Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I shoot vertically, can't figure out why

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Bigger target?
    The thing I like about 5-7 yards is that you can use cheap copy paper and sharpies.

AND immediately see the hits for people who aren’t yet able to call shots.

The direct visual feedback is more efficient for learning rather than delayed follow up of bringing the target back to look at hits.

Not as important when you’re more advanced and can call shots and retain memories of hits.

But for beginners, clearer and temporally linked feedback is more helpful.

Good points. On the other hand, when people focus on holes appearing on target, they can start looking at the hole instead of the correct point of aim. That's why I suggested 15yds in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    The thing I like about 5-7 yards is that you can use cheap copy paper and sharpies.

AND immediately see the hits for people who aren’t yet able to call shots.

The direct visual feedback is more efficient for learning rather than delayed follow up of bringing the target back to look at hits.

Not as important when you’re more advanced and can call shots and retain memories of hits.

But for beginners, clearer and temporally linked feedback is more helpful.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Good points. On the other hand, when people focus on holes appearing on target, they can start looking at the hole instead of the correct point of aim. That's why I suggested 15yds in this case.
    Agreed and that’s what I am suspecting happened. That he was seeing the upper edge of the green splatter border over his irons and kept moving the target upwards.

Which is why I asked he do no more than 5 shots and then move to the adjacent target dot.

Experimentally it’ll sort out if it was vision or fatigue that contributed. If he centers back down on the fresh circle then it’s vision.

Variations in grip tightness can cause vertical stringing.

Keep after it. Consider the following. Every round you fire is a learning experience. Don't just shoot a group and evaluate the grouping. Doing that you are cheating yourself out of valuable learning. If your round didn't go exactly where you intended it to, then why not? Be critical. Think about what you just did. Depending upon your experience level that may sound a little daunting. However if you become more critical about what you are doing it will pay off and you will develop a deeper understanding.

Start from the ground up. Establish a good & proper stance. Make it repeatable. Same with your grip on the pistol. Get yourself some NRA B8 repair centers. Change frequently and keep track of your score. Strive to get 100/100 (each shot is 10 points). If you can score 100 increase the distance.

Rather than me trying to type forever take a gander at these videos. FYI don't just watch them. Bookmark them and refer back to them. As your level of experience and understanding grows you will get more from and understand better the information being presented.

It's good that you are considering this, because in my experience pre-ignition push is a much bigger problem in shooters of all levels than trigger discipline. Typically when people try to fight recoil during firing or return the gun to target before it's fired (pre-ignition push), there is a strong low left or right pattern. So, I kind of doubt that's what your issue is. But you can investigate:

Load gun, remove magazine, "shoot" two shots. Only the first shot will be live. The second will be dry. Watch the sights very carefully during both trigger presses.

As @JCN suggested, it may be as simple as not looking (and aiming) at the same place on the target during each shot. I like 15yds for basic group shooting.

You're not shooting a Gen1 M&P, are you (sort of joking on this one)?
    That's a good one! (bolded)

I'm seeing this vertical stringing along a 12:00 axis myself when shooting the noticeably lighter LW Operator vs my all steel 1911s albeit I see it at 25 yards not up close. Cause has been elusive to me although of late I have thought I may be over gripping in terms of grip pressure as trying to fix it by winching down harder seemed to exacerbate it. @1slow And furthermore, I'm seeing none of this with Glocks which strikes me as funny but not haha funny.

I also see it more warming up with slow fire than putting some time pressure on the shots which further argues for some mentally induced problem I think. I guess they're all mentally induced at some level though.

Dry fire looks good but limited live fire volume isn't helping the situation.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-27-2021 at 05:20 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List