Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NYPD going to lighter trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

A whopping 5% increase in accuracy...

(Presuming, of course, the quoted scores are a percentage and not raw points score)

Speaking of, what is the NYPD qual course?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Speaking of, what is the NYPD qual course?
    You may weep; the NY State Department of Criminal Justice has a 50 round qual course from 3 yards to 25 yards, with VERY generous time limits- like 8 rounds in 40 seconds at 25 yards(a reload is mandated).
    It has been a number of years since I spoke with any member of service there, but I recall NYPD at that time had dropped the 25 yard portion…
    Supposedly it was “not relevant in a city environment “.
    That may have changed. I do know NYPD special units(ESU,etc.) shoot more, but I don’t know their specific quals.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Your last sentence is spot on. Our policy requires unloading before storage at home, which I, and others, have tried to get changed for years. My issue Glock is seldom locked up because I have it under my direct control nearly always. When it goes under lock and key, it is loaded and in a holster that covers the trigger guard.
    The recent Glock carrying case lends itself well to being safeguarded from casual tampering by using the issued handcuffs to secure the case and affixing the other cuff to something like a closet rod. That is what I recommend to those who have no other storage options.
    Not to mention the issues with rechambering duty rounds on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    You may weep; the NY State Department of Criminal Justice has a 50 round qual course from 3 yards to 25 yards, with VERY generous time limits- like 8 rounds in 40 seconds at 25 yards(a reload is mandated).
    It has been a number of years since I spoke with any member of service there, but I recall NYPD at that time had dropped the 25 yard portion…
    Supposedly it was “not relevant in a city environment “.
    That may have changed. I do know NYPD special units(ESU,etc.) shoot more, but I don’t know their specific quals.
    I've seen the NYCJ course. Is it what the NYPD shoots?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    About time.

No doubt longer over due!

Unknown at the moment. I will reach out and try to get the specific CoF and report back.

@blues may have some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Unknown at the moment. I will reach out and try to get the specific CoF and report back.

@blues may have some insight.
    I left NYC in 1987. We qualified quarterly at the NYPD range at Rodman's Neck, but our range was run by our own people.

(Our quals were from 3 yards out to 25 yards...60 round course as I recall. PPC or modified PPC if I remember correctly.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Thank you sir. I will see what I can find out about present day practices.

Site Supporter
    Keep in mind:

NYC and to an extent NYPD are the antithesis of a “gun culture.”

As previously noted 40k cops qualifying 2x per year means 1,000 quals per weekly understanding is one “day” qual at the outdoor range in Rodman’s Neck and one “low light” qual at the indoor range in Brooklyn.

NYPD recruits only receive 15 days of “firearms” training while in the academy, including instruction on tactics, the use of tasers and pepper spray. So how many of those 15 days are actual gun handling and marksmanship?

OK, I’ll keep that in mind.
    Do you know the current qualification course(s)[day and “low light”]?

I can barely imagine how it all works, with around 40,000 personnel. IMO, it’s remarkable that there are not more “NDs”, errant shots, etc. given 15 days of multiple tools training…

User Tag List