Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Garmin Inreach Mini?

I like the garmins as opposed to some of the other options that require a phone for the interface. There's no guarantee my cell phone wont be damaged or lost when the emergency is created

Other side of that coin, looks like they now have a device that is almost solely paired with a phone, other than SOS and location tracking.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/793265

Looks like it basically removes all ability to use for navigation and only works for messaging

Name:  IMG_0988.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0989.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0990.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  15.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0991.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  20.4 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/survival...-trail-rescue/

16 Stranded Hikers Rescued in Oregon After Blisters Prevented Them from Hiking Out
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My wife and I have used the InReach Mini for several years. We wanted our emergency device to be completely separated from our usual navigation GPS and cell phone so that we wouldn't inadvertently have burned the battery down or created a single point of failure.
    It's small, relatively cheap, and very reliable. We have the cheapest subscription since for us it's pretty much for emergencies only and very rare convenience use.
    We have a standard set or pre-programmed messages that we send to trusted contacts with our nightly camping spots when we're way out.
    We also have pre-programmed messages to those same contacts with generic versions of "we need help" such as stuck, mechanical breakdown, or medical emergency. All of these can be sent from the device menu with no phone interface.
    You can also link it to your cell phone via the app and send fresh messages to either other InReach devices, email, or cell contacts.

User Tag List