Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: NYPD going to lighter trigger?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office had a much different finding. Almost all of their NDs involved fingers on triggers.
    Because they were trained to be “on target, on trigger” until the early 2000’s, with a bunch of the old heads not complying with updated training and keeping their fingers on the triggers anyway.

    The report’s authors concluded “that the practice of ‘riding the trigger’ has resulted in an increase in unintentional discharges.”

  2. #12
    Manual safety and proper use thereof coupled with some trigger finger discipline is probably a much better solution than a ridiculously heavy trigger.

    In a high stress environment and/or similar where a cop is startled, stumbles, etc and clenches his fists will he not easily exert 10+ pounds of force? It isn't all that much effort in the big picture.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    Finally someone gets it. the length of trigger travel is more important then the weight when it comes to preventing accidental discharges. If people keep their booger hooks off the bang switch this stuff would not happen. The average person in a startle reflex can easily put 20 or more pounds of pressure . A 12 pound trigger won't stop this. Keeping your finger off the trigger and proper muzzle management will. Rant over.

    It is virtually impossible to say the part in bold without sounding like you are one of the basement dwelling 23 year olds over on arfcom.
    “Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”

    ― George Orwell, 1984

  4. #14
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Manual safety and proper use thereof coupled with some trigger finger discipline is probably a much better solution than a ridiculously heavy trigger.

    In a high stress environment and/or similar where a cop is startled, stumbles, etc and clenches his fists will he not easily exert 10+ pounds of force? It isn't all that much effort in the big picture.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

    Agree totally. If Glock would make a quality TS, I would be Glock all day everyday.


    The thing I liked about the NY1 is it did give more take up, and more importantly made the SCD even more effective.


    Maybe @Mas has some thoughts on this topic.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Okay folks...

    They are issuing them to new recruit classes. Current officers are stuck with the same pistols they have been carrying.

    It's not a bunch of officers who have been running NY triggers that will now have standard triggers.

    The neighboring agency to me (roughly 250 sworn) went from NY triggers to standard triggers with no issues.

    There is a tidbit in there that suggests this is being used a test period to potential lead into re-training of people who are already on the job.


    Accuracy tests showed that 129 officers already working the streets also scored better with the lighter pull.
    What would be the point of testing already serving officers' performance on 5lb triggers unless they're eyeing the potential of a greater transition?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Okay folks...

    The neighboring agency to me (roughly 250 sworn) went from NY triggers to standard triggers with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I personally never found it gave me any issues going back to the standard trigger. I once preferred the NY trigger. Now I prefer the standard.

    (I can't swear that my original preference was based upon carrying revolvers for the first six years or so of my career, but it may enter into it.)
    Are you guys talking about the NY1 Glock trigger, which was developed for either the NY State Police or Suffolk County PD (I cannot remember which one) which brings the trigger pull to about 8 lbs, or the NY2 Trigger, which is specifically made for the NYPD which brings it up to about 12+ lbs?

    I know some people who like the 8lb NY1 trigger better than the standard Glock 5.5 lb trigger because *to them* it feels more revolverlike. I tried the trigger and immediately had it changed back to the standard Glock Trigger. There is also some combo of using a spring from the 8lb Ny1 trigger with the standard Glock trigger that makes it more revolverlike that some people use (I don't know the specifics).

    I have fired a Glock with the 12+ lb NYC NY2 trigger. When I first picked it up I thought the trigger was broken. I much preferred the Sig P226 with a DA only trigger--which at one point was one of the approved list of NYPD handguns. I found the DA only Sig to be more comfortable to manipulate and easier to fire accurately than the Glock with the NYPD NY2 trigger. I am not a fan of the DA only auto trigger, but I would definitely prefer it over the Glock NY2 trigger. I'd rather have a standard Glock trigger over either of those.

    Another factor with the DA only sig trigger is that there is more movement than in a Glock trigger. So if someone does have their trigger on the trigger when they are not supposed to and starts moving it, there is more time to realize what they are doing and stop. I believe several experienced and knowledgeable people have pointed this out on this forum.

