Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Tahoe threatened by Caldor fire

Lake Tahoe threatened by Caldor fire

There's a lot of expensive real estate in S. Lake Tahoe. I was there a few years ago and it looked like half of CA had moved there.

If they don't get this fire under control soon there could be millions in property damage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/graison...h=2106573798c9
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I went to Lake Tahoe 15 years ago, back before the beginning of time, for a fall conference ahead of the snows. It was beautiful out there.

My greatest respect goes to the firefighters and the water bomber people.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I'm pretty sure they'll divert resources from other fires to prevent that from happening. It is the poorer & more rural (parts of) towns that are allowed to burn (Paradise, Clear Lake, Greenville, etc)

Full evacuation of South Lake Tahoe ordered. That's 20K people trying to leave today.

With the weather forecast for the next few days the entire town could be smoldering pile of rubble.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carliep...h=4b83f21715f2
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Agggh. May the firefighters be both successful and safe.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Best wishes to the residences and fire fighters.

California needs to get their shit together. Our valley has been filled with smoke from their fires for the last two months causing a lot of health issues for the people of Utah.

I don't know what they fight fires with over there but when we have something catch fire here, they get it put out pretty damn quick. They have had several cases of arson as well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    California needs to get their shit together.
    We are trying with the recall.

This is what our governor has done to help.

And This

Retired career fire fighter here. I also did a few days planning evacuations for the Dixie fire back in July with SAR.

This fire season is downright spooky. Being around the fire personnel in the ICP, I got this feeling of disquiet that usually isn't there. No matter what they throw at these fires, it just isn't working. A few days of occasional rain, or a calm stretch for the winds, usually lets you make solid progress even if it isn't a total win. This year, as soon as any wind comes back we see these huge blowups. The severe drought followed by the record heat dome earlier this Summer has made the fuels super dry. The pyrocumulus are epic, even more dramatic than last year and are a feature on many days of many of these fires. They're launching big embers as much as a mile or two down wind. The calculated probability of ignition when they land has mostly been above 90%, and sometimes 100%. Fire is spotting way past wide dozer lines on a regular basis. A veteran fire behavior analyst on another forum said "there is no slide in the tray for what we're seeing this year."

There is also the epic cock-up of the Tamarack Fire where they chose to monitor it for about two weeks since "there are no values at risk." It went 65,000 acres and burned a lot of valuable land and structures as soon as an easily foreseeable wind came up. But for the most part, they've been trying to kill them as fast as possible after detection. Dixie and Caldor started in tough to access places and got too big too fast to be able to handle.

Hopefully they can save the Coreleone Estate

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Hopefully they can save the Coreleone Estate
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List