two and a half years and that is a grind. Actual fires are few and far between. Much more common, and dangerous, is moving the morbidly obese. You will see and smell some disgusting things. Hopefully you have a strong stomach and a sick sense of humor. If you need anything, feel free to PM me.

I was a firefighter for 28 years in northern NJ.
    Started in '88, twelve years as a line officer, 8 years as Chief. Did another 5 down there as a driver/ex-chief.
    We were able to complete many 'upgrades' to the department and the town. It was very rewarding.

Moved up here and was Assistant Chief for 3 years in a very rural department before I retired from the whole thing.

Good luck with your endeavor, and as others have stated, if I can help in any way...

Stay safe.
    Last edited by CSW; 08-26-2021 at 04:52 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List