  7. #17
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TEXAS !
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Are you guys talking about the NY1 Glock trigger, which was developed for either the NY State Police or Suffolk County PD (I cannot remember which one) which brings the trigger pull to about 8 lbs, or the NY2 Trigger, which is specifically made for the NYPD which brings it up to about 12+ lbs?

    I know some people who like the 8lb NY1 trigger better than the standard Glock 5.5 lb trigger because *to them* it feels more revolverlike. I tried the trigger and immediately had it changed back to the standard Glock Trigger. There is also some combo of using a spring from the 8lb Ny1 trigger with the standard Glock trigger that makes it more revolverlike that some people use (I don't know the specifics).

    I have fired a Glock with the 12+ lb NYC NY2 trigger. When I first picked it up I thought the trigger was broken. I much preferred the Sig P226 with a DA only trigger--which at one point was one of the approved list of NYPD handguns. I found the DA only Sig to be more comfortable to manipulate and easier to fire accurately than the Glock with the NYPD NY2 trigger. I am not a fan of the DA only auto trigger, but I would definitely prefer it over the Glock NY2 trigger. I'd rather have a standard Glock trigger over either of those.

    Another factor with the DA only sig trigger is that there is more movement than in a Glock trigger. So if someone does have their trigger on the trigger when they are not supposed to and starts moving it, there is more time to realize what they are doing and stop. I believe several experienced and knowledgeable people have pointed this out on this forum.
    The P226 DAO is still an authorized NYPD duty gun, The current choices being G19, G17 and P226 DAO. The G17 replaced the S&W 5946 when Smith finally discontinued them completely, though NYPD requires their g17's be used with 15 round mags to match the capacity of the other two duty guns. While I would like to sarcastically say "because/ uniformity," when you have to qualify 1,000 cops per week to ensure all 40,000 cops qualify twice a year details matter.

    At one point the NY-1 spring combined with a minus connector was a popular combo to get a "rolling break," however, it only works in gen 1-3 guns. Due to changes in the internal geometry the combo did not produce good results in the Gen 4 guns. Is there a NY-2 for the Gen 5 ?

    Speaking of generational differences, I wonder how much of the change from NY-2 to standard Glock triggers is driven by the stated desires for improved performance and how much is driven by:

    A) Issues with the NY-2 in gen 5 Glocks now that gen 4's are being discontinued;
    B) and/or the inability of Glock to make a NY-2 trigger for the G43, 43X, 48 ?

  8. #18
    one foot in the gulag... blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns
    @Ed L

    It would have had to have been the NY1 in my case as I can only recall the armorer installing them in my issued and personal Glocks I carried on duty sometime in the 90's. I don't recall ever having them replace the trigger components subsequently...and I think I'd have noticed something approximating the heavier pull of a revolver trigger.
    There's nothing civil about this war

  9. #19
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The P226 DAO is still an authorized NYPD duty gun, The current choices being G19, G17 and P226 DAO. The G17 replaced the S&W 5946 when Smith finally discontinued them completely, though NYPD requires their g17's be used with 15 round mags to match the capacity of the other two duty guns. While I would like to sarcastically say "because/ uniformity," when you have to qualify 1,000 cops per week to ensure all 40,000 cops qualify twice a year details matter.

    At one point the NY-1 spring combined with a minus connector was a popular combo to get a "rolling break," however, it only works in gen 1-3 guns. Due to changes in the internal geometry the combo did not produce good results in the Gen 4 guns. Is there a NY-2 for the Gen 5 ?

    Speaking of generational differences, I wonder how much of the change from NY-2 to standard Glock triggers is driven by the stated desires for improved performance and how much is driven by:

    A) Issues with the NY-2 in gen 5 Glocks now that gen 4's are being discontinued;
    B) and/or the inability of Glock to make a NY-2 trigger for the G43, 43X, 48 ?

    There is an NY1 for Gen5s, but no NY 2 to my knowledge.

    There is an orange NY trigger for the slimline series.

  10. #20
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TEXAS !
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    There is an NY1 for Gen5s, but no NY 2 to my knowledge.

    There is an orange NY trigger for the slimline series.
    I know a NY trigger that worked was a sticking point on their approval of the G43 for many years.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •