Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Douchebags who think it's the USG's job to save them (Ukraine Edition)

  1. #1
    Does Not Work For You TGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Back in northern Virginia

    Douchebags who think it's the USG's job to save them (Ukraine Edition)

    https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=qxxv4l&f...qjiR4kPTI23xJE

    This really piqued my interest given some of the comments in the Afghanistan thread. Your status as an American does not provide you some sort of force-field against bad decision making overseas. No, saying "I'm an American citizen" isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card. No, the US is not coming to your rescue just because you're a jackwad. The Consular Section at the embassy has defined and limited scope of duties to check on you if you get arrested, but unless it's a gross breach of human rights or otherwise in the interest of the United States' country strategy (not your interests), they're not going to advocate on your behalf as if they're your automatic and free legal defense team, a SEAL team is not going to bust you out of jail, or the embassy somehow otherwise fairy-dust you out of your bad decisions (as I think someone referred to it over in the Afghanistan thread).

    I'm not sure why Americans think like this other than getting 99% of their international relations/foreign policy and legal education from movies and other forms of media.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

  2. #2
    Site Supporter SecondsCount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Utah, USA
    It is unfortunate but you are describing 50% of Americans, When the government doesn't come to save them, they look for someone to blame besides themselves.

    I worked with a guy who said the victims of Katrina were because they believed in religion. It couldn't have something to do with their strong dependency on the handouts, could it?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

  3. #3
    Site Supporter Trooper224's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Wichita
    And we wonder why the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of d-bags. Honestly, I was hoping he'd get tuned up a bit more.

    When outside the country, it's been my experience that, "I'm an american " is the last thing one should say.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

  4. #4
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The 603
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    And we wonder why the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of d-bags. Honestly, I was hoping he'd get tuned up a bit more.

    When outside the country, it's been my experience that, "I'm an american " is the last thing one should say.
    “I’m a Canadian!”
    Ken

    BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

  5. #5
    one foot in the gulag... blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns
    I'd swear it had to be staged. It truly takes a special kind of stupid...well beyond the norm.
    There's nothing civil about this war

  6. #6
    Does Not Work For You TGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Back in northern Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'd swear it had to be staged. It truly takes a special kind of stupid...well beyond the norm.
    You'd think, but then I could tell you some stories about calls even we had to deal with in my area, where there's really no good reason for an American to be unless you're a terrorist-convert or guest of the government and under heavy armed escort.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

  7. #7
    one foot in the gulag... blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You'd think, but then I could tell you some stories about calls even we had to deal with in my area, where there's really no good reason for an American to be unless you're a terrorist-convert or guest of the government and under heavy armed escort.
    I think it's pretty much a universal truth that any of us in LE are going to experience a boatload of stupidity at various scenes we are called to, or engender.

    But I must admit that this guy was pretty friggin' comical.

    I remember having a little dust-up in Mexico years ago, but I didn't think any cops that might show up would be particularly sympathetic to my either being a gringo...or, worse yet, a pinche agente.
    There's nothing civil about this war

  8. #8
    Dude should be grateful he got arrested before locals took care of his freedom of expression. Story says this happened by the Potemkin Stairs. That's a pretty long way down, especially if a couple of Ukrainians are riding you.
    “Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.

  9. #9
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think it's pretty much a universal truth that any of us in LE are going to experience a boatload of stupidity at various scenes we are called to, or engender.

    But I must admit that this guy was pretty friggin' comical.

    I remember having a little dust-up in Mexico years ago, but I didn't think any cops that might show up would be particularly sympathetic to my either being a gringo...or, worse yet, a pinche agente.

    Bad cops in Mexico? ¡No es posible!


    There are idiots of ever stripe, but American idiots in other countries deeply embarrass me. If I’m going to claim we are the greatest place ever, which I do, then I also have to own our traveling idiots.

  10. #10
    Member Wheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jawja
    When we went to Africa a couple years ago I specifically chose clothing that didn’t have any sorts of flags or other things that would point out to being an American. We also had the family discussion that if something happened it was up to us to get ourselves home. The spousal unit was mostly onboard. The in-laws acted as if I was nuts… They are wonderful people but couldn’t wrap their heads around the fact that people didn’t hold us in awe.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •