Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Gemtech MIST 10/22 Takedown Experience

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    What's the twist on the barrel? It would be awesome if it was fast enough to stabilize Aguila SSS. That's the fly in the ointment with that load. The 1:16" twist of most .22 rimfire barrels doesn't quite get it done for the 60 grainers.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I know S&W just had the first billion-dollar year for a peacetime small arms company, but I don't understand how causing companies that don't compete with one's core product line to not exist by buying them and shutting them down is profitable. I mean, I would totally understand if they bought Taurus and then ran it into the ground. Even if they could pull it off with Ruger, I would get the motivation. But T/C and a silencer company?
    When S&W bought T/C, the prevailing belief was the purchase was solely to add T/C's barrel making capacity and barrel manufacturing knowledge. T/C had a well deserved reputation for accurate barrel making. S&W did and does offer bolt-action rifles, but the single-shot and blackpowder offerings that drove its success were greatly diminished in favor of some bolt-action rifles that failed in the market. As for Gemtech, the only guesses I have is suppressors are needed for the defense RFQs and Ruger is making suppressors, so S&W bought a company that can do both. My guess is S&W will relocate the operations, losing the people with knowledge and skills who will not relocate in the hottest job market of the last fifty years.

I have to give Gemtech credit. They know how to build .22 cans.

I have read online quite often about how you should not have a .22 can that you are unable to take apart, and that they will be useless in short order. The one that Doc Dater gave me was an early model that was not able to be disassembled. Whenever it gets gunked up, I take tongs and run the hottest tap water I can through it along with some dish soap, rinse repeat until I get a bunch of crud out. Then squirt a little oil through it and pop a couple of test rounds.

In 20+ years it has been used to fire a substantial amount of bricks of Remington subsonic, (back when you could actually buy Rem subsonic in bricks and not in the little 100 round packs). Lot of other brands too. Some years back I figured that one day there might be a run on .22 shells and put in a supply of standard velocity .22 just to be safe. I bought standard velocity stuff by the case, and was quite glad I did it when I did. It proved to be one of the smarter gun/ammo purchases of the time.

Best tax stamp ever.

Agreed that the old Gemtech .22 rimfire products were well worth the cost. My second purchase, and first Gemtech, was a Seahunter. That used a titanium tube and aluminum alloy baffle structure. It is not able to be user disassembled. I clean it by immersing it in Kroil overnight, removing it, letting as much Kroil/lead/powder slurry drain from the tube, and then force compressed air through it. The Kroil gets under the lead/cabron/powder gunk quite well.

I have cases of the old Remington Subsonic as well as the Gemtech subsonic, and I do not know how many cases have passed through it.

My OB2 started at 2.5oz, now weighs 7.5oz... about 30k rounds through it. I’ve tried all the sealed 22 can cleaning magic but it’s finally too far gone. Lived on lots of hosts, from Beretta bobcat to 10/22’s, to 22/45, and my 15/22 SBR for a long time. The SWR Warlock 2 has taken its place since then.

Not complaining at all, the $250 can and stamp was well worth all the joy it has given me. Even at only $200/case, it ate over $1200 worth of rimfire. Just slowly deciding on my recore options.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Have you tried "the dip?"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Have you tried "the dip?"
    The dip eats aluminum.

@Doc_Glock I'm really interested in how this turns out. If I were to get a can, yours is the exact setup I would get.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    @Doc_Glock I'm really interested in how this turns out. If I were to get a can, yours is the exact setup I would get.

I got a line for a good machinist locally and will be having the thing cut, because at this point screw Gemtech. I don't want the can out of my local control.

Which is a shame because this is my third Gemtech can and I have another (S&W 15-22 upper) in process.

Also otherwise the MIST thing seems pretty cool. The outer serialized can unscrews readily for cleaning purposes. It seems relatively accurate with minimags, but I really need to get a supply of standard velocity to quiet it a bit.
    @OlongJohnson twist is 1:16 and there is a specific warning about 60 grain ammo in the instructions.

WARNING: Do not use 60 gr. Subsonic 22LR
    ammunition in GEMTECH MIST-22® OR MIST-22®TD
    Suppressed Barrels. Gemtech has found that the ammunition
    may fail to stabili ze in most barrel twists
    readily available, and as a result the ammunition can
    yaw on exit from the rifling and may seriously dam -
    age the internal components of the suppressor.

https://www.gemtech.com/amfile/file/...6/product/375/

Of all the cans out there, 9mm, .30 cal, .45, whatever. I honestly think the lowly .22 rimfire suppressor offers the best bang for the buck and return on investment for most shooters.

Most people I know who have them, shoot the snot out of them. Jandbj's post is the perfect example. 30K rounds is a pretty healthy amount of ammo. Not too many dudes are going to put that through their .30 cal rifle can or even a 9mm version.

I have quite often taken mine camping and sat in a chair and plinked at pine cones just for grins. When I am in the woods, I would rather enjoy the silence, and I am sure if anyone is in the area, they would too. Plus there is no reason to attract attention to myself, or my location. Sitting in a lawn chair with a drink and a few fifty round boxes of ammo is quite relaxing and does not bother anyone.

I maaay have messed with a chipmunk not too long ago at a location that kept going after pinecones. He would come down a tree, and be almost to his prize and the cone would go bouncing a few feet away. Little guy was perking up, looking around with a "WTF?" look.

After a couple times, I let him get his prize, then started to bounce cones towards the tree.

Good times!

User Tag